Yoshi Fin Problem

Sakura

Yoshi had a weird white/clear bump on his caudal when he arrived, and I was a little worried but I figured it would go away. It still hasn't changed at all. Suki arrived with a frayed chunk missing from her caudal fin. Come to think of it, I did not see the missing chunk in the shipping bag, so either she ate it or it got eaten away by something else...

Yesterday I noticed the red veins in Yoshi's fins seemed worse and looked pretty angry, and decided to keep an eye on it. They were also surface gulping and yawning a bit yesterday so I started them on Prazi. Well today I just noticed a clear/white edging on all of Yoshi's fins. It basically looks like his fins are more thin than they should be in a uniform edge along each fin. There is also a bit of fraying in his fins, and he is less active today than he was yesterday. He is not clamping fins, but he is just hanging in one spot of the tank sort of near the surface. Oh and his breeding stars which were extremely prominent before, have almost completely disappeared. Suki is swimming around like normal right now without gulping or gasping, but her tail looks a little more frayed than it did before. She has no red at all in her fins.

Here is my thought:

Suki picked up some kind of fin rot while in transit, and when I placed them into the same QT tank together, it was transferred to Yoshi. Is this possible/likely? I'm going out of town tonight, so I'm a little freaked out. I don't know if this will require salt or antibiotics, but I hope not antibiotics. :( I have already left Ken a message on his phone and emailed him. I plan on doing a 50% water change in a few hours, the water is sitting out right now to pH match.

ammonia: 0.05

nitrite: 0

nitrate: between 0 and 5

pH: 8.3

They are in a cycled 55 gallon tank with 600 gph filtration and a bubble wand. No gravel and no decor. There is a small cycle bump going on from adding these fish a few days ago. The bacteria is still trying to adjust to how much ammonia is being put out.

text.jpg

butterflytext.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know what you mean! That's exactly what was worrying me about Blondie the other day! It seems like their fins are getting thinner and are about to tear right? I have been away for 2 days-will check on her once I am home-she is in 0.3percent salt, maybe it fixed them. I shall let you know.

You are doing the QT parts separate? Like first prazi-then salt? I also wondered if for Blondie it could have been/be because of flukes-i think flukes cause torn fins? Not too sure... maybe once Yoshi is fluke clear it will heal?

I hope you don't need antibiotics. Hopefully salt will do, if it doesn't fix itself...

I actually was going to play it by ear whether to salt or not. Hadn't decided yet. But yes, either way I wanted to do salt and Prazi separate if I could. I never salted my last four fish from Ken and they have been totally fine, but I think I'd be more likely to salt these guys since they will be added to an existing tank. The last four fish were the only ones I had, so there was no risk of them infecting any existing fish. If that makes sense. Yes, do let me know about Blondie. Hopefully she is just fine.

His fins are only thin along the edges though, you can see it a little bit in the photos. And they are also frayed at the edges. He was not like this at all when he first arrived. *worry worry*

Hopefully it will work it self out with out antibiotics :) Maybe just showing signs from the shipping experience a little delayed? let's hope that's all it is :) keep us Posted... fins and fingers crossed here for you all :)

Yea also Blondie is just on the sides. Does he also have it on the front fins? Blondie had one with it a bit-it is harder to see on her as she is tiny. Your pics are real good!

Thanks, it's a difficult thing to catch in a photo! But he's holding still right now because he doesn't feel good :( It is affecting all his fins in the same way.

Sakura,do you have some updated photos? :oops: Sorry,just saw your pics.

I am wondering if the redness in the tail might be from ammonia? I've had fish whose tail gets red streaking w/ just the slightest bit :exactly

Maybe you should start a 0.1 salt already now and leave it at that while you are gone? Also Blondie was quite still. I am looking forward to finally knowing what it is... If I see it has gone I will tell you-so you know salt+prazi work (just not which exactly)

Shipping stress causes all kinds of problems. Symptoms in fish show up later, maybe 3-5 days. In transit fish lose immunity and that shows in the fins first. Frayed fins or red streaks. Think of it like when we get very tired and some of us get break out skin or greasy hair or something.

Yes it can also indicate flukes but you are treating for that.

0.1 % salt definitely and I would just do one round of prazi and then give them a break from that (just the salt) for a few days. Just clean cycled water.

The QT is cycled right? because QT has to be completely stress free in order for the fish to strengthen up after being moved. Any break from routine stresses fish. You have to get rid of the stress with these destressors:

Cycled tank (#1)

Dark side/corner/escape place to/in tank

splash on surface

Good quality feeding with variety..

No handling.

:heart

Thank you so much for checking in Imo! I didn't realize that shipping stress can show up a few days after the ordeal.

Yes the tank is cycled, but it's having a slight bump right now from adding them. The ammonia has only climbed to 0.05ppm so far, and that's after a few days of no water changing. So I don't think it's too bad. I also picked up a second bottle of Tetra safestart that I'm going to pour on the filter media before I leave tonight.

