My Goldfish

hi

check out my Goldfish please and tell me what you think. The comment Goldfish is one of my first Goldfish had him for 3 years he had a mate when i first got him but he diead within 6 months the commet is called Ronnie.

My other fish is bran new bought today Ronnie first mate in 2 years was wondering how he would re-act to having to share his tank but i think he loves his new mate called Bulls eye a Common Goldfish.

Bullys eye is too big for Ronnie to eat isent he ? cause i heard goldfish will eat anything they can fit in there mouth surely bullys eye is too big to fit in his mouth ?

anyway check out my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2nlLipT5NU

leave comments please good or bad i dont mind thank you!

It is always best to QT new fish for at least 2 weeks to a month.

Also for a three year old fish it looks to small. Might be stunned cause the tank is to small it looks like.

You need a 40 gallon tank with at least 400gph filters for both of them.

Good luck

It is always best to QT new fish for at least 2 weeks to a month.

Also for a three year old fish it looks to small. Might be stunned cause the tank is to small it looks like.

You need a 40 gallon tank with at least 400gph filters for both of them.

Good luck

QT ??????

It looks like they are getting along just great. :) Ronnie will not eat Bulls Eye, goodness gracious no, Bulls eye is far too big to be eaten by him.

QT is quarantine procedure, basically just keeping your new guy seperate from Ronnie so that he doesnt transmit any parasites or disease to him he may be carrying. A more detailed regime is mentioned here I myself just salt at 0.3% for two weeks with a round of Prazi-Pro in there, if no ill symptoms appear in that period then I transfer into the desired tank with his mates. By the end of the two weeks I am so friggin excited to add them together I can hardly contain myself. You will need a seperate tank for this and another filter. A cheap method is to pick up a 10 gallon rubbermaid tub at the hardware store and buy a small filter from the pet store or chain department store.

You have got them together now, I would just watch closely thier behavior and physical well being. If anything pops up then post in our diagnosis and discussion section and someone will help you with that. I might be tempted to treat them both with the salt and prazi though. It is your call.

Welcome to Kokos if you havent been welcomed yet :D You are in the right place for all your goldfish needs.

It looks like they are getting along just great. :) Ronnie will not eat Bulls Eye, goodness gracious no, Bulls eye is far too big to be eaten by him.

QT is quarantine procedure, basically just keeping your new guy seperate from Ronnie so that he doesnt transmit any parasites or disease to him he may be carrying. A more detailed regime is mentioned here I myself just salt at 0.3% for two weeks with a round of Prazi-Pro in there, if no ill symptoms appear in that period then I transfer into the desired tank with his mates. By the end of the two weeks I am so friggin excited to add them together I can hardly contain myself. You will need a seperate tank for this and another filter. A cheap method is to pick up a 10 gallon rubbermaid tub at the hardware store and buy a small filter from the pet store or chain department store.

You have got them together now, I would just watch closely thier behavior and physical well being. If anything pops up then post in our diagnosis and discussion section and someone will help you with that. I might be tempted to treat them both with the salt and prazi though. It is your call.

Welcome to Kokos if you havent been welcomed yet :D You are in the right place for all your goldfish needs.

hi cheers i knew he was too big i was just making sure lol he has lasted the night anyway i wanted to put bulls eye in a seprate tank for a bit cause i know a bit about fish and i know that a new fish could have caught something from the other fish it was with but my mum was like if you getting another fish its going in with the other one! she like you eaither take the risk or you dont the new fish better not kill my new one cause if it dose thats 3 years out the window.how long will it be till i know its safe ? a week ?

Yeah you have to make do with what ya got, I know what you mean. To be honest I don't know how long each different disease takes for a breakout, some move quicker than others. I have heard of bacteria living in tanks for months not affecting the fish until the fish becomes stressed and more susceptible, then it becomes a problem. It would be safe to say that a week might be jumping the gun on whether things are all good or not, probably 1-2 months in my opinion. Here is a link to our disease page, which contains some things to watch out for.

Can you get your hands on Prazi-Pro. I know we have members from the UK that could help you get your hands on it. That and aquarium salt are your basic first aid kit for many goldfish problems. One thing we might want to take a look at first would be your water parameters. There are 4 essential levels to keep an eye on when keeping fish. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH. The first three all have to do with the nitrogen cycle of the tank. The goal is to have a completly cycled tank with 0-ammonia, 0-nitrites, and finally the end result of the cycle Nitrates which have to be removed with water changes, I like to keep this under 20 but some people don't mind it getting higher before the water change. If your ammonia is high then it must be removed through, you guessed it, water changes. You may already be familiar with this process, I know you have been keeping fish for a while now. I guess what I am getting at is you added another fish to a tank that is only suitable for your Ronnie. The result is going to be more waste(ammonia) which in turn you may have to do more frequent water changes. What I am saying is what are your levels? How often are you changing the water, and how much? Test kits can be expensive, so I reccomend a master kit to start with those crucial 4 tests.

Sorry if I covered things you already knew I just wanted to get an idea of where your at, because with an overstocked tank now, things can get complicated. If in doubt do a water change. It might be an option to take back the new fish to where you got him if your not prepared for the requirements of the new fish. One thing you will have to prepare for and soon is a tank upgrade, the bigger the better, 40 gallon as Hidr said is recommended.

