I Tried Broccoli!

After having heard the benefits of feeding broccoli - especially from Beancurd Turtle - I decided to give it a try!

I boiled them for about 10-15mins - until the tips were nice and soft - then I cooled them in cold water. I started with a large chunk (1inch diameter) for the guys in the main tank (I held it in with my fingers as the clip I have doesn't really work for the broccoli 'ends'). Anyways, OMG Sir Archie dashed over and started tearing it all apart! He is so strong! Einstein followed close by and sucked some chunks off too - then they took a break to munch all the food they have stuffed in their mouths!!! :food Sir Lancelot was too cute - he just hovered around, cleaning up the bits and pieces around the tank. (broccolis are a bit messy)...

Then I took a couple smaller chunks and fed those to my Ranchu Twins in QT. They were soooo cute - kept racing over and pecking pieces off (tiny ones since they are tiny too) :heart I let them take pecks at it for about 10mins.

Then was Dr.House's turn - she took AGES to realize the big green blob she was 'seeing' was food - but once she tasted it she went NUTS! :icecream

Finally, the only one I had to actually throw pieces in, as he doesn't really come to eat at the surface - is little Steve Urkel. He also seemed to have enjoyed it.

But all in all this was a SUCCESS!!! :thumb: I am not seeing any surface gulping from the big guys (as I do after some foods, so this is really positive - and no floatiness)

PS. Any tips regarding how much I can let them eat? The guys in the main tank took off quite some large pieces.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually keep mine on a clip, I leave it in for about 30minutes and take out what they haven't eaten.

I don't put mine on a clip, but I leave it in for about that time. They can't eat the stems.

I'll have to give it a try but I've heard that too much of it can cause them to become floaty. I'll just give mine a little bit just to be safe...

-Dennis

mine love broccoli i just toss it in and they tear it up. im not sure if gassy = floaty because i do notice mine farting but not being floaty. :rolleyes: