Hard Water?

I have been noticing hard water stains on the lid to our 20 gallon tank, which has 2 telescopes in it. One has been acting weird for the past couple of days and passed away today. Now we only have a calico telescope in there. Could the hard water be causing them to act odd and have caused the other to pass? We use the same water in our other 20 gallon and our 55 gallon and have not had any problems like this. By acting odd I mean not swimming like they use to and hanging out on the bottom of the tank all day. We dont not have a/c and it has been in the high 80's lately, I have been freezing water bottles and putting them in the tank when it gets above 80 degrees. Could I have caused all of this? Not sure what to do. We have had this tank set up for over a month now.

Thanks!!

Should we really give the 20 gallon a good cleaning, just to be safe? We did do a 50% water change and the calico is still acting odd, the same way the other one did before it passed away. I do have a 10 gallon I could put the calico in. What do you all think?

Hi c-s...have you tested your water parameters? If the mods had some readings to go by it certainly would help get a quicker response. Thanks!

-Dennis

I ran out of the all the tests except the ph one. We have to drive about 45 mins to get the other ones which we will be getting this coming weekend. The ph is reading around 7.6

I think there is something wrong with the tank or the black moor that just passed away had something(we had him/she for a week) My husband put in tank buddies to see if that would help some. The fake silk plant we have in there has some white looking fuss on it and the rocks have something on them too. I just dont understand why the other 2 tanks look really clean/healthy.

We are thinking the filter and the tank are the problem, how long would they live in a 10 gallon without a filter?

We are gonna go get one tomorrow.

We can not put them in our other 20 cause of the two commons which are aggressive. An our 55 gallon have dwarf chiclids and 2 pelco's.

hard water isn't bad for fish. my tank gets water stains all the time - you can just wipe them off with vinegar. I think you need to get the testers and check any other possible problems that could be causing the fish stress.

hard water isn't bad for fish. my tank gets water stains all the time - you can just wipe them off with vinegar. I think you need to get the testers and check any other possible problems that could be causing the fish stress.

:exactly

With tank buddies you have to make sure you have lots of airation. and water changes between doses should be done. How many doses of tank buddies have you done? Are you using Ammonia Clear Tank Buddies or Parisite Clear Tank Buddies? The white stuff could be from the tank buddies. When I used Parisite Clear Tank Buddies I noticed bottom sitting as well, it was fixed by a large water change. As for the 10 gallon, keeping him/her for the nightwould be okay, with airation you will be fine just make sure to use temperature matched de-chlorinated water. I would use all fresh water at this point.

A 10 Gallon is great for a QT tank, when you put a new filter in there then you will be starting a new cycle which can be stressful on fish and will require water changes every day until the tank is cycled. Can you describe the filter you have now and how long the media has been in there? You may be able to salvage some of the media to start the cycle on your 10 gallon with the new filter. Make sure to wash your hands between tanks, you dont want to transfer and disease to other tanks.

I would reccomend to put him/her in the 10 gallon when you get the new filter and hopefully we can salvage som filter media with some benifical bacteria in it to seed the new filter. Having the calico in a 10 gallon will make it easier to treat for disease and parisites. When you go to the pet store see if you can get some Prazi-Pro and some aquarium salt.

A thread should be started in diagnosis and discussion for your sick calico. Keep in mind water tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates will be needed. Try and pick up a mni-master or a master test kit with those tests.

After we treated the tank for it about 3 weeks ago, we did not know about changing out the filter. We cleaned the 20 gallon and went out and bought a new filter system. The calico seems to be doing fine now and happy. We believe the ammonia killed the other one. Thank you for all the help!!

buying new equipment may have helped, but I would have used that money on a test kit instead. not knowing your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels is more worrisome to me than having an older filter.

I don't want to harass you about this or anything, but the two commons need more space then 20gals. usually that is just the starting size for one.

buying new equipment may have helped, but I would have used that money on a test kit instead. not knowing your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels is more worrisome to me than having an older filter.

I don't want to harass you about this or anything, but the two commons need more space then 20gals. usually that is just the starting size for one.

Thanks! I do know that the commons need more room, they are both about 2-3 inches at the moment. Like I said before we have to drive about 45 mins to get a test kit, we are a military family and really only have time to drive that far on the weekends. Thank you for your concern

ah, yea I imagine they don't have aquarium supplies on base. :) How is the calico doing, still good?

about the water bottles, did you remove the labels? I think one member who uses this trick to cool their tank also dechlorinates the water inside of the bottle just in case. I'm sure that the lid is tight but it's just an extra precaution.