Attempting A Planted Tank

lclayton

Having a lot of success with plants in my community tank so I thought I'd transfer some over to Pepper's 10G. This is his old tank of silk plants:

16072010921.jpg

Today I added quite a few Java ferns attached to his favourite log, and a lump of driftwood with another fern, some Java moss and a small anubias barteri broad leaf plant, plus some of the grass (I have no idea what that's actually called?) that is threatening to take over my other tank. There's also some water lettuce - not sure how well that will do though...

All needs to grow a bit more but I prefer it already (and I think Pepper does as well):

20072010927.jpg

nice! and the wood deco pieces you have in there are so cool! does he go inside?

Yep, all the time :) He kinds of sits in the entrance on the side of the tall one, leaning against the side, chilling out for a few minutes, and if I ever can't see him he's usually in the log.

Looks fantastic with the live plants :) Don't get me wrong,it looked nice before as well... but wait till the live one's fill in :)

Yep, hoping it'll be looking much better in a few weeks :)

Nice.

Now tear it all down and ad5 some organic miracle grow potting soil about 1/2 an inch under the gravel.

The only planted thing is the grass and if that doesn't survive I don't really mind. The gravel is deeper than it looks, the base has quite a high edging to it. I don't use any fert substrate in my main tank, only normal gravel and I add liquid feed, and the plants are doing fine.

Edited by lclayton

Soil will give all your plants ferts not just the ones in it. That is why I suggest it. All my planted tanks have soil in them. Some more then others. Not for a deep gravel bed but for the nutrition it supplies the plants.

I have done the gravel only planted tanks a couple times. The plants just don't do as well for me as they do with some soil. But your water may have more ferts in it then mine does. There is this web site all about gravel only tanks and they look great.

Gravel only planted tanks.