Sign in to follow this  
Guest JennaGirl

Ick- Help Newbie

Guest JennaGirl

Hellooo People,

I been lurking for awhile now and meant to register earlier. There are really great people on this board. :)

Sad to say my first post is my oranda goldfish- Miley- is sick. She has a white bump on her top fin and a white spot on her wren. She usually is very upbeat but today she has been very antisocial and in the corner by herself. I lost another oranda goldfish three weeks ago and her head was filled with white spots but no spots on the fin.

I did make a mistake in not cycling the tank when I first got the fish. I believe my tank had eventually cycle a month ago. My nitrites were high and then it disappear. I still have not gotten any nitrate reading. I have done a 50% water change since my oranda died. I also replaced the 2 filter pads and left the biowheels on there.

I have been reading up on the treatments for ick. I am not sure if I should raise the temperature of my tank since it is summer where I am at. It has been a hot summer in the east coast. I also didn't want to put more salt in the tank.

Can anyone help me please!

Thanks so much J~

[.15]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[0]Nitrate level?

[6.7]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[6.5]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

{API tube tester]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[76 F]Water temperature?

[35 gallons for 4 months]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[Marineland Emperor power filter 400 with 2 biowheels]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[10-20% a week]How often do you change the water and how much?

[4 about 1.5 inch]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[API]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[soaked Pellets, banana, egg yolk]What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank? [no]

Any medications added to the tank? [no just added 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt]

Hi there! Welcome to Koko's!

I'm sorry you lost your fish and that your other fish is sick!

I've never dealt with Ick, but salting the tank was a very good idea. You may also want to raise the heat, to speed up the parasite's life cycle. To what degree I'm not sure. I'd wait for a Mod to come by.

I'm afraid you are slightly over stocked though, which could compound your parasite problem. Fancy goldies need ten gallons each, and commons, with the long thin bodies, need 20. Don't fret though.

Your PH is also a little low. I'm not an expert in that area either, but the safe PH for goldies is, if I remember correctly, 7 or higher.

Whatever you do, remember that goldies don't handle change so well. You need to give them time to adjust to changes in water chemistry, like the addition of salt and changing PH or water temperature.

I'm sorry I'm not such a help, but a Mod will come by to help you shortly!

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

Hi and Welcome to Koko's. :)

Iheartfishies has already mentioned some interesting this to you. For your ph you could add some crushed coral to your filter which will help raise and stabilize your ph.

About the Ich is here any chance you could get a picture up just so we can see exactly what we're dealing with?

The other thing I would watch is your water params since your tank is not quite cycled yet you want to keep the ammonia down as much as possible through frequent wc's.

You could raise your salt to 0.1%, that is 1 teaspoon salt per gallon. If you are indeed battling Ich then you will need to raise it even higher but it will take a few days to raise it. Don't go higher than 0.1% yet. :)

Do you have any gravel in your tank and how thick is it?

Guest JennaGirl

Thanks for responding Iheartfishes1172 and caitie! :)

Much appreciation for the kind words and your advice so far. I am going to get a bigger tank, found a great deal on CL. I am going to get the crushed coral as well. My ph has always been very low.

My gravel is about half of inch. I been vacuuming the tank. I guess I am on a mini cycle now since I did such a huge water change. Should I get rid of my biowheels? Would the Ick go there? I guess they would if I made an educated guess.

Here is a pic I got from another post. My fish has the same exact bump on the top of her dorsal fin. It looks like a bump. She doesn't have that red spot though. Is the bump normal and not ick?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4814237303_3889502760.jpg

Good for you about the bigger tank your fish will love the extra space.:)

Your cycle bumb comes more from the fact you changed the 2 filter pads at once than the big water change. Good bacteria are on the media and surfaces, not really in the water.

You will need to do frequent wc's and vacuum the gravel very well because as the parasites fall off the fish the will drop in the gravel. Remember to keep track of the salt you remove with every wc. So if you have 1 teaspoon per gallon and you remove 5 gallons for a wc then you need to put back in 5 teaspoons salt with the new water.

What temperature is your tank at now? Do you have an airstone in there?

About the picture that doesn't look like ich. Here is a pic showing ich.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://nippyfish.net/Ich4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nippyfish.net/ich.html&usg=__Pemzg-KGOX6KncoaSZ6kSOO3nOY=&h=720&w=576&sz=305&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=50jirOdZauCJXM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3DIch%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1

Edited by caitie

you don't need to replace the filters b/c of the ich. use salt and heat to kill them. the heat speeds up their life cycle while the salt kills them. check the link in my sig about salt if you need help but Caitie has explained it well.

your pH is too low and even though it's always been that way it needs to be fixed. pH should be raised slowly, check the link in my sig about pH help.

please make sure your water changes are dechlorinated, pH and temp matched. once you've gotten a good steady pH in your tank you'll have to work out a plan to get the new tap water at a higher pH, but that is neither here no there since we are at the beginning.

a white spot on an Oranda wen is common mine will get a white bump almost like a pimple and even get a string of white..its the wen growing so I am told. I have seen it on both of my boys it stands out cause they have black wens. It happens now and again. The red spot is something else tho.

Guest JennaGirl

a white spot on an Oranda wen is common mine will get a white bump almost like a pimple and even get a string of white..its the wen growing so I am told. I have seen it on both of my boys it stands out cause they have black wens. It happens now and again. The red spot is something else tho.

Yes Iwebe you are right the white bump disappeared! :D

My PH is still low though. Where can I buy crushed coral? Do I just put in a filter bag?

Thanks Martha for your links! Wow they all are a great read, thanks for your research! I need to give the PH link another read, a bit confusing for me, sorry :undecided:

omg I WISH that info was from me! The salt thread is from Trinket and the pH one is from Koko. pH was was really confusing 2 me at first, w/ all the kH and gH...well it can still get me baffled at times, but there are a lot of recent threads on pH on the forum now so if you do a search you'll probably come across them.

with the crushed coral you'll find it at any pet shop that sells fish supplies most likely. mine wasn't exactly crushed coral...it was coral rocks so I had to do the crushing myself. :) you put it in a filter bag, or new-never worn pantyhose into the filter after a quick rinse in either old tank water or dechlorinated tap water. add a little at a time to slowly raise your pH. do lots of testing to see where you're at, if you should add more or less, to make sure it's not jumping too high, etc.

welcome!!

In the pic it doesn't look like ich but more like a little cyst that is coming to a head. Im glad its gone but they tend to reappear..if so...it would be good to apply some hydrogen peroxide to that by cupping your fish gently and lifting him to the surface. The dorsal fin is hard like bone and should stick out of the water a little to make this easier, it would be good to engage another pair of hands for help tho!:)

Meanwhile the salt is a great salve. I would leave it at 0.1% or 0.2% not the full 0.3% unless you start seeing tiny salt like spots (ich) on the fins.

The pH is low when a tank is overstocked but it is something you need to deal with as it may plummet farther and anything under 7 breaks down a fishes immunity.