Some Sort Of Sore Or Infection On The Base Of Noodle's Top Fin.

j0shua

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6, GH and KH fairly low.

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Never tested.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit.

[*]Water temperature? 27.5C, 81.5F @ room temperature

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29g, 4 months.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaclear 50 & Eheim 2215 w/ 9w UV sterilizer.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? About 30% twice a week.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 orandas, Noodles and Dumpling, body length 1.5"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Hagen Nutrafin Aqua-Plus

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets, peas, broccoli. Small amounts twice a day.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? These two were introduced at the same time about 1 month ago.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? None.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Noodles has a fin sore.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Noodles is flashing a bit, a bit differently from their welcome dance they do for me.

Hi everyone. This morning I was greeted by Noodles and Dumpling fairly enthusiastically. I immediately noticed that Noodles was carrying a fin sore at the base of his top fin, as shown in the photos below. This is happening on an existing hole in his fin (which was much like the smaller hole on the bottom of the close up third pic). I don't know how he got those fin holes, but when I got him, there were two holes. The affected hole is the larger hole. His fin did have a faint white patch around the sore area the day before.

There appears to be some white stuff on it, as seen below.

4814237303_3889502760.jpg

From the other side:

4814237349_f4c2f77e0f.jpg

Close-up:

4814237465_bfea774725.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what it is, I think it's an infection of some sort, but I don't really know how he got it. The UV sterilizer has been going on nonstop daily, and the last water change was about 30% the day before with filtered tap water & Aqua-Plus. I'm thinking that a good course of action would be to start salting up the tank, maybe to 0.3%, would that be right?

Thanks in advance!

I think salt is a good idea - looks like a little infection. I think you can start with 0.1% and see how that goes. maybe 0.2%... if you have gravel and ornament, make sure you wash those off very well - as that is usually where the bacteria hide. Unfortunately the UV will only kill what is pumped in it - and bacteria hanging on to gravel, plants, deco etc - won't be affected....

best of luck! :)

PS. If you have low KH and GH you should maybe think of adding crushed coral to the filter.

I agree. Go with salt to start :). It may well be enough.

.. If similar type pimples start to appear he may need a round of Medigold or UltraCure BX antibiotic food.

Fish can be carrying bacterial colonies all over them at purchase and any tears or holes in fins/spots or marks at that time are fairly indicative of that.

Anything already on the fish will not be killed by UV.

It looks like a little septic sore caused by flavobacter or similar gram neg aerobic bacteria that favor fins.

I agree with Federica above, check tap pH and if kH is low you are going to need some buffer..flashing can mean dropping or fluctuating pH. Any unfavorable water conditions are going to aggravate this, an acidic pH for example.

Hi guys, Noodles wants to thank you all for helping out.

I've started salting up the tank, it's at 0.1% now. In 12 hours I'll take it up to 0.2% and observe for a couple of days.

I've had crushed coral in the Aquaclear since I started cycling the tank months ago. It was just a handful, but it appears to still be there. I read that the coral will dissolve over time if need be, but will remain there as a buffer if the water's fine.

The water change a couple of days ago dislodged some biofilm on the back of the tank, there were pieces floating around, and that happened just before Noodle's fin started acting up, so that may be a cause.

I don't think biofilm an cause infections. Bit since you did a cleaning - maybe you dislodged some bacterial pockets from the gravel or something.

I don't think biofilm an cause infections. Bit since you did a cleaning - maybe you dislodged some bacterial pockets from the gravel or something.

You may be right about dislodging some bacteria, Federica. I had to remove some underwater suction cups, and those things get quite nasty.

I'll salt up to 0.2% when I get home. Last night I found some Sera Fishtamins at my LFS, so I applied it as per manufacturer's instructions. I figured that some vitamins in the water wouldn't hurt.

Both the fishies were very active and hungry this morning, and Noodles looks to be a bit better. The smaller fin hole, which you can see to be a bit red in the close-up pic, has cleared up. The larger one still looks a bit angry, but hopefully it'll clear up soon too :)

What an adorable little oranda you have! Hopefully the salt will clear up his issues :) Vitamins in the water aren't easily taken up by the fish, so it's actually kind of a waste of money. It is beneficial for them to get vitamins though, so what you can do is make up a nice gel food for your fish and add a multivitamin (Centrum is good). You can have a look around the goldfish food forum if you're interested, you can actually use baby food for some recipes and it's pretty easy to do.

What an adorable little oranda you have! Hopefully the salt will clear up his issues :) Vitamins in the water aren't easily taken up by the fish, so it's actually kind of a waste of money. It is beneficial for them to get vitamins though, so what you can do is make up a nice gel food for your fish and add a multivitamin (Centrum is good). You can have a look around the goldfish food forum if you're interested, you can actually use baby food for some recipes and it's pretty easy to do.

Yeah, Noodles really is adorable, he's starting to respond a lot more to me nowadays. They both have a little performance they do, only when I'm in front of the tank. Both Noodles and Dumpling would swim near the top at the front of the tank, then dive sharply and quickly to the bottom, and swim back up and repeat the dive again. It's their way of attracting my attention, I think. They only do this when I'm in front, and when their green feeding cup isn't around. If they see the green cup, they'd know it's feeding time, and start circling the top like sharks.

I figured putting vitamins in the water wouldn't help that much cos it'll all get diluted, but figured it was better than nothing. I also tried soaking their pellets in a mixture of the vitamins and tank water, hoping that the pellets would absorb some. I'm interested in making some gel food, but I've got so much fish food with em right now, cos I've been buying all sorts of stuff and feeding them a little bit of each. There's like 3 types of pellets, freeze dried blood worms (which I'm not using anymore), frozen blood worms, krill, broccoli and peas. One day, I'll get around to making some yummy gel food for them :)