Lighting Help

With my new 40 gallon tank I got a 24 inch plain florescent hood. I haven't used it because I have been using my 20 inch T-5. The bulbs are dimming dramatically in the T-5. I do have some dark spots in the corner of the the tank as it only stays light in the middle. The 24 inch still isn't quite long enough, but would reduce the dark areas, but would be less strong light.

So, the question is do I get a bulb for the flourescent or replace the T-5 bulb? I wanted to run them both, but they don't fit on the tank together.

The plants are starting to look a bit sad. Lots of brown algae and yellow spots.

I think I am leaning towards the T-5 as well. It is a great light and I can keep my two fake plants in the darker corners. Eventually I should probably invest in a longer t-5 strip, but those are way too pricey for me.

Yeah I know what you mean by pricy. I just shelled out $140 CA for a 24" strip. The ballest did'nt even come with a bulb, I was disapointed but opted for the full spectrum bulb. Well worth the investment, the guys are loving the new light, they even seem more active :)

i too need to invest im some lighting. i have all live plants, heavily planted tank actually, and with the care i have been doing, they have been doing great, but i need a better lighting source so that they can do even better. T-5 ftw !