I Took A Risk!

Jeana727

Went to Petsm@rt to see if they had an Oranda. There were a few but they really didn't...you know...GRAB me. Then I found a nice little Black Moor.....This is the RISK part....I have felt I had a Black Moor CURSE!! Well, I GOT IT!! He looks pretty healthy & I am hoping THE CURSE (which a "FISH WITCH" said she REMOVED from we) is gone! IF he survives my curse I think I'll name him MAGIC!

I was also looking at a tank full of Ryukins, Orandas & Fantails. They were all of similar colors so it was hard to tell what was what. A real TINY one got my attention...white & red with black fins. The body is MAYBE 1 inch! I was watching it & the guy came over to help me. We both tried to decide what kind it was he thought Oranda but I am not certain. (He might have heard me say I wanted an Oranda)

I tried to get pics but these lil' guys are FAST!

Here's a couple of bad pics! I'll try for better later!

fishn-05.jpg

fishn-04.jpg

OH & I took well over an hour and a half to acclimate them. I poured small amounts of my tank water in here & there MANY times. To be EXTRA careful!!

Edited by Jeana727

They are both cuties!

I totally know what you mean about the curse.. and it's weird cause I had the black moor curse as well but that was before I knew how to take care of them. We just lost fish after fish and it was ALL black moors and I just could NOT seem to keep one alive! I hope your curse is broken!

Also, you might notice, I put them in my 29 gal tank (Moved Hershey over to the big tank) I just feel that this is a well established tank with excellent filtration & I just cleaned it yesterday! So it should be prefect!!!

They seem to like to swim in & out of that turtle decoration. The shell is big & hollow so they putter around in there then swim back out & then do it again!

ARE black Moors harder to keep? More fragile? I SO hope this lil' fellow makes it. I REALLY badly want a big ole fat Black Moor swimming around in my tank!!!!!!!!

Oh! And while we were trying to figure out what kind of goldie the lil' red & white was, the guy was bagging them up & marking them.....he said "I'm only going to charge you $1.99 (all the fish in the tank were marked $4.99) since he is SO little!" Shoot...I said Ok with me!!

Edited by Jeana727

ARE black Moors harder to keep? More fragile?

Jeana....not at all! Black Moors (teles) are one of the hardiest varieties out there! I speak from experience, Bojackie, my original black teles (now totally orange) has transformed into one of my largest goldfish in my tank from a year ago (she's now 5" long), and she patiently withstood any stupid mistakes that I made when starting out. I'll be getting at least two more once I get my 120 gal. tank set up and running, so they are my favorite (hence the avatar thing). I hereby remove any Black Moor curses put upon you by any evildoers. DONE...

-Dennis

Woohoo, my babies look real good.....even Magic, the Black Moor!! I may be on my way to having a big ole Moor in my tank!!!!! Yippee!!

That turtle was made for me by a former (darn it) co-worker! I told her water had to be able to flow thru & that I would like to attach a bubbler thingee to it. The mouth is where the bubbles will come out (when my new pump comes) and she made a place under for the hose! I really like it! Wish she still worked there cause she was always let me give ideas to make the ceramics fish safe! She had never made stuff for tanks until I asked her. She even researched how to perfectly seal them so there was no danger.

And THANKS DENNIS!! You are the 2nd person to REMOVE MY CURSE!! I feel well covered!! My Moor has a great chance to become a big fat goldfish!!!

Edited by Jeana727

Love the new little moor! I'm sending healthy vibes your way and hoping he does really well for you.

Just throwing this out there: Your tiny $1.99 fish could be called "Two Buck Chuck."

How are your new babies doing today? I also agree with Dennis My Black Moor Bubbles is the only survivor from my original 3 fish and has gone through a cycle twice, ich and harassment from a bully fantail :) He is my Pride and Joy :) My sunshine in the morning :) as well as all my others ;) (LOL) I here by uncurse you from the dreaded black moor curse!!! ;)

Hey Dennis.. Can you work some of your magic on me as well and remove any potential curses I may have?! I could really use it!!!!

I used to think that the moors were harder to keep also, BUT it was my horrible conditions when I was learning that was the issue, not the fish.

Since then I find that my moors and other telescopes are fairly hardy!!!! A few have the issue with finding food, and I do agree that I like to keep them with other telescopes if possible for that very reason, but overall I find them very strong, resiliant fish. I do have one tank that has 2 teles in with a fantail and an oranda and they totally hold their own! The fantail tries to be the tank bully and steal all the food, but they won't have it! :)

In my personal experience, the pearlscales are by far the hardest to keep, and seem to be the most prone to issues. I have never had luck with pearlies. Ever. My teles have fought some pretty touch battles and hung in there.. Orandas are still my fave though.

I am SO glad to hear that so far things are going well Jeana!!! YAY!

Well..........MAGIC IS STILL DOING FINE!!!!!! How could he NOT do fine with all the well wishes & anti-curse spells comin' my way!!!!

I nervously walked to the tank when I got home & there he was happy as could be!! I was SOOOOO relieved!!

I hope ya'll are right and the other (2 buck Chuck?) is an Oranda!! I love Orandas and don't have a single one!! Come on Chuck B E AN ORANDA!!!!!!!!

Well..........MAGIC IS STILL DOING FINE!!!!!! How could he NOT do fine with all the well wishes & anti-curse spells comin' my way!!!!

I nervously walked to the tank when I got home & there he was happy as could be!! I was SOOOOO relieved!!

I hope ya'll are right and the other (2 buck Chuck?) is an Oranda!! I love Orandas and don't have a single one!! Come on Chuck B E AN ORANDA!!!!!!!!

It just occured to me that you may not have two buck chuck there. It is a $1.99 type of wine from Trader Joes. Though in a lot of cities it is $2.99.

As absolutely funny as 2 buck Chuck is, it just wasn't the name for my fish! Tho' it REALLY cracked me up!

I think his name is Joey! (I don't really know why!) But I am glad to report Magic & Joey seem to be doing great!

Oh yeah, I totally agree Amy! ALWAYS the name comes to me....sometime right away...sometimes it takes a day or two!!