Sign in to follow this  
Cynders

Frayed Fins, Bottom Sitting, Very Listless

I would certainly think so,but I've never had it happen-I always scrub mine before a water change. Just out of curiosity,how old is sis?

I as well, I usually wipe off the brown algae with a paper towel and I've been hard at work with the green spot algae. She is 31.

I'm so sorry to hear this Tay, what a horrible thing to come home to. :k055: Just a thought, is it possible there was a black out. That could certainly explain the cycle bump your having now. It could also explain the algae dying which fouled up the water even more.

I won't offer any suggestions since you are already in great hands with Susan. I'm sure with your tlc everyone will pull through. :heart

I don't think there was that I know of. My sister keeps telling me she didn't do anything but I wonder. My dad's fish are perfectly fine in the tropical tank. :doh11: This isn't fair. Thank you for the kind words :) I really do appreciate it :heart

The water is still foul today and still horribly cloudy even after a water change. I don't know what to do. The fish are a little better today though. Red has gone back to playing in the bubble wall which is a good sign.

Edited by Tay

Ammonia has climbed back to 1 PPM I'm still at a loss to why this is happening :(

I would say,the important thing is to keep the ammonia down w/ water changes.Something else I might do is rinse your filter media in some old tank water-it seems to me that it could be expelling all the ammonia that was in there. I'm guessing a few w/cs are going to be needed here. What kind of media does your filter hold?

Wow I am so sorry! Your cycle was so good!

Are you sure about the blackout? Where do you live? My mom in Miami had a blackout the other day that lasted like 6hrs!!!

I agree, just keep up the water changes - the cloudy water could be the bacteria out of whack!

Kukana, the Aqueon 55 just holds 2 filter cartriges but puts out a lout of outflow. The Aqueon 70 I put in two foam pads and one big pack of biostars and the cycle has been strong. The bacteria are still there as they've been processing the ammonia into nitrite. and after changing the water again by 50% the ammonia is back down to .5 PPM and the nitrite is 0. I'll definitely rinse the media in some tank water at the next water change. I can't thank you enough for your help.

Thanks Federica. I live in Maryland there was a thunderstorm the day we left but it lasted all but 20 minutes. I'll ask her if there was a blackout though.

The bacteria is my second thought. With that much cloudyness they'r probably trying to find a place to settle.I might put in some mesh bags of gravel into the Aqueon filter and I'll see if I can get some cycle to pour into the filters to help it along. This is defnitely very strange. :(

The salt really did seem to help Romano as his black has come back. He was horribly pale yesterday and they were all so listless. I was shocked to see how brown he was. It made me so sad.

You are so welcome,Tay ;) You are doing a great job w/ them :heart Just something to think about; when I stuff media into the back of my HOBs,I throw some floss in there also,it just seems to me that it buffs the water a little differently :) I am so glad to hear that colors have returned and Romano is playing in the bubbles :hug:goodjob

Thank you :hug I think the Aqueon definitely has a lot of room for more media and I can probably add some floss. The filter cartridges for it are super thin. I don't understand why :lol

I think the idea you gave me for salt really helped. I just raised it to .2% for Alfred's fins and they're very active now, they can probably breathe better now too. Sadly, the brown algae is returning :mad:

Ammonia is still climbing even after large water changes, the water is still terribly cloudy, I just wish I could know whats' wrong with the tank. :(

What are the rest of the params,Tay? Also,did you cut back on feeding them? How much water have you changed out today,and what is the ammo?

Just a thought here Tay, but I've been doing a bit of research and here is what I've found:

In certain cases, such as when the filtration system has been turned off, large amounts of ammonia will be produced in the tank water. When this happens, bacteria can adapt to actually consume the ammonia, this is when you may get a cloudy tank as well. If your water does suddenly turn cloudy, I would advise you to cease feeding straight away, or if you are reluctant to do that, feed them very sparingly. Doing this would reduce the amount of ammonia the fish produces. Your fish will be okay without food for a while. You can then carry out regular water tests as well as regular water changes until things settle down again.

I don't know if this helps or not, but maybe fasting them for a day or two will help control the ammonia. Also I read that when you have cloudy water like this you need a lot of aeration because the bacteria that causes the cloudy water consumes a lot of oxygen.

I hope everything will soon get back to normal for you and your fishies. :heart

Edit: Takes me too long to post. :rolleyes: Susan has already mentioned this.

Edited by caitie

What are the rest of the params,Tay? Also,did you cut back on feeding them? How much water have you changed out today,and what is the ammo?

Yup they only got 1 or 2 pellets each today and I changed 50% of the water out this morning. I just checked the params just now and they are

Ammonia: 0.50 PPM

Nitrite: 0 PPM

Nitrate: 5.0 PPM

It looks like it's gone down since this morning then which is good.

Did you get a chance to stuff more media into the filter?

Caitie that was very good information there, Kukana's as well. :D

I turned up the bubblers to full power as soon as I read this and I took out a bit of water to create a bigger splash. I'll try and urge my sister to let me know if there was a power outage of some sort, as that could possibly explain everything and maybe the algae got starved out for oxygen.

@ Kukana I didn't get a chance to go to the store today, but I took a media bag and put some gravel that I took out last month in it after rinsing it and put it in the aqueon. The Aquaclear is really full of media. I am going tomorrow though.

Edited by Tay

Tay so sorry to hear all this. A nasty accident has happened and there are no witnesses it would seem :undecided:

Even if you see nitrates you can still be having a cycle crash! You are going to get ammonia now for some time and need to monitor it. Yes these symptoms allign with ammonia poisoning.

The cloudiness of the water reminds me of algaecrash. This is when all agae suddenly dies and no longer provides the tank with oxygen it had accomodated itself to (the bbs). Water environment is such a very delicate balance and every small mineral and ion in the tank plays a role in holding the cycle steady.

You need to add salt if you have ich. Ich appears under stress/temp drop/cycle crash- very common. Its stress induced.

So stick with the ammonia checking and salting (see link in my sig) and lets get this tank healthy again as it was prior to your trip. The fish will recover. You can do it!!!! :)

Thank you so much for the info Imo. However I have bad news. Yesterday there was a gigantic thunderstorm over here in Maryland and the power was out all day. The fish are barely hanging on, but I did manage to get the filter media in a bucket of old tank water. They're barely hanging on, we're also on a water restriction because the storm was so bad and the water plant has to get back into gear. This was a terrible storm, at least 2 people died and a tree fell in the backyard :doh11: This is horrible. I just hope the fish can hang on for me :cry1

oh no! what part of Maryland are you in??

Metropolitan D.C Area, but out in the suburbs. :( This was an awful storm. The winds were about 80 mph

oh ok, yea I'm right near the border of southern Maryland and we didn't have any storms. do you have power now? can you do maybe a small water change for them and get their filter and bubbler on?

Yes the power came back on in the early morning I think. I'm going to do that right now. Should I do a large one or a small one, I don't want to stress them too much.

Oh no! So maybe that is what happened the first time too... Maybe it wasn't your sis' s fault :(

Maybe also test the water once they restart it -incase some junk got in there.

Maybe try and agitate the water by putting it in a pitcher and just reporing it in the tank- so you get some agitation....

I hope the power is back tho!!!! My mom stayed like 8 hrs without power the other day... But she is in Miami-hurricane season... Thankfully she has a backup generator... Even tho she doesn't have fish..

Oh thank god the power is back. Test the water of the tap. If all is good do a large w/c... How are they???