I'm Looking At Redoing All The Fishtank.

2008paul

Well, I'm planing on adding new gravel to the tank, new air filter & want to add live or fake plants.

(1) Can I put the new gravel in etc why the fish are still in there or will it scare and kill them with me keep moving my hand around?

(2) Live vs fake plants, witch are best for goldfish? if live, what ones?

(3) I'm having a lot of green stuff on the glass on the tank (I've bin told there some kind of snail you can buy to put in it to eat the green stuff, what are they called)

(4) I got air pump, do you leave it on 24/7 or only few hours a day?

Thanks.

Paul

EDIT - I'm on about algae on number 3, bin told they is a snail you can get to eat it.

Edited by 2008paul

It's not letting me edit the topic no more :S

So sorry for the DP.

I'm looking at getting the Apple Snail, but don't say if it is for cold or hot water. also, what other pets can I put in fishtank? I'm on about things that ain't fish, so like snail, crab etc.

Paul

You can leave the air on as long as the fish aren't pushed around too much.

Gravel can collect waste material and bad bacteria and make the fish sick if you don't keep it cleared out/clean. And sometimes fish get little rocks stuck in their mouth. Some people still use it because it looks so natural and some people go with a bare bottom or lightly skattered stones.

Real plants help keep the water healthy as long as dead parts are removed. BUT some goldfish tear up real plants and make a mess.

If you get fake plants they should be the soft fabric type so fins are not punctured and torn.

some questions answered:)

I don't have gravel in my tank. I just have a handful of rocks that don't fit in my fish's mouth.

As Texana said, gravel is a breeding ground for icky dirty harmful things like gasses and bad bacteria. It can present choking hazards. AND it's high maintenance! You have to vacuum it very well each week. That's why a lot of us choose to go bare bottom.

If you do want to use gravel, I highly suggest removing your fish. You don't want them to get hit with any of the rocks.

Make sure you select a size that is too big for your fish to get into their mouths.

Make sure only to use the smallest needed amount. Just barely enough to cover the bottom. I don't think you want to see it past the trim on the edge of your tank.

I know some people keep snails with their goldies, so hopefully someone will be around to advise you.

As far as other pets go, pay close attention to your stocking level. You don't want to over stock because it's dangerous for your fish and tedious for you. (Water changes water changes water changes!!)

I don't have an air feature either, though I'm looking into getting one. The are great when the temperature gets high. I may have to turn it off at night, if it's not quiet enough. My mother is terrified of the sound of running, trickling or dripping water, so bubbles bursting wouldn't be far off. (I have to keep the tank nearly full to the brim so it doesn't trickle!)

So I don't think you need to leave it on 24/7 unless you are struggling to get more aeration.

Thank you to all of you. I see what you mean about the gravel, but how would I go about removing it all as I don't have a spare tank. Could I get a bowl take water out tank and put in bowl then put fish into that why I do it?

Any kind of big stones that are recommend to use?

I don't need help with the snail thing, I google apple snail and it turns out they are what I need, so got some of ebay.

Thanks

Paul

you could remove the fish by putting it into another container w/ tank water and remove all the gravel at once but it might be better to remove only a small amount of gravel at each water change b/c the beneficial bacteria do like to stay in the gravel as well as your filter. if you are confident that you have a rock solid cycle and that removing the gravel will not effect it, definitely take the fish out while removing the gravel b/c lots of things like gases and waste will be swirling around while you're taking out the gravel and you don't want to expose the fish to it.

you could remove the fish by putting it into another container w/ tank water and remove all the gravel at once but it might be better to remove only a small amount of gravel at each water change b/c the beneficial bacteria do like to stay in the gravel as well as your filter. if you are confident that you have a rock solid cycle and that removing the gravel will not effect it, definitely take the fish out while removing the gravel b/c lots of things like gases and waste will be swirling around while you're taking out the gravel and you don't want to expose the fish to it.

Thanks. I'm going to do that tonight then as I've got 2x apple snails coming tomozs, so want to have it done before then.

Thanks.

Paul