Cheers

Yeah you have to make do with what ya got, I know what you mean. To be honest I don't know how long each different disease takes for a breakout, some move quicker than others. I have heard of bacteria living in tanks for months not affecting the fish until the fish becomes stressed and more susceptible, then it becomes a problem. It would be safe to say that a week might be jumping the gun on whether things are all good or not, probably 1-2 months in my opinion. Here is a link to our disease page, which contains some things to watch out for.

Can you get your hands on Prazi-Pro. I know we have members from the UK that could help you get your hands on it. That and aquarium salt are your basic first aid kit for many goldfish problems. One thing we might want to take a look at first would be your water parameters. There are 4 essential levels to keep an eye on when keeping fish. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH. The first three all have to do with the nitrogen cycle of the tank. The goal is to have a completly cycled tank with 0-ammonia, 0-nitrites, and finally the end result of the cycle Nitrates which have to be removed with water changes, I like to keep this under 20 but some people don't mind it getting higher before the water change. If your ammonia is high then it must be removed through, you guessed it, water changes. You may already be familiar with this process, I know you have been keeping fish for a while now. I guess what I am getting at is you added another fish to a tank that is only suitable for your Ronnie. The result is going to be more waste(ammonia) which in turn you may have to do more frequent water changes. What I am saying is what are your levels? How often are you changing the water, and how much? Test kits can be expensive, so I reccomend a master kit to start with those crucial 4 tests.

Sorry if I covered things you already knew I just wanted to get an idea of where your at, because with an overstocked tank now, things can get complicated. If in doubt do a water change. It might be an option to take back the new fish to where you got him if your not prepared for the requirements of the new fish. One thing you will have to prepare for and soon is a tank upgrade, the bigger the better, 40 gallon as Hidr said is recommended.

Cheers

yes i will try and get hold of a tester kit and all do more regular water changes but i cant upgrade to a bigger tank because i stil live at home with my mum and dad and my mum hates the smell of fish so she wont let me get a bigger fish tank.I want be buying anymore fish to put in this tank i know i am pushing my luck putting a second fish in it but when im older and do get my own place im gonna save up and get a big gaint tank one of them 300 gallan ones or something lol

Yeah 300 gallon would be nice, lol. You could have lots of fish then. Smelly tanks are usually caused by poor water conditions. Maybe you could convince your mom that a bigger tank would equal less smell. For the time being when you get your test kit it will tell you when to change the water.I can tell you really care about the fish, so as you said more frequent water changes are going to be needed by you. Bulls eye will be stunted just like your Ronnie caused by the small surroundings. Only the organs contnue to grow causing them to be squished inside causing problems. Commons are hardy fish though, is why Ronnie has lived so long and good care on your part with the water changes.

What brand of filter do you have and what is the gallons per hour rate? This can usually be found by googling your filter brand and model or checking the documentation that came with the filter. A flow rate of 100 gph per 10 gallons is needed for your fish. In your case with a 15-20 gallon you would need 200 gph. Only one thing, the tank is overstocked by double. Which in your case would mean 400 gph. 400 gph in a small tank would most likely cause too much current however I know other members have experience with minimizing that. You might be able to get away with 200 gph but in turn more water changes will be needed, my guess would be 2-3 50% water changes per week. A 20 gallon is easy to change the water in so 80% at a time is better, especiall since you have the buckets out and everything. Your test kit will tell you how often this will be needed. Also what is your filter regime, how often is is cleaned out and what do you have for bio meadia in it. Bio media such as bio floss ( found in most cheaper filters) or a bio wheel on penguins and emporers, also biomax found in aquaclears. Dont super clean out your filter just yet as during cycling the filter should be left alone for the most part except rinsing the pads, etc in dechlorinated water, not water straight from the tap.

Cycling a tank that is over stocked can be a problem as well, some tanks will never cycle that way. I was able to cycle a 10 gallon with two adult fancy goldfish when I first started, although I was stubborn in accepting the needs of these fish, I ran into problems fairly quickly.

Another thing with an over stocked tank I would remove the gravel. It is easier to control the waste with a bare bottom. If you keep the gravel make sure you vacum it with a syphon to get all the waste trapped in the rocks. If you decide to remove the gravel remove it bits at a time as benificial bacteria live in the gravel which feed the cycle. I would remove 1/4-1/3 every week to 2 weeks until it is all gone. Also make sure you are lifting up those ornaments and getting the built up waste under them out.

You can see that an overstocked tank requires much more work and the health of the fish is comprimised. I know I am bombarding you with tons of information, don't get me wrong, I can see you care about your goldies and want the best for them. A 40 gallon with 400 gph would only require about 50% weekly, but I would reccomend 80%.

For now keep up with the water changes, gravel vacs, and minimum feeding (over feeding causes much waste (ammoina)). If anything get an ammonia test kit if you are not able to get the others. If your ammonia is high I would recommend 25% daily until you can test that.

Oh dear I hope I didnt scare you off with all my ramblings :sorry:: I have a tendency to wave that Koko's stick from time to time :bat:

How are things with Bulls Eye and Ronnie? Best of buddies I hope :)

• 2 years later...

havent been on this is 3 years Ronnie is still alive and kicking he is now 6 years old and bulls eye is 3 years old.

Welcome back! Will you post some video or pic updates for us? :)