Balloon Mollies

I can't get over how adorable balloon mollies look, and if I bothered to start up a 10 gallon tropical, I'd really look into a trio (wouldn't mind a rotation of babies coming through because they don't last long to begin with). But I just feel terrible about their shortened lifespan--are they more fragile in general as well, when it comes to injury or disease?

Most sources I've looked at say about a year for life expectancy. Anyone kept them before? I'm just quite curious how fragile they are in general, how sensitive they are to water quality and disease, etc.

I would also love to learn more... They look real cute. Anyone have any ideas how many babies they have each time? What would you do with all the babies?

I've never had balloon mollies but I have had balloon platys - I had 3, two lasted no more than four months or so, the other managed around 6 months. They always seemed a bit pathetic and far less robust than the other regular platys in the tank. Being slower they got a little overwhelmed by faster fish at feeding time sometimes. Sometimes went through a few days of bottom sitting and being very lethargic when no other fish were doing this. They were really cute but I wouldn't have the balloon type again.

Of course the same may not apply to mollies.

I'd really look into a trio (wouldn't mind a rotation of babies coming through because they don't last long to begin with)

I started with a trio of regular female platys which were pregnant...just over a year and a bit later I have taken a total of around 50 fully grown offspring to the LFS, and I still have a few more tiny ones in my tank that I'll take as soon as they're larger. And my tank has other fry-eating fish in it as well, I dread to think how many I would've ended up with if none were eaten! They are cute babies though :)

Edited by lclayton

I really do worry about babies, especially since I am not even sure the fish stores here would accept babies from private people..... :(

I really do worry about babies, especially since I am not even sure the fish stores here would accept babies from private people..... :(

Some around here won't, but some do with prior agreement rather than having people turn up with fish and dumping them on them. Worth asking before you buy :) or you could always advertise them as free to good homes!