Sign in to follow this  
Bluefish

What's Wrong With My Fish?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 ppm

[*]Nitrate level? not sure (test kit ran out)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test kit

[*]Water temperature? 78 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90 gal, about 2 years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

a sump

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly, recently 50% every 3 days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 7, ranging from 4-6 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari lionhead, once per day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? goldfish on medigold for 3 weeks now

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Frayed fins (some re-growth seen now)

-red spots (looks like a red scale)on the sides of 3 goldfish, one goldfish also has 2 on the dorsal fin

-one goldfish has white milky spots on its head

-there are also some white scales, not sure if they could be missing scales/healing from knocked off scales?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

-gasping at surface after eating in the morning, one head stands sometimes (not sure if constipation)

I think my goldfish may have a problem, either bacterial or parasites..Can somebody help me with a diagnosis?

I'm not sure how long they've had the spots; one fish has always had one on the dorsal fin, and it was only recently I saw the same thing on other fish.

I fed medigold because at first I thought it was bacterial, but the spots are still there after 3 weeks of medigold. Should I stop using this since there's no change? What should I do? Thanks.

Please check your pH of the tank and tap as soon as you possibly can. A few of the symptoms sound like they could possibly be pH related, and it would be best if we could rule that out early on. Also can you try to upload a picture or two of the problems your fish are having? Photobucket.com is a great photo-hosting site you can use. You upload the photo there, hover over it to get the "direct link", and post the direct link on this thread by using the "insert image" button. Hope that helps :)

keep up the WC for sure if you see regrowth that is a good sign...and also adding a little salt helps with healing I think its 1 tsp per gallon I will have to double check

I agree with Sakura. Make sure you test both tank and tap pH. Maybe (like me) your tap pH is lower than your tank one - is this case all your w/c could be stressing them.

best of luck!

Everyone here has given good advice. Would you happen to be able to get a nitrate test kit soon just so we can see where everything is? I'm guessing it's cycled due to it being running for 2 years. How often did you do water changes before all of this happened? If you have some jumpstart on hand, I would feed that to your fish too just to get their intestinal tracts back up and running after the course of medigold.

I also agree with Sakura, this could be pH related.

Well, my last water change was Sunday; I tested pH now and both tap and tank are 7.2. kH was the same as well (dKh 6) :blink: For nitratets, my old nitrate kit says 5ppm, but its expired so it's probably not accurate; I'll look into getting a new one soon. Looking back, my water changes weren't always as frequent as I'd like, but I tried to aim for once a week..but it was sometimes every 2-3 weeks when though. What could be causing those red spots?

Well your parameters seem good. :hmm I do think you should stop the medigold if it doesn't appear to be helping, and three weeks is getting to be kind of a long time for an antibiotic treatment. Are the fish acting fine (still eating well, swimming normally, no fin clamping)? How often do you clean out your filter, filter media, and filter tubes in a bucket of old tank water? Do you have gravel in the tank, and if so how deep is it? Do you have any ornaments, and are they hollow? Any other decorations?

I think the next thing to try would be a good clean out of the filter and all it's parts in a bucket of old tank water. For the filter media you just want to lightly swish in old tank water. Sometimes junk can get stuck in the filter and be bad for the fish. If your gravel is deep (one inch or more) you can start to remove a few cups of it per day. This is because deep gravel is a perfect breeding ground for bad bacteria and parasites that you do not want in the tank. Any hollow ornaments should be removed asap, because they create areas of stagnant water inside that are ideal for breeding bad bacteria. Any other ornaments should be assessed to make sure they are not sharp. You may want to start a treatment of aquarium salt, but it's hard to advice a treatment without seeing some photos of the problem. Please upload some photos if you can.

Oh about the gasping at the surface after eating: do you have a bubble wand of any sort in the tank? I've heard that any leftover food in the tank that the fish miss uses up a lot of oxygen as it decomposes. So add a bubble wand, and also try to be very careful about removing food they haven't eaten (if you don't already that is). Secondly, sometimes oils from the food remain on the surface of the water, so the fish gulp after being fed because they are just "tasting" those oils and trying to eat them. :) This is pretty normal.

I agree with Sakura about the good cleaning. this is especially important since you weren't doing the weekly w/c, so something nasty must have found a nice home in the gravel by now :rolleyes:

good luck!

It's a barebottom tank so no gravel and the only decoration is a piece of driftwood. I think I last cleaned the filter (squeezed the sponge in conditioned water in a bucket) 2-3 weeks ago. There's also a bubbler in the corner for some extra oxygen. I was home all day today and noticed that the gasping goes on for longer than I thought..pretty much on and off for the whole day; their favourite spot is the top left corner, but they do it all over the tank and they only seem to stop in the evenings :( I wonder if its because the tank is too hot- can't get the temperature below 78F. The red spots worry me too-I read that costia can cause that; does this sound like costia or some parasite? I'm wondering if I should start salting or doing salt dips.

