What Size Of Tank Dose A Betta Need?

kevinmj_3

You will get mixed opinions on this, but I prefer to give my betta at least 3 gallons (11.3 liters) of water. I am not good at keeping up with water changes on the betta tank, so the larger volume of water gives me a small margin of error should I lag a bit. This is why I couldn't keep him in a 1 gallon (3.7 liter) bowl because with those you have to do a full water change every few days. I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with that.

Some bettas seem to do better in larger tanks and don't do well in small tanks, while the opposite is true for other bettas. It depends on the individual fish. My betta is in a 5 gallon (18.9 liter) tank and he loves the space, so we're planning to upgrade him to a 10 gallon (37.8 liter) because I think he will enjoy it.

1 US gallon roughly equals 3.5 - 4 litres.

I have kept bettas in 2 gallon, 5 gallon, and 10 gallon tanks, and also once a very chilled out male lived in a 24G community tank.

I can definitely say in my experience the more room the better.

Daily (or at least every other day) water changes in the 2 gallon were both a chore to me and stressed out my betta, and it was too small to have a decent heater and certainly not a filter. Some do ok in this though. You need to keep on top of water changes.

5 gallon was ok, it was at least large enough to be able to heat it properly and have a small sponge filter (plenty of people manage without a filter but I've never had a betta that had a problem with one).

The 10 gallon I have now is the best option by far for me, my betta loves the extra room, and I can heat and filter it efficiently, it's cycled, cutting down on the very frequent water changes.

You'll also get people happy to keep them in 1 gallon jars but I think that's far too small.

It's really down to what you can manage and maintain.

I have kept mine in 1 gallon jars with no problems. Sorry no clue what the litters are.

Just have to do extra water changes cause a tank that small wont cycle.

so i take it all these warm water Tropical fish dont need as much space as goldfish i have a spare 35 litre tank about 7 gallans how many Tropical fish could i get in there is there any guide like people say on here for goldfish that they need 10 or 20 gallans each.

Each fish is different. Example. Oscars need 55 gallons for the first one. Goldfish need 10 and 20 gallons. Angelfish need at least a 10 gallon but nothing smaller then a 20 high cause of how "tall" they get.

Guppies don't need as much water. Some say you can keep 10 per gallon but I would not do that. Maybe 3 in a tank that small.

So decide what you want and then research that fish. That is why it is best to get the tank after you decide what fish you want.

Good Luck

So decide what you want and then research that fish. That is why it is best to get the tank after you decide what fish you want.

Good Luck

I didnt just go out and buy the fish tank i have had it for years i used to keep a goldfish in it till i learned a goldfish needed atleast 10 or 20 gallans so got a 20 gallan tank and im just wondering what fish i could put in the 7 gallan one.

I think a betta would be very happy in a 7 gallon, I keep mine in a 4 and 6 gallon without filters with weekly 100% water changes and they're both active and seem happy.

If you want something other than a betta you're looking at the smaller tropical fish, fish like tetras and guppies like to be in groups of a minimum of 5 fish and you don't really have space for more than 3-4 in my opinion. I think you might be ok with platies, maybe 2 but make sure they're both male or both female (you will find information on how to sex them online) as I don't think they're schooling fish, mollies might be a possibility too, 2 of them but someone else will have to confirm that as I don't know much about them at all.

Good luck finding something :)

Something else you could consider is dwarf puffers, a 7 gallon is about big enough for 2 if you decorate if very heavily, they need a lot of things to break up territories and lines-of-sight. We keep one in a 7 gallon that's only lightly decorated with a few fake plants, some driftwood and a few chunks of quartz. He's very happy in there on his own and when we lift the lid he comes right to the top front and peers out at us waiting for his food heartpump.gif