[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 4.0 PPM

[*]Nitrite Level? 2.0 PPM

[*]Nitrate level? 5.0 PPM

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api Test drops

[*]Water temperature? 74 degrees farenheit

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Since April 12th and was cycled before I left on vacation

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aqueon 55 gallon and an Aquaclear 70

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? I change once a week 70% on Saturdays

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5. 1 large Ryukin, 1 medium oranda, 1 small Ryukin, 1 Medium ryukin, 1 baby ranchu

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra Aqua Aquasafe.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed them progold once daily.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Terribly frayed Fins and their fins were clamped :(

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Staying at the bottom. They did greet me though.

I've been gone for only three days from a trip to London, and the fish are in pretty bad condition. :( I came home and the water was incredibly cloudy, the water was so foul I could smell it from outside my room. Alfred's tail is terribly ragged and torn, and the rest are bottom sitting. Somehow I think my cycle reset. I told my sister not to feed them and the food was hidden so I don't know what happened. :( I fed them peas before leaving and fasted them but within 3 days the water is so foul? Red is also shedding his slime coat. The ammonia is a whopping 4 and the nitrite is 2. I have no idea how this happened in a span of 3 days. Even all of the algae died including the green spot algae and the brown algae. The day before I left params were perfect and the water was crystal clear. :( How could my cycle have reset so quickly.

Should I add aquarium salt to treat their bloody and torn fins. I'm amazed they're still alive and eating. I feel horrible for leaving them.

Edit: Nitrate is 5.0 PPM

Edited by Tay

Did you do a BIG w/c just now?

In the process of doing it as we speak. How much should I do? about 80% or more?

I would do like 60%,test,then another 40%. I have had to do 100% w/c on tanks before doing this too.

Tay,I just looked in "Fancy Goldfish" book-all the symptoms you list can come from ammonia poisoning-clamped fins,lethargy,and excess mucus production. Rick says to do a 70% w/c-then BE SURE you have a functioning biological filter. Do you have another filter? I would still do 70%,then test,30%. When I came to kooks I was way overstocked,and they told me to do back to back 50% w/cs

I would do like 60%,test,then another 40%. I have had to do 100% w/c on tanks before doing this too.

Thanks Kukana. I am just so upset. It looks like Romano has ick and all of them are shedding their slime coats. There are also these white dots on the heater where it's been dry as well as the Aqueon filter. What could this be? What should I raise the temperature to after the water changes and how much salt should I add?

Make SURE you temp and Ph match the w/cs!!!

Make SURE you temp and Ph match the w/cs!!!

I will definitely do that. I'll double check the Ph on both the tap and tank just to be safe.

You're doing great,Tay :heart This must be very upsetting :krazy: I'm still looking in book-for Nitrite poisoning-you do the same w/c,reduce feeding,and add .03% salt. BUT I don't know about that level of ammo and salt.Since you have to take the salt up .01%-3x-at 12 hr intervals-Inshould think .01% for now would be fine. He says it slows down nitrobacteria bacteria,BUT it also blocks the passive absorption of nitrite across the gill membranes............You know .01% is = 1tsp per gallon? Now,again in 12 hrs,then again after another 12 hrs......

Tay,I have an appointment I need to get to.Do your w/cs,be sure Temp and Ph match. Check params again,then I would do the .01% salt and see how they do. The fresh water should do wonders. Hopefully,others will be by and drop in.I will be back in 2 hrs. or so. ;)

Tay,I have an appointment I need to get to.Do your w/cs,be sure Temp and Ph match. Check params again,then I would do the .01% salt and see how they do. The fresh water should do wonders. Hopefully,others will be by and drop in.I will be back in 2 hrs. or so. ;)

Thank you so so much for your help. I really do appreciate it :heart I hope you appointment goes well. How much salt per gallon do I add to get it to .01%?

1 teaspoon per gallon.

What a terrible situation for you and your fishies Tay :( I'm sure in your care they will come around, if I were you I'd be kind of upset with my sister... The water really should not have gotten so bad in just three days. :undecided:

1 teaspoon per gallon.

What a terrible situation for you and your fishies Tay :( I'm sure in your care they will come around, if I were you I'd be kind of upset with my sister... The water really should not have gotten so bad in just three days. :undecided:

Thank you Sakura. I am very very upset. I want to know what happened that it killed off both BROWN and GREEN SPOT ALGAE. Andh ow the ammonia got so crazy like that in a perfectly cycled tank. I'll post the params in a second after this 60% water change.