:krazy:

I think you should start by adding an extra airstone. With higher temps the water holds less dissolved oxygen. see if that helps. maybe in the meantime you could remove the driftwood? I am not sure but I believe some members had problems with driftwood causing all sorts of problems... :ignore

and a water change with temp+pH matched water.

another thing - have they all been prazied before? do they ever do some flashing around? like they want to scratch? Or flick their dorsal fin?

Hmmm try lowering the water level so that the filter creates a splash which will help with oxygenating the water. You can also have a fan blow some air across the surface of the water to help it cool down.

Some pictures of the red spots would be great, Do you think you could get any pictures of them?

78 is slightly warm, but it's not really all that bad. Adding another bubble wand like Federica suggests would be a good thing, and I also agree that you should try removing your driftwood. Just for now, to see if it helps. Driftwood can cause a lot of problems, but unfortunately I don't know the specifics. I've seen Koko say that it caused fish deaths for her though.

I know I keep harping on you about this, but honestly the red spots are going to be impossible to diagnose properly without a photo. Is there any way you can get photos?

Edited by Sakura

I think the driftwood over time will actually lower the pH with the tannins I think and can turn your water brown or tan as well, so a pH reading might be helpful too. Have you noticed any slime coat coming off of the fish?

I don't want to add to the all posts going on but I really agree w/ getting some photos taken. if you have a digital camera use the macro function which looks like a flower. make sure you have good lightening in the room, tank light on, and play around using the flash or having it off. if the pictures aren't sharp when you go for close ups then don't zoom in, instead zoom out b/c you can edit the photo later. then the site most used here to upload your pictures to are photobucket.com. you can edit your photos on this site once uploaded and it's so simple even a caveman can do it or someone like me! :)

no one is going to tell you if you have costia, parasite, or disease w/out picture confirmation. it's too risky to suggest treatments as the wrong medications can do more harm than good and can even cause death.

1. get pictures
  2. test pH from tap and tank
  3. test nitrate and continue testing for ammonia and nitrite
  4. give the sump a good cleaning if you haven't already. make sure to use either old tank water or dechlorinated tap water
  5. have they ever been treated for flukes?
  6. how much surface splash do you have in the tank? if it's low try and lower the water level.
  7. your airstone, does it make big or small bubbles? small bubbles are best. also think of adding additional bubblers to your tank as it is so large.
  8. driftwood will lower pH if it's real wood. is it a faux piece of driftwood?--this can also create problems.

hope I didn't leave anything out that was already mentioned previously. Having sick fish is hard, we all know this, so I just wanted to bullet everything for your convenience. please post back w/ an update!

I'm so sorry to keep you all waiting; here are the long awaited pics. The quality isn't that great (they wouldn?t cooperate) but hopefully you can see the red spots/scales. I'll try to get better ones later.

2010_06272010_goldfish0027.jpg

2010_06272010_goldfish0023.jpg

2010_06272010_goldfish0021.jpg

2010_06272010_goldfish0018.jpg

2010_06272010_goldfish0016.jpg

2010_06272010_goldfish0015.jpg

I removed the driftwood during this morning?s waterchange and the parameters are still the same (pH 7.2, 0ppm, 0ppm, 5ppm)They have been prazied before a few years ago I think; there's no flashing that I can see, just the gasping.

The tank doesn't get much surface splash unfortunately (the water level needs to come up to te black trim for the sump to work)-it was the way the tank was designed I guess.

2010_06272010_goldfish0032.jpg

The bubbler is part of a sponge filter in the corner; I guess it makes medium sized bubbles. I'm going to try opening the lid for now to see if it helps.

Hmmm those red spots just looks like the scales grew in darker. My ryukin has a big red scale on the bottom of his belly where he was missing one. I'm not exactly sure why it happens, but it just looks like new scale growth.

Your fish are absolutely beautiful by the way.

Edited by Tay

I agree with Tay, the darker spots actually look pretty normal to me. The fins seem a little ragged though, have they always been that way, or is that something new?

Edited by Sakura

Phew, I'm glad that the red scales are normal, thought they might be getting some disease :P I thought it was weird that its happening to more than one. Thanks for the help you guys. The raggedy fins are from some fin rot they're recovering from; frequent water changes seem to be doing the trick. :)

Oh I'm glad the water changes are helping the fins. Water changes always seem to be a good cure-all :) Do let us know if anything changes or the fish get worse, but yeah the red spots just look like a more intense area of color.

just a reminder that you may not need, but every water change needs 2b dechlorinated, temp and pH matched.