Okay, I will add salt to .1% before I leave. So .1% salt and Prazi will be in there while I'm away this weekend. Then I'll give them a break from the Prazi like you said. Hopefully all is well when I return on Sunday, I'll probably be anxious about them all weekend long :heart Wish I had a webcam to set up so I can check on them. hehe

Have a safe trip Sakura. I am sure they will be fine.

Blondie still has the white parts, but they are already looking less frayed and delicate. So I am sure Yoshi will do a fast recovery! :exactly

I missed out on the arrival of your new fish from my trip, but boy is this one beautiful!Congrats.gif

It sounds like this is a result of shipping stress and the issues should settle down once they get comfortable in their new home.

Even a couple of parasites that happen to have found their way onto a fish in transit can breed like crazy when a fish is stressed. I suggest you slowly, very slowly raise the salt to 0.3% over a few days. This will take care of virtually ALL threatening parasites minus flukes which you will need to use prazi for. You can stagger. I always do them separately on new fish. You need to watch your bbs dont take a dive during this time and monitor ammonia carefully. No ammochips with salt.

If you start to see red spots you may need medicated food but for now I would trust the salt.

Hang tight :). It is not so unusual for fish to have frayed fins and bottom sit for several days after shipment.

Yes I'm back! :) Yoshi looks no better, no worse. He mostly hovers near the surface looking a little sad and his fins look the same. Suki's fins look worse though, they are much more tattered on the edges than before. She's also a lot more lethargic than she was before, but not bottom sitting at least. I'll be increasing the salt very very slowly over the next couple of days, and watching the water parameters closely. Hopefully they will start to feel better soon :heart Thank you for asking!

Hoping he recovers soon :)

That white spot looks like something Rusty has on her tail, except hers is brown - the same colour as her, it's like a goldfish mole/wart I think...it seems to be completely benign and she's had it since I've had her, it's kinda grown with her tail but never done anything. Unfortunately I can't find any pictures but I can try and take one if you want. Basically, the spot thing is not necessarily related to the fin damage and if all the damage heals up you don't necessarily have to do anything about the white bit. It might be a different situation but it is possible it's completely benign :) Did he have it in the auction pics?

Thank you, thank you :)

Sarah, that is really interesting about Rusty... When I noticed the spot on Yoshi I looked back at his auction pics, and the spot was definitely not there then. So I think it is something that happened during shipping.

has there been any improvement?

Blondie's tail is almost all healed, one of her fins is still a bit white... have had her for 3 weeks now (salt + prazi) - so I am thinking it is just a matter of time+destress. Blondie was actually shipped thursday to petstore and I got her saturday - so she had double 'baggy stress'... :rolleyes:

I know they do but kind of wonder why when you get a fish shipped or if you rescue a fish from nasty conditions they always seem to look worse a few days in good conditions?! I know ammonia burns wont show up right away so the red streaks were probably from the ammonia in the bag? The white bump looks similiar to the one my big oranda developed when I was pulling her out to Qtip peroxide on the spot on her wen I think her tail got bent a tiny bit from holding in the net and that was like a little break in the tail that then got white and even a little fluffy white while its healing. I will try an post a pic of her spot later...I have had her a 3 months I realized an she is still recovering =/

Update...

Suki is looking absolutely terrible. Been bottom sitting all day and extremely lethargic. Fins still jagged. Yoshi doesn't look any better, but not worse either. But Suki is definitely getting worse. Even a 50% water change did nothing to perk her up. She looked strange to me from the side so I carefully lifted her to the surface so that I could view her scales from above. It seems that the scales on one side of her body have begun to lift. There is also a horrendous and strong "fishy" smell coming from the tank that I have come to associate with bad bacteria.

Salt is at .15% (in between .1 and .2). I was planning to go up to .2 tomorrow. I have already done a 50% water change today. I'm going to see if she will eat a tiny piece of gel food because I haven't fed her in a few days (vacation).

Still no email or phone response from Ken. Now that her scales are lifting (dropsy) I'm not sure if I should continue with salt or not.

OH NO :( I thought for sure they should be feeling better by now,not worse :( They (the two new one's)are in the old 55 gal tank right?Not in the 75gal with the others yet? I think for dropsy it's Epsom salt right?how's the temp in the tank with all the heat we have been having has it raised to much maybe???I know mine has gone up lately :( I will keep my Finns crossed for you all, sending good healing vibes your way...you do not deserve or need this :(

Do you have any MetroMeds or antibiotic food?

Can we know your exact water params as of now.

I would do 50% water changes back to back, there should be no smell...until there is no smell you need to change water out.

I am soooooo sorry - is she bloated, did she feel mushy in the abdomen? Have you seen any poop?

Did she eat the gelfood? Plse answer all these hun!