Which Is Better?

oooo my bad. well I think it comes down to personal preference really. I myself don't like and don't use hob filters. between the two the canister has more room for bio media then the hob. I like the canister mainly b/c I don't have any of the problems that I had when I used to use hob's. ...maybe I should stop typing and let some others who know about the penguin 305 give their opinion. :doh11::goodluck

I love my hob filter, it's very quiet and does it's job tirelessly. I think you should get more than your tank requires to cope with five or six goldies. I use an aquaclear 70 on my 55 gallon tank. I wonder now if I should've gone with a 90. Some people use more than one filter...maybe someday I will, too. The advice I got was that fluval was not the best or easy to maintain. Hope that helps.

Edited by nanobelle

I love my hob filter, it's very quiet and does it's job tirelessly. I think you should get more than your tank requires to cope with five or six goldies. I use an aquaclear 70 on my 55 gallon tank. I wonder now if I should've gone with a 90. Some people use more than one filter...maybe someday I will, too. The advice I got was that fluval was not the best or easy to maintain. Hope that helps.

An AC70 is only 300 gallons per hour, which isn't enough for goldfish in a 55 gallon tank. For tropical community fish that would be just fine, but goldfish require much more heavy duty filtration because they poo a lot! I have two AC70's on my 55 gallon tank, for a combined gph of 600. (You need at least 550 for a 55 gallon tank). The rule of thumb is 10x the water volume. I know it's a pain because filters are so darn expensive! But your goldies will thank you for it! :)

Yep, whether to use a HOB or canister filter is totally up to you. I'm a diehard canister lover and found my last HOB filter to be noisy, as well as wimpy filtration-wise.

The Fluval 405 is a good filter -- I used to have two Fluval 404s on a 55 gallon goldie tank and I loved them to pieces. The GPH (gallons per hour) of the Fluval 405 is only 340, however, so I would definitely have more than one filter to give yourself adequate filtration for your goldfish. The Fluval 305 does 260 GPH, which will definitely get you closer to the recommended 10x per hour that goldies need.

I personally use Rena xP canisters, and have two xP1s on my 46 gallon tank (at 250 GPH each). The xP2 gets 300 GPH -- two of those would be PERFECT for a 55-gallon tank. Rena xPs are more affordable than Fluvals, too.

Well, I'll go the other way on this one. Like Sakura, I run two AC 70's on my 55 gallon tank with no problems for almost a year...parameters are always spot on and I couldn't be more pleased. I've also purchased three AC 110's for my new 120 gallon tank, so I'm happy with the AC HOB's....

-Dennis

use both? =)

thanks guys , i have both filters on my 79 gallon tank but my tank is mainly made for the canasters filters. both of these filters are not enough for 10x filtration , i guess i gotta get a 3rd filter :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

When i had my 80 gal tank. i had 2 Penguins the biggest ones, and a Eheim 2228 filter. That tank had plenty of filtration and the tank stayed nice and clean :)

When i had my 80 gal tank. i had 2 Penguins the biggest ones, and a Eheim 2228 filter. That tank had plenty of filtration and the tank stayed nice and clean smile.gif

my tank is set up different it has like a glass rim in the tank, i cant put the penguin filter i only can use a canaster filter :( ... i only reliazed that when i bought the aquarium ...

I used to run two F405's now I have one big FX5. I might switch to Eheim canister some day but I got the Fx5 used and cheap!

405's can be hard to get primed, it's also kinda hard to get them open. I had to wear sneakers and grip each side of the canister with my feet and pull the lid up. The 405 work well besides that! Quiet with a good reputation. I had one motor burn out after about 4 years.

I just purchased a fluval 305 and I LOVE it. :) 1000lph for a 119 litre tank.

I might add that they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo quite.

worked istantly, 2 year warranty.

Love it! :heart

I used to run two F405's now I have one big FX5. I might switch to Eheim canister some day but I got the Fx5 used and cheap!

405's can be hard to get primed, it's also kinda hard to get them open. I had to wear sneakers and grip each side of the canister with my feet and pull the lid up. The 405 work well besides that! Quiet with a good reputation. I had one motor burn out after about 4 years.

Yes! I had to switch between my mother's partner and I for the initial prime lol.

I have the Fluval 405 - it came with my fluval tank. it is a good filter. It is silent, has good media space and is very easy to start.

However, I do run it with 2 other canisters. Eheim Pro 3 and JBL 1500.

• Admin

the only thing I dont like about Fluvals is the hoses, they look like Vacuum hoses and those little crevasses causes particles to pile up inside the hose, then when you clean the filter, plug it back in it blows all the gunk in the tank again :(