Sign in to follow this  
goldenlady

How To Move With A Goldfish

I am moving from Ohio to Arizona. I will be flying close to 6 hours to our new home. I need to know how best to move my goldfish. I called FedEx and they said they would not allow me as a private individual to ship my goldfish Overnight Express. Has anyone shipped their fish before? Help, please?

FedEx won't do it? They should, the fish are not warm blooded mammals. Demand to talk to corporate, if that isn't who you talked to first.

Or ship them anyway. Tell them that the box is just filled with water, they won't ask questions, and that it is perishable. They will look at you weird but usually ship it.

Or use UPS. I love to use them. They have no questions.

I have seen what happens to boxes behind the scenes at shipping companies. People have to move 500+ boxes a day they don't take the time to be careful trust me. I have seen boxes fall from 8 feet up, kicked across floors, tossed, and have other boxes slammed on top of them. I don't mean to scare you, just the reality of it. Make sure you mark "LIVE FISH" in big letters across the box so that anyone picking up the box will have an idea of what they are handling. Most of the time we see these fragile stickers after the box has been chucked on to a pallet, etc. Also white boxes stand out as having a perishable item in them more than brown. I would suggest to find a white box. Also pack with lots of bubble wrap.

I also hear more air than water in the box is better for shipping as the fish need the o2 more than water quality during transport. Make sure not to feed heavily before shipping as it will create waste in the water.

Good luck and hopefully you will find a shipping company that will ship them.

Alternative to shipping, depending on the size/quantity of your fish... You could pack them up in a box like you were shipping, but take them on the plane as a "carry on" and put them in the overhead. You're very limited on space this way, but at least you'll know EXACTLY what kind of handling your fish have been through, with the added bonus of being able to keep them OUT of the box as long as possible before you leave, and take them BACK out immediately upon arrival. If you choose to go with this method, make sure your box meets carryon size restrictions BEFORE packing up your fish, the last thing you want is for it to be too big and have to make alternate plans at the last minute.

Hope this helps!

TDR

But you aren't allowed to bring liquids of any sort on planes, I think the fish (along with their water) would be confiscated at the security check-in. :(

But you aren't allowed to bring liquids of any sort on planes, I think the fish (along with their water) would be confiscated at the security check-in. :(

Exactly. I have no idea about this, but is it possible to have him shipped in cargo with you, just as you would a dog or a cat?

You would have to call the airlines in which your flying with, some will and others wont. :)