Sign in to follow this  
Cynders

Frayed Fins, Bottom Sitting, Very Listless

Oh poor you!!!

where is your good bacteria? I think you need to make sure they get oxygen - maybe a bubble want in there - and keep 'feeding' them.

does water work when the power is out? keep up the huge water changes for the tank! maybe 2 a day! do they also have a bubble wand for when the power is out?

fins crossed everyone will be okey!

Tay your fish are surviving all this because you have kept them so healthy before. :heart If they had been the least bit weak before this, it would have affected them in a much bigger way. I just want to tell you I'm praying that your fish will all pull through this because you really are doing a great job caring for them through something that you can't even control. They are lucky to have you to take care of them. :heart :heart :heart

Thank you so much Caitie for the kind and supportive words, they mean a lot and help me keepp up my morale. I think your prayers worked as they have all made a full recovery today and Alfred's fin healed up too!

Oh poor you!!!

where is your good bacteria? I think you need to make sure they get oxygen - maybe a bubble want in there - and keep 'feeding' them.

does water work when the power is out? keep up the huge water changes for the tank! maybe 2 a day! do they also have a bubble wand for when the power is out?

fins crossed everyone will be okey!

They were in the filter full of water, the power came back on again last night and it's still been on and the water this morning was A LOT clearer. Alfred healed up nicely and the rest seem to be doing very well, swimming around and foraging and Red is playing in the bubble wall again. I think all is well, however I am still going to empty the whole thing and do an 100% water change to get all the nasty water out and use my good bbs from the filter to keep the cycle going. I hope they can behave during the water change!

Thanks everyone! :D I think they're back to their normal selves. Red is highly enjoying the new bubble curtain I got yesterday. :yeah It's an 18 inch one and he just loves swimming downwards in it, he has completely abandoned the finer bubble one, as this one has bigger and more powerful bubbles. Soon I'll do that 100% water change, but I'll have to debate whether its too stressful for them.

:yeah: I just emptied the whole tank out and put them in buckets. :o They were horrified. But it really did the trick on getting the water clear. Some cloudyness is still coming out of the filter pads in the aqueon but that's ok it's very clear now at least. :rolleyes: 20 bucks bets it'll be cloudy again tomorrow. Edited by Tay

what are the contents of the filter pads? are they the carbon/filter floss kind?

Yes they are, now I've never actually cut them out to take the carbon out. How should I go about doing that without tearing up the pad completely?

You can just cut a slit along the top edge of the carbon pad and shake all the carbon out. It's kinda tough, so you might have to cut and rip, but it usually rips in a pretty straight line.

Thanks Sakura. :D I'll go ahead and do that now, maybe the carbon has been the problem since it needs to be replaced more often?

I have heard that it needs to be replaced very often otherwise it starts to leach stuff back into the water, but I don't have much experience with that because I haven't actually used carbon in a long time.

it could very well be a problem, but if it's not now later on it would be. the manufacturer's of these don't think about cycles, they just think of money. since most of the filters like this only have room for cartridges the bb's live on there so once you toss them out goes your cycle. the manufacturers want you to replace the cartridges often, so that way they get more $ and the carbon will be replaced b4 it starts to release the contents back into the water. but then your cycle gets bumped. in your filter do you have a bag of bio media? Koko just stuffs her filters w/ a bag of bio media and filter floss I think. having the bio media insures that the majority of the bb's will live there.

I have heard that it needs to be replaced very often otherwise it starts to leach stuff back into the water, but I don't have much experience with that because I haven't actually used carbon in a long time.

Yes after coming here and getting the Aquaclear the first thing I did was throw out the carbon. But I just now realized the cartridges in the aqueon had it. :doh11: I wonder if that's what's been causing a problem lately.

it could very well be a problem, but if it's not now later on it would be. the manufacturer's of these don't think about cycles, they just think of money. since most of the filters like this only have room for cartridges the bb's live on there so once you toss them out goes your cycle. the manufacturers want you to replace the cartridges often, so that way they get more $ and the carbon will be replaced b4 it starts to release the contents back into the water. but then your cycle gets bumped. in your filter do you have a bag of bio media? Koko just stuffs her filters w/ a bag of bio media and filter floss I think. having the bio media insures that the majority of the bb's will live there.

I just recently put a bag of gravel in there with a media mesh bag. The Aquaclear I stuff with bio media and the foam pads and it works pretty well. The Aqueon is just fitted weird so you really can't get anything but the cartridges in there. but I will definitely try the floss. To be honest the cartridges are a big waste of money considering how quickly they get dirty :o It's ridiculous, and then they want to charge you $10 for a two pack of large catridges, it's crazy.