What are the tank requirements for these guys? I find them real cute! I wanted to put them with my neons - they go good together right? Are they bottom fish? Will they need hideouts etc? Are they group fish?

Here's a good article on Corys, Federica. They do best in tropical tanks and would be excellent with your Neons. I have six assorted Corys and they do great in my community tank, they don't bother any of the other Neons and Cardinals, and they also are very friendly and comical. :lol1

-Dennis

Cory Cats Info

I have 6 corys and 11 neons in a well planted 24 gallon and they get along fine. They are bottom fish and mine eat a mixture of food, mainly algae pellets and hikari sinking food, plus anything else that lands on the bottom. They are more active in the evening when the lights go off and swim more all over the tank and seem to like the current. They do like somewhere to hide as they can be quite shy (mine aren't though). Mine like the darker areas under some mopani wood and at the base of plants and have regular chill out sessions there. They are a group fish, 5-6 of an individual species is best but I have 3 peppered and 3 albino and they seem ok in those smaller numbers. You get more natural behaviour with a larger group though.

I love them, I'd like a huge tank with a few types in :)

Thnx everyone! Will they be fine in warmer waters? 27-28ish??? How many gallons do I need per fish???

27-28 is pretty warm, I think I read they're happier at up to 26... and stocking depends on the size of your tank, and the size of your group. Personally I would say a group of 3 would at need 10 gallons, so at least 20 gallons for 5-6.

Yep, lclayton's very close on the levels. Water temp should be 25-26 degrees C, and Corys like to be kept in groups of 5-6. I have four in my 20 gallon tank and they do fine. You can keep different species of Corys together too, they all do well together. I have Albinos, Bronze, and Panda Corys together and they are a happy bunch. Here's a link to stocking levels in aquariums for tropical fish.

-Dennis

Tropical Stocking Levels

Edited by blackteles

Thanx! I was wondering about the temps as my tank has been over heating a bit with the heat. I think it is also stressing the neons... Have to try get it down...

Okey thanx for all the info!

how would I need to QT them? I have a large tank, but I don't want too many of them. Could I just have 3 of them? and then I provide them with a cave?

Hey Federica...a QT tank for three would be great but you don't need anything huge...10 gallon tank would be fine. Just watch them for about three weeks to see if any issues arise. I have kept a group of three albino Corys and they did fine together, even better since I added a Panda Cory to the mix. Keeping three has never been a problem for me, they have thrived and grown quickly. I keep the tank fairly well planted which gives them a place for time out. A cave would be a nice resting spot for them too.

-Dennis