I Want To Start Off

2008paul

I've only ever had fish tanks and we have just had our garden done so now I want to get a pond outside. I don't want to spend no more than ?100 on the tube. I also want a plastic one like this > http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/pond-supplies/pond-equipment/pre-formed-ponds/pre-formed-ponds-deliverable/laguna-rectangular-goldfish-tub-106x56x28cm.html

Can be that shape or any other shape.

So, Where do I start & what should I buy? I'm looking for one that I can hold about 10 normal goldfish.

Also, how easy are they to look after?

Thanks

Paul

I know the 10 gallons per fish rule still applies, if not more so. Depending on your filter, you might end up needing more gallons per fish than ten.

Koi need like 300 gallons per fish.

Humm. I don't own a pond, but I do know that you need to know how deep down your ground freezes and what climate zone you are in. They have numbers and letters I think. That and the depth of your pond tell you if you can have fish outside all winter.

If your pond will freeze solid, obviously you need to have indoor winter accommodations for your fishies; which, aside from not having the funding for a pond, is why I do not own one.

If your pond won't freeze solid in the winter, I do know that somehow you need to maintain a breathing hole in the ice. I don't know if a fountain would do this or if you have to waddle out in your jammies every morning to pop a hole in the freezing slop we call winter in upstate NY. Another reason I don't have a pond.

Some people have predator issues with their ponds. Big birds, raccons, FROGS and snakes may come try to eat your fish. So you should probably have a protective screen you can slap on there at night.

I love, love, love the way ponds look and sound. I dream of having one someday. Maybe. If I live someplace warm.

Hopefully someone who actualy OWNS a pond will pop by to help you out! I don't know anything more than enough to appreciate the work and time that goes into a pond. hehe!

If your pond won't freeze solid in the winter, I do know that somehow you need to maintain a breathing hole in the ice. I don't know if a fountain would do this or if you have to waddle out in your jammies every morning to pop a hole in the freezing slop we call winter in upstate NY. Another reason I don't have a pond.

There are little round floating heaters that are sold in pet stores that keep a hole open in the ice during winter. :)

Yep, Iheartfishes is right. You are going to need AT LEAST a 100g tub with a 1000gph pump or filter.

You can find preformed ponds in all sorts of shapes. Just look at a local hardware store and they should have a plethora of shapes. And if not, I'm sure they could order one for you. It's easier to find them at the beginning of spring into early summer.

I'm not sure how expensive the tubs are in the UK, but plan on spending at least $80US on the tub, and another $80US on the pump if you are going to do a DIY filter (and another $40 or so on the box and plumbing), or up to $300US on the filter if you are buying one.

You need to have a filter so you must take into account the cost of that. Also if you wanted to add plants figure in the cost of those as well.

By regular goldfish do you mean single tails? If so, double the volume you will need. Then I would probably double that for the space that those "10 cent feeder" fish need. They grow huge, and they grow fast.

Ponds are pretty easy to care for as long as you have all the right parts (read: proper filtration). I have a 120g pond and do a water change about once every other week (it's really rainy this summer) and other than that, it takes care of itself. Of course I have to fish out falling leaves and other debris almost everyday, but I don't really consider that work.

You will definitely want a net or something to keep raccoons and herons out of there. You can lose all your fish in a single visit.

You are also going to have to call your local utilities company to come out and mark all the pipes and electrical lines in your backyard so you don't run into anything when digging.

It's a LOT of work to put in a pond, and it's a HUGE investment. But I feel it's worth every penny. :)

:goodluck