Ok after the 60% water change:

Ammonia: 1 PPM

Nitrite: 0 PPM

Nitrate: 5 PPM

After another 40% water change:

Ammonia: 0.50%

Nitrite: 0 PPM

Nitrate 5 PPM

So that's a total of 100% Should I add some Amquel to bind that last bit of ammonia? They're acting more lively after the water change. should I raise the temperature to 78 degress farenheit before I add the salt?

Edited by Tay

Tay, I'll let Susan stay with you on the salt and temperatures. I just want to mention that adding the required dosage of Amquel would help bind the ammonia temporarily. However, you'll need to check your params daily and change water to keep the ammonia levels safe until the tank cycles again. Good luck...Susan should be back shortly!

-Dennis

Thank you very much. I just wonder what could have caused that to happen. And then to top it all off my sister says "I noticed the water was cloudy but I didn't do anything" :doh11:

Ironically, Ludwig seems inaffected and he's the one with the most handicaps! He ate like a vacuum cleaner and his fins are perfect.

Edited by Tay

you said white spots on the dry spot of the heater...did a lot of water evaporate from the tank? Was the water level under or at the water line for the heater? I may be too late in asking, but just want to make sure that the heater is still working and didn't perhaps burn out if the water level got too low?

I can't believe this has happened, it seems so unusual. There MUST be something your sis isn't telling you. :undecided:

It looks like there was some evaporation but not too below the heater as it's still working well. It does look like evaporation may be the cause because they're on dry spots on the filter too. I will double check the heater though just to be on the safe side.

I agree, the fact that she said "I saw it get cloudy but I didn't do anything else" worries me. My dad thinks she fed them even though I hid the food.

Even all of the brown algae died and it's all gone, not a trace left. What could have caused that?

very, very puzzling.. but good luck taylor.. i hope it all goes well..

I see no more slime coating coming off but this still puzzles me. They did eat which pleases me, and Alfred is too. There was no poop on the bottom either. Could the BBs have starved?

Hi Tay,it looks like you had some good company :grouphug How are they doing now? I would def cut back on the feeding until the ammo gets down to 0,that will help. Did you add the Amquel? I don't know if that high of ammo will kill off algae or not-but I'm curious :hmm Did you have any meds laying around that sis might have gotten into? Algae Fix,or anything? Something is def amiss here :unsure: Thank goodness you got home when you did :heart

I see no more slime coating coming off but this still puzzles me. They did eat which pleases me, and Alfred is too. There was no poop on the bottom either. Could the BBs have starved?

I def don't think they starved! Maybe more over ate :oops: You might want to check the params 1 more time before you go to bed to try and get an idea of where your cycle is.

Tay,I just looked in "Fancy Goldfish" book-all the symptoms you list can come from ammonia poisoning-clamped fins,lethargy,and excess mucus production. Rick says to do a 70% w/c-then BE SURE you have a functioning biological filter. Do you have another filter? I would still do 70%,then test,30%. When I came to kooks I was way overstocked,and they told me to do back to back 50% w/cs

Oh Kukana I just saw that post. That's exactly what it sounds like. The two filters have been functioning for at least 2 months now cycling strong. The Aquaclear has tons of biomedia in it and I am so confused has to how I got 4 ammonia in 3 days with having no issues for 2 months doing once a week water changes. :undecided: I'm so confused.

I def don't think they starved! Maybe more over ate :oops: You might want to check the params 1 more time before you go to bed to try and get an idea of where your cycle is.

I will. It seems like the cycle is still there since she did nothing to the tank, and nitrates are still showing up, that's super super strange as the day before I left I checked the water the ammonia was 0 Nitrite was 0 and the nitrates were 15 or so.

Did you see post #20 at the bottom of page 1? I'm quite sure this did not 'just happen' :undecided:

Did you see post #20 at the bottom of page 1? I'm quite sure this did not 'just happen' :undecided:

Oh I just saw that. Ironically there is some algae fix down there and water clarifier. That algae fix I just keep down there for my dad's tank if he ever needs it. (You should see underneath his tank it's a mess!) I've heard that it can kill off things and really mess up the water when the algae dies. This makes sense now. Could the water being so cloudy be from dead algae?