pop eye

Hi my name is Ryan and I'm new here. I'm not really a big fish guy, but I need some help.

We have a fan tail (I think) named Homer and I bought him for my son on easter 2000 Yes it's over ten years old and we've become very attached to him or her?

He recently since a month now, developed a nasty eye ball and seems to be getting redder and bigger. I did some googling and discovered pop eye, which led me here.

I don't know if we should treat him or let nature take it's course. He seems to be acting normal... Swimming nicely,eating, his finish looks good, no streaking, or ulcers ect. and he responds to me when I look in the tank.

It's pretty bad because my wife and kids feel really sad, and can't look at it, cause it creeps them out.

Is he suffering??? If so I would like to put him down.

I have pics but there really creepy and I,d like a response before posting some, because I don't know if it will offend folks.

thanks for reading

Ry

Welcome to Koko's!

There is one thing I'm certain of. It's that pictures are NEVER a bad thing! We love to look at cute fish, and often need to see photos of sick fish to help you diagnose. You can use photobucket to host them and then attach them to your posts using the little picture icon, between the link icon and the envelope icon.

I've never had to deal with popeye, but I'm pretty sure it's a treatable illness. Your fish is still eating, and that is a VERY good thing! Many people here are of the opinion that if a fish is still eating, euthanasia is not yet needed.

In addition to photos, answering these questions can help us help you:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Once you have photos and the questionnaire filled out, we can help you get your fish on the mend!

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

Welcome to kokos!

As said previously, all the info would really help!

In the meantime, if you have no testers etc-a large (80percent) water change + cleaning of tank will probably help. Most problems can be avoided + fixed with nice clean water.

A pic would be great! Pop eye usually looks like a fluid filled sack under the eyes-like if the fish had bags. I have not had cases where it was red-so a pic will help. Do to his age it could also be some abnormal growth.

Don't worry, I am sure we can do the best we can to fix him up!

Oh and eating is a GREAT sign-eating and acting normal means he wants to live.

Keep us posted!

Pop eye usually looks like a fluid filled sack under the eyes-like if the fish had bags. I have not had cases where it was red-so a pic will help. Do to his age it could also be some abnormal growth.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, that is not pop eye. pop eye is when the eye is literally being pushed out of the head. here is a picture popeye1_small.jpg

My book ( Fancy Goldfish, Johnson and Hess)says pop eye is a grave bacterial or tuberculosis infection. Raising salt to 3% might relieve pressure.

They suggest that you maintain perfect water quality with no nitrates.

According to the book treating the water with an anti bacterial agent will ruin your cycle and most water treatments doen't reach the area behind the eye.

Do you have any aquarium salt?

Martha this books mentions fleshy bags of water in later stages.

Edited by Texana

If it is indeed popeye-it could actually be caused by a problem in the water either to do with the quality of the nitrogen cycle - too high nitrites etc. Or most of the time just from bad bacteria in the gravel/ornaments etc. I had a pearscale that had it when I had a hollow ornament in my tank-it was indeed looking like a little bubble under the eyes. It was diagnosed from the mods on this forum as well.

The good thing-is that it can most of the time be cured with good water and sometimes salt.

I would not do anything except a water change and to post the picture. Therefore a mod can lead you in the best direction!

Best of luck

It was diagnosed from the mods on this forum as well.

really? this thread here? http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/81351-help-sick-goldfish/ b/c I didn't see any confirmation, all I saw were other members, not mod's, asking for a picture.

not trying to be a jerk about it, but I feel like what you said could have been pm'd to me considering I took the time out to pm you and apologize after being informed by Texana that the fluid sacs are a later stage of pop eye.

and haveaNOSday I'm sorry for doing this on your thread. once you fill out the questionaire that Iheartfishes has posted things will focus back onto you.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?