Test Kit Helper

jody

I always found it frustrating testing my water when the test tubes would fall over or worse fall on the floor and break. The hagen ones especially since they are rounded at the bottom require a holder for them, they are packaged with a plastic one but it is cumbersome and hard to work with when using two or more. I came up with the idea to drill holes in wood to hold them in place. I start with a piece of 1"X4" and cut its desired length. And then drill the amount of holes needed for my test tubes. You could even customize one with 50 holders if needed for multiple tanks. I used a little piece of thin masonite for a backdrop on one and pasted my test kit reference colors on. I know the hagen tubes require a 5/8" drill bit but I am not sure what size the API ones need, just play around on a test piece of lumber intill you come up with the right fit. A drill press works best but a steady hand can do a job just the same. Good luck :D

testkits.jpg

Cool thanks guys :D

I wouldn't know what'd I do without mine now.

I painted one of mine white to help with the spills and drips, the white also helps reading the colors. The other bare one might look a bit haggard now after two years, but it hasn't warped/rotted or anything. Kyrlon makes a nice wood spray paint.

I am going back to my folks place next weekend where I have a wood shop. I'll take a look at the scrap pile and see if I can make you one. How many tube holes do you need? And what type, API?

• 2 weeks later...

Also when the water indicator line starts to wear off you can wrap a piece of tape around it to mark the fill level. :testkit: haha

• 4 weeks later...

My Iron test kit is Hagen and the rounded bottom with the flimsy cap is a nightmare, the plastic holder that came with it is in tatters. Today I got my API Freshwater Master Kit and already had my test charts flying around. This is a great idea, I'll see if I can make something like this myself for now.