Setting Up A Sorority!

Pearlscaleperfect

I've got the filter all set and cycled and tomorrow I'm going out to purchase the girlies and plants as this will also bemy first planted tank! I've been doing alot of research and talking to the super expierienced people at my LFS who have a plant wall that is massive and amazing so one of the family members (the brother of the owner I believe)is going to be helping me out with anything I need. Everyone there is really knowledgeable and I really do trust them, unfortanely they don't have a large selection (or any selection really) of female betta, they're all male. So I'll be going to Petsco to buy the girlies but it's okay since no one ever goes for them and I always feel bad. But eee I'm excited! I'll be stocking the 10 gal with 6-7 girls and planting it heavily for my dorm. I'm setting up ahead of time so it'll be less of a headache than when I get up there. I'll post pitures tomorrow once everything's set up!

Wow, I can't wait to see pics. :) I've always wanted a sorority but in my case it didn't work. My tank was too small I tried three girls in a five gallon. It could have worked but all three are super aggressive so I ended up with three betta bowls instead. :rofl

I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out for you. Maybe when I can sneak in a bigger tank I could try again. ;)

From reading on here, I know Hidr's got a sorority tank, I wouldn't go with more than 5 in a 10 gallon. What are you planting it with? Substrated tanks are a pain to move, personally I would wait until you've moved in and then set it up with the plants etc. I have a hard enough time moving my betta tanks and they just have java ferns and glass pebbles in them.

Make sure you get some pics up when you're sorted ;)

From reading on here, I know Hidr's got a sorority tank, I wouldn't go with more than 5 in a 10 gallon. What are you planting it with? Substrated tanks are a pain to move, personally I would wait until you've moved in and then set it up with the plants etc. I have a hard enough time moving my betta tanks and they just have java ferns and glass pebbles in them.

Make sure you get some pics up when you're sorted ;)

I did the math and if I kept 6 they all have just under 2 gallons of space and I personally would keep a group of less than six just for group stability reasons. I'm not sure exactly what I plan to put in it but probably java ferns, java moss, a sword or two. I'm not really worried about moving it because worst comes to wrost I'll just dismantle the tank, leave the substrate in and empty it, bag the plants, cup the fish, drive to college and reset it up. It only a two hour drive so I nothing will be for extended periods of time.

So the tank's set up, plants are in, I have three amazon swords, a rock with java fern, a coconut cave with java fern and a anubias on top, and a ton of java fern shoots which I was given for free since some may die but most showed good signs of sprouting. I'm using ecocomplete planted tank substrate and I have the appropiate lighting atm. I have a heater for the tank, but it's warm in the fish room during summer so all my heaters are turned off anyway; I'll put the heater in once things cool down a bit. I have seven girls in the tank along with a zebra nerite which hitchhiked on the underside of the coconut hut with two other zebras and a plain nerite. :krazy: I also bought an extra girl as an exchange in case one of them was too violent but she proved to be too violent herself and was instigating so I've seperated her. I'm not sure if I'm going to give her back to the store or just keep her seperate in her own tank. I also dunno what to do with these extra nerites, but I'm thinking of killing them if the store wont take em back since I dont have any fish that will eat them. But since I took Gale out (the overly aggressive older female) all nipping has stopped and it's generally calm. I gave them all a good feed with bloodworms but accidently dropped the cup I was keeping them in into the tank so they won't be getting fed tomorrow to compensate for all the bloodworms they managed to scoop up :doh11: So I'll take pictures either tonight or tomorrow morning :)

How exciting!! I have really wanted to do a sorority tank for awhile now but always chicken out. I don't want to take the chance of the girls ripping up each others perfect fins and all. But sounds like it just might work ok for you and it's good to know that it can. Looking forward to the pics! :exactly

Yey pictures!

The tank:

betta024.jpg

betta028.jpg

betta029.jpg

The fish:

Yelena:

betta084.jpg

betta039.jpg

Kiki:

dawwfeesh009.jpg

Ambrosia:

betta2009.jpg

betta2007.jpg

betta2001.jpg

dawwfeesh020.jpg

Perl:

betta074.jpg

betta059.jpg

betta042.jpg

Irys:

betta077.jpg

betta049.jpg

Opal:

betta044.jpg

dawwfeesh015.jpg

Roze:

betta068.jpg

betta067.jpg

betta040.jpg

Gale:(The aggressive female)

betta2014.jpg

Valek:(the nerite snail) I put his three buddies in too but they quickly ran for cover.

dawwfeesh007.jpg

Group shot: (they're not all there but whatverr)

betta061.jpg

Oh very nice, I love the look of your tank. Your girls look great but I can see they had a feast of blood worms. What big bellies! :D I really hope this works and that you'll keep us posted because if it works out for you I might just give it another try. Betta girls are so interesting to watch. :)

Your tank is Sooo Beautiful :) I just love it!!! really I do :) :) I wish you the best of luck with all your pretty girlie's :) I really like Irys she is too pretty :)best of luck and I hope you have a back up plan just in case ;)

Oh, How lovely! So you really do have 6-7 girls in the tank? I've been a skeptic that that high of a number could coexist in a 10 gallon, but you could change my mind, please keep us updated on the girls, they're such pieces of eye candy. Love the nerite snail, always wanted to try one of those in a tank, they are so unique looking. I totally approve of Valek's name. You've seen J.C. Vampires before?

Oh, How lovely! So you really do have 6-7 girls in the tank? I've been a skeptic that that high of a number could coexist in a 10 gallon, but you could change my mind, please keep us updated on the girls, they're such pieces of eye candy. Love the nerite snail, always wanted to try one of those in a tank, they are so unique looking. I totally approve of Valek's name. You've seen J.C. Vampires before?

Yes I currently have seven and once I establish that the marks on gale's side are scars and not an illness or tumour (shes in QT atm) then I'll have 8. With female bettas what I've already picked up is after the initial struggle for power and rank there isn't much actual fighting or scuffles. All my girls fins are almost healed or I can already see the new growth on some of the girls that actually had a chunk taken out of their fin, Ambrosia is the only one without a fully healed tail now. For male bettas it's all about territory, where as in females it is radically different kind of agression. They react more towards invasions of their personal space.For instance if one girl is very interested in a certain rock and is picking/ playing with it and another girl comes over to investigate the same rock, the one who got there first will give the other girl a flare unless she is higher ranking, then the lower ranking girl will leave or it will be see as a challenge to the higher ranking fish. I was always told the more females in a tank the more the agression can be spread out so no certain fish is receiving more agression than another and it makes for a fairly peaceful tank so far. There are certain fish that are moderators, which I assume are high ranking although I havent been able to tell the exact tank rank yet, but on an individual confrontation basis it's easy to tell who ranks higher than whom. The moderator fish will step in between two lower ranking females if things get too heated(excessive flaring or nipping)and it normally breaks it up. I'm looking to get a few more plants if the swords and java dont fill it in some because on the lowest level of the tank there aren't enough plants to break the line of site as much as I want. this is all purely observation, but I guess since I've been keeping betta for five or six years now in larger numbers (the most males I had at one point was 14) I have a pretty good grasp on their behavior, and it's really neat to see how drastic they are from the males behavior.

I'll def keep you guys updated on the tank dynamics and such though.

• 4 weeks later...

So everything's going well! Other than the unexpected death of Roze everyhting's been peaceful and the girls are very social and love people!

afew002.jpg

the plants are beginning to fill in! Note all six girls at the top waiting for food.

20100817-154810.jpg

Four out of my six greeting me, the other two were just out of the frame :[ I wanted a group shot too.

It looks great! I like Irys the most though. The thought of starting my own sorority has crossed my mind, but I'm too scared to try. Good job on yours, however!

:goodjob The tank and the girls both look great. I think the fact that you have so many plants is a big part of the success you are having. When I tried to do a sorority I didn't have enough plants.

Anyways I'm so glad yours is working out. I hope you'll post more pics. :)