Oh No Something Is Wrong With Einstein...

40 gallon tank

3 fish

10x filtration

temp - 25C

ammonia - 0

nitrites - 0

nitrates - 0

tank lost cycle due to the ich outbreak (salting) (still dealing with that) - I do frequent w/c to keep all the params 0.

pH tap - 7.6

pH tank - 8.5

tap water is ages 5-6hrs before water changes to get the pH to match.

tank has 0.3% salt for the ich.

use Prime. Feed Saki Hikari, broccoli, krill, peas etc...

worries: Einstein, my redcap, is usually very active. SInce yesterday I keep seeing him bottom sitting - and he will snap out of it when I go next to the tank. this is very worrying as he NEVER bottom sits... His dorsal is also a bit clamped when he does this. I checked his body and he has nothing out of the ordinary - no ich spots either. his tail veins - that get red very quick when something is irritating him, are not visible. what can it be? could the ich be attacking him somehow? I have read that some fish die of ich without any visible signs! HELP!!!

waiting for bf to come home so he can help me do a large water change - new hosing doesn't allow for 1person water change - unless I was speedy gonzalez!

I had gone down to 0.2% - 0.1% when I added the UV about 3 weeks ago - ich seemed gone - and now it seems to be back on Sir Archie - so I went back up to 0.3% about a week ago... Not sure why the UV hasn't killed all yet! All in all these poor guys have had salt in their tank for about 3months.... :doh11: you think this is what is stressing him? Koko gave me the name of a good ich remedy - maybe I should try that instead of the salt? The ich infestation isn't very aggressive - Sir Archie has about 3 spots on him... Some cysts formed a tiny spot of fungus on them - why is that??? I thought salt killed all? Maybe the salt is no longer efficient since it has been in there so long... :doh11:

Are you sure it's ich? Whereabouts on the tail are the spots? Rusty sleeps on the bottom of the tank and gets spots on her tail when I haven't scrubbed the bottom of the tank for a while. If there's only 3 spots on 1 fish that doesn't sound like ich to me, particularly with the aggressive salt treatment for so long. I would bring it down again to 0.1% for a few days and if nothing changes, take it out. I wouldn't add meds until you know what it is. You run a risk of the ich, if it is ich, arising again if you take the salt out, but if it's lasted this long anyway I suspect it's resistant to salt and you'll have to rely primarily on the UV. Are you sure the wattage is high enough for the flowrate through the UV to zap everything? Can you get some photos?

Get some more opinions on taking the salt out - it is risky and there is always a chance I'm barking up entirely the wrong tree...

I am sure it WAS ich. now I am not sure it is STILL ich! I tried getting some pics but they just move too much... what is weird is the fungus part... the spots are at the end of his tail, on end ends of his pectoral fins, and on the tip of his dorsal. The fact that keeps me wondering is that they are all in the 'tips' - nothing is in the middle of the tail etc... I will remove the salt when I do the next w/c... will go down to 0.2 and check - 0.1 tomorrow...

as for the UV I will try to look for a smaller pump. mine has 150liters per hr - and it the man at the store told me that it could be a tiny bit too fast. so I will look for a 100 one - but that is so slow and tiny I am not ever sure it exists!

they looks like cysts - with fungus trailing from them...

Can you put him in a clear jug or something? Or a glass bowl? After a few seconds where they work out they can't actually go anywhere they should settle right down. Just put one of them in, get some photos and then back in the main tank while you get another fish if needed.

I will see if I can do that... Sir Archie is the only one with the spots - he is HUGE! so he needs like a gallon bowl of something :blink:

Maybe when you're due to do a water change on one of the betta tanks you could empty it, fill it with goldie tank water, put him in and take pics, then wash it out well before filling it up again for the betta?

I hope you figure out what this is Federica , it doesn't really sound like ich to me either.

I agree that you guys that you should reduce the salt, they're going to be pickled otherwise. :D

Good luck with the pics of Sir Archie. :)

Okey so good and bad news.

Good news - they have all perked up a bit. The water change last night + new salt has done the trick for the fungus on sir Archie. All the fungus threads etc are totally gone. All spots are gone except 1.

Bad news, tried to take a pic of it but it really doesn't show! Might need a new camera....

So the plan is to reduce the salt with a w/c tonight and wipe the floor extra well. He could have picked up the fungus from the floor... Then i will keep the salt at 0.2 for a couple of days and if all goes well i go down again.

If by any chance the fungus comes back - could I try treating it with prima fix instead of salt?

That is good news! I've used Pimafix in cases like his and it did work. It would be worth a try if it does come back. :)

A little update. Last night I did a 50percent w/c, not replacing any salt. I also cleaned all the floor+sides well.

Today they are still all acting a bit lethargic. I am seeing stress poop too. I will redo a 50percent w/c in a few hrs- I am aging the water now...

What else could be wrong with them? Sir archie's spots are gone except one-which has fungus on it. Should I let it be till tomorrow and add the Primafix if it isn't gone by then? They often bottom sit, but mostly with the fins unclamped, like they are extra tired...

I will give them peas for dinner incase it's intestinal related. Poor dears... I think the weather could also have something to do with it, we had a crazy fall from 45 degree HOT weather to 24 and rainy... I guess they can feel the change in pressure or whatever.

They have been on and off salt for about 3 months now. But they never showed such signs of stress... Now they (especially Sir Lancelot) just look exhausted... They still eat well tho.

okey so I turned off the new Bubbler (it has 2 outputs) and suddenly the fish started gulping :thud so now I hooked one of the outputs into a bubble wand I had (the original ones are bubble things from eheim - quit strong) and put the second one up at the surface, so it doesn't really work... now the fish seem better - swimming around and no gulping. :bounce

Sir Lancelot still sometimes flicks his dorsal and yawns - flukes still? I treated him for a month with Prazi in QT....

Let's say he does it about 5 times a day that I can see. I am not always watching the tank tho.

Good news, today they are looking much better! I will do another 50% w/c after lunch and take out the last of the salt. I will keep an eye on one spot Archie has left - maybe I add a bit of Primafix.