My Prazipro Has Arrived!

I don't know what took my stuff so long, but it's here!

I decided to start a new thread to stay organized, but the old one is hereif you want to read it.

T.F. had started flashing violently at the time of that posting. That was accompanied by bottom sitting and lethargy.

Recently he has been flashing less, and the bottom sitting has been replaced with hovering behind the towel I have covering half of the tank.

Appetite is still very good. Slime coat is in good condition, and there is no surface breathing.

However, I may have caught him yawning yesterday.

Here's the important stuff:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? TAP: 0 TANK: 0

[*]Nitrite Level? TAP: 0 TANK: Just a bit more than 0; still very blue, not .25

[*]Nitrate level? TAP: 5.0 TANK: 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? TANK: 7.4 - 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? TAP: 7.4 - 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Fresh Water Master Test Kit

[*]Water temperature? Hovers between 76 and 78 depending on A/C use in house

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, maybe a month or more now? 2 of the 3 filters have been running for years.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin Bio Wheel 100, Tetra Whisper EX20 and Tetra Whisper EX70

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?I've been doing daily 25% - 50% changes, though the regularity of this has been impeded this week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? One comet, 4 or 5 inches without tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra AquaSafe

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? TetraFin Goldfish flakes in the morning, one pea in the evening. Proportions scaled back specifically for the duration of this adventure.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Not yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? A few bloody streaks, and a single white dot on the tail fin that has been present and unchanged for a week or so.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? General lethargy until feeding times; see above.

So here we go. I have a 1oz bottle of Hikari PraziPro. It says that I should use 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons and that "a single treatment lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient. Retreat as necessary, but no more than once every 3-5 days".

Tay linked me treatment plan. If I understand correctly, I add a teaspoon and a half (to cover my 29 gallons, rounded up to 30) the first day?

Then on the second day, I re-dose.

I wait three days.

Then I re-does,

and re-dose again on the next day?

It's after day 8 that I get really confused. If day 8 completes a round, do I go off and on for x amount of rounds to complete treatment?

Should I salt T.F. with the Prazi to help out his streaks and that mystery dot? To what concentration and for how long?

Another question: My tap water has Nitrates! Did I test wrong or something? Do I need to do anything to correct that, or does it just mean that I need to do my water changes at closer intervals?

I prefer a simpler dosing method where on day 1 you do a full dose of Prazi. Then let the Prazi be in the water for 3 days. If you are doing water changes during this time, you'll need to re-dose accordingly. After three days of Prazi, do a full water change to get rid of it, and do not add any Prazi back for 4 days. After those 4 days, add another full dose of Prazi and let it be in the water for 3 days. Followed by another 4 days of no Prazi. I keep doing this until I have done three or four rounds of Prazi and see no more flukes symptoms.

Sometimes tap water does have nitrates. You can test again to double check, but they may be in there. It just means you'll have to do more water changes than you may have if there were 0 nitrates in there. I have dealt with this before and used a nitrate removing resin made by Fluval with a lot of success, but I wouldn't recommend that for a tank that's still cycling.

As for the prazi, everyone seems to do it a little differently. Here's another thread about it http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78658-prazi/

And yes, you can use it with salt.

I do know you have to really shake that nitrate test solution very very well for the test to be accurate :) hope that helps :) I hope T.F. Feels better soon :)

I kept an eye on the clock whilst shaking. I think it really is the tap water. Ugh!

So it seems to me that the biggest thing with Prazi is repetition to kill the baddies as they hatch?

Is that the reason you are supposed to wait between doses? I decided last night to use the method Sakura suggested, and did a humungo 75% water change to hopefully avoid having to do water changes during the three days of Prazi. I have enough Prazi left to do three more doses. It wouldn't kill me to use it all up, but I'd rather not have to re-add because of water changes.

Will keep an eye on params though.

T.F. has already perked up a bit! I'm so glad! I'll keep an eye on his tail streaks and decide whether to salt him during the four day break. Would four days of salt be enough? I know you can use it with Prazi, but it looks like I'll be doing big water changes after and before using Prazi, so if it wouldn't do any harm to remove the salt,I'd have my chance then.

To what concentration would you go for tail streaks?

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

You're right, repetition is the main thing with Prazi and flukes. Prazi can't touch the flukes when they're in the egg form, and the flukes won't hatch as long as there's Prazi in the water. So you have to give a few days in between doses to allow them to hatch so you can kill 'em! :D With flukes it's really more about control than it is about totally eradicating them, as that's close to impossible.

Not sure about your salt questions.

Wow, day three already!

T.F. is doing less hovering, but we just replaced the kitchen light bulb and the thing is Christ's Coming bright, so I can't tell if he's hiding from that or of he's still down in the dumps. I leave the towel covering part of the tank when it's on for extended periods of time.

I caught him EXPLORING the other night! I was so happy!

Tonight we're due a giganto water change, but should I do 75% or 100% to clear out the Prazi?

I'm a little nervous about under taking a 100% water change. Ever since dropping T.F. I really don't like to move him around.

He still has enough water to swim during a 75% change so I can leave him in the tank and avoid catastrophe.

Any word on how much salt I should use for those tail streaks?