How To Feed A Little Goldfish That Is In A Tank With A Big Goldfish

kevinmj_3

Hi

Ok so this is my problem i have a commet Goldfish had it for 3 years on the 25th of july he has been alone for 2 years now i desided to get him some company i bought a small Common Goldfish too big for my commet goldfish too eat im sure.anyway when it comes to feed them the big commet goldfish eats all the food he can swim to it faster and the small one gives up.

i dont want the small one to die from starvation any idea's how i can feed it ? will i maybe have to move him into a diffrent tank till hes big enough to fight off my commet goldfish for food or is there something you can buy to split the tank so i could feed them seprate ?

here is a video of them both http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2nlLipT5NU

please excuse my spelling its terrible sorry and thank you for you replys in advance!

Edited by 31312dqwd

Cute fish!

I especially like the red and white one.

You can train your fish to eat in separate areas, or train them to eat out of your hands. That last one is the most fun, and you can control their portions. Both take a little patience though.

Do you happen to know how many gallons or liters your tank holds?

think its about 15 or 20 gallan not sure its just really a way to feed the little goldfish i cant really feed them at diffrent side of the tank cause they swim all over and the big one eats food all over the tank the filter moves the food around and the big one eats it when it falls under but the little one gets half way up to the top then gives up lol

dont think i could hand feed any of them straight away had the big one for 3 years never done it with him and the little ones just new so a hand would more than likely freak him out.

Hand feeding your goldies is easy!

I'll tell you how I did it. I started by feeding him at a certain spot each day. Once he learned where to go for food, I started putting my fingers in the water and waiting. Bold fish might take the hint, but if your fish are shy, you can drop the food. Each day you can wait a little longer before dropping the food. Soon enough, your pigs, I mean fish, will get impatient and steal it out of your fingers.

You can use your hand to keep the bigger fish back, or use both hands for feeding.

I am a little concerned about your tank size though. Is there any way you could measure it's length, width and height? From that we can plug it into a calculator and find your actual gallonage.

What