Sign in to follow this  
Cynders

Frayed Fins, Bottom Sitting, Very Listless

Thanks so much Federica. The water is fine in the tap and I'm doing an 80% Oh my gosh the water smells awful! And it looks so disgusting! I can barely breathe in the smell it's so bad! The funny thing is, the petsm@rt fish seem to be quite happy, but the Raingarden fish are just so iffy. Oh my gosh the filter media was foul too!

The frustrating thing is how I can't use the python. I still have to use the old bucket method. The python only works downstairs. UUUGH

Edited by Tay

Tay I'm so sorry about this. You really didn't need this. :( I'm sure the large water change will help them get back on track.

Hang in there. :heart

oh taylor.. i am sorry to hear you are still having troubles with this.. hang in there, you're doing really well :heart

Thank you everyone. My dad thinks I shou;d just start the whole tank over due to the filter smelling just rancid. What do you think? I think the Aqueon Media is still salvageable. But I AM NOT starting all over for another 2 months with bucket water changes, I'm at my wits end here.

How are the fish acting? I would do a water change and test the water in a few hrs to see if your cycle picks up. I think a low dose of salt might help fight any nutty opportunistic infections... If you see anything weird then we can decide on the filter media.

The fish are acting normally now after a water change. I had the tank salted to 0.2% before the power went out and I have re-salted to that level after this water change. Before the power went out I had gone back down to 0 ammonia and now it's back to .50 I'm just glad I got to save the media this time. :o What I noticed with the aqueon cartridges they were leaking out really white water when I rinsed them in a bucket of tank water, is that bacteria in there or something else? It was strange.

Maybe so. :lol I hope it's that more than anything else. You can never have too much beneficial bacteria! As long as it's not anaerobic bacteria I'm happy :rofl

Tay,did you ever get a chance to add more media? I'm thinking that will help filter the stuff out of the water-especially floss.

I'm glad you could do a much larger water change as that is what is needed after a power outage like that. also a good rinse of the filter media. so you did everything correct. I must have misread your post I thought you said you had a water restriction so that's why I mentioned a small w/c.

not sure what the white water from the cartridges was...unless, do you have crushed coral in your filter?

and just 2 piggy back on Kukana's post, did you happen to get more filter media?

Tay,did you ever get a chance to add more media? I'm thinking that will help filter the stuff out of the water-especially floss.

No, everywhere is out of power again. This is so very frustrating! I did manage to go to nnnnnn and while looking for batteries they had a nice big bubble wand on sale that could be helpful.

I'm glad you could do a much larger water change as that is what is needed after a power outage like that. also a good rinse of the filter media. so you did everything correct. I must have misread your post I thought you said you had a water restriction so that's why I mentioned a small w/c.

not sure what the white water from the cartridges was...unless, do you have crushed coral in your filter?

and just 2 piggy back on Kukana's post, did you happen to get more filter media?

No Martha, no crushed coral there. :doh11: The power cut off right again at about 12:00 PM and it's been off for the past 12 hours. These poor fish must be very strong to hold on. You should have seen them when it cut back on they were absolutely shocked. Another large water change is due. My dad thinks that I should put the fish in a rubbermaid or buckets and empty out the whole tank of water and refill it with fresh clean water completely. What do you think?

And run your same filters? Is the elec back on yet? I wish I could get a couple of my battery air pumps to you :undecided:

Oh my gosh Tay, what is that 3 power outages now within the week?! Ridiculous! You are doing a great job trying to deal with it, and the fish are hanging in there so well! Let's hope they can keep on hanging on until things get back to normal :heart

Any way you can get your hands on an electrical generator? I know they are expensive, and I honestly don't even know how they work and whatnot... but it's just an idea.

Hey Taylor,just out of curiosity,what is your Dad doing w/ his tank w/o elec?

Hey Taylor,just out of curiosity,what is your Dad doing w/ his tank w/o elec?

Absolutely nothing. :lol He's the person who will never change his water except once a year. I don't remember the last time he changed the water, his tank is also overstocked, and he has some huge angels in there. And the water has stayed crystal clear, with no problems since we've been gone and through these outages. I'm scared to change the water or check the params in that tank because I'm scared clean water will kill them :o He's left them alone for years and only feeds them, now if only a goldie tank was like that. I think I'll go test the water to see what it is lol!

And run your same filters? Is the elec back on yet? I wish I could get a couple of my battery air pumps to you :undecided:

Yes and run the same filters. Yes the power just came back on. I can see if they have some when most of the lights get back on. Over 300,000 people are without power, and that's just civilians! And another storm is coming tomorrow :doh11:

Oh my gosh Tay, what is that 3 power outages now within the week?! Ridiculous! You are doing a great job trying to deal with it, and the fish are hanging in there so well! Let's hope they can keep on hanging on until things get back to normal :heart

Any way you can get your hands on an electrical generator? I know they are expensive, and I honestly don't even know how they work and whatnot... but it's just an idea.

I don't think I would be able to, this is just a once in a million chance this is happening. I don't think this has ever happened before here. I'm just amazed at the willpower of these fish. They've already started begging for food but I'm not going to feed them it's just too risky.

Tay,maybe if you do 2 back to back w/cs.How long was the power off for? Are your filters running on the tank now? I'm just wondering how long they sat.

Power was off for about 12 hours but I filled the filters with water so most of the media would be soaked and when the power cut back on they immediately started running. I think I'lhave to do the water changes tomorrow morning because everyone is sleeping. I also can't thank you all enough for your help right now :heart

At least they've got filtration and air again :exactly LOL,interesting how all the 'non-goldie' people are asleep,huh?! :yeah: Get a good night's sleep,yourself-you've done all you can tonight,and you've done a GREAT job :heart:hug Tomorrow is another day :heart Sweet dreams :sleeping:

At least they've got filtration and air again :exactly LOL,interesting how all the 'non-goldie' people are asleep,huh?! :yeah: Get a good night's sleep,yourself-you've done all you can tonight,and you've done a GREAT job :heart:hug Tomorrow is another day :heart Sweet dreams :sleeping:

Thank you so much Kukana :heart :yeah I know! They just don't know how this all works! What do you think about the whole emptying out idea to get rid of the cloudyness? I can just let the siphon out the window and into the garden and use the hose to fill up the tank and let it heat up to about 74 degrees while keeping the media in another bucket. I fear another outage tomorrow due to more storms coming.

I'd definitely change the water, as much as you can so as to remove any baddies that may have started to congregate and just in case you lose power again. do it in the tank and filters, bad stuff will grow in sitting filters.

Thanks Martha, will do :D Would rinsing the filters in a fresh bucket of dechlorinated water be better than old tank water do you think?

I've done that before so, I don't think it's a problem b/c the water will be treated.

I've done that before so, I don't think it's a problem b/c the water will be treated.

:D Ok sounds like a plan! Hopefully this will help sort things out and let everything do its work in some nice clean water, and maybe the fish can see again :o

Tay your fish are surviving all this because you have kept them so healthy before. :heart If they had been the least bit weak before this, it would have affected them in a much bigger way. I just want to tell you I'm praying that your fish will all pull through this because you really are doing a great job caring for them through something that you can't even control. They are lucky to have you to take care of them. :heart :heart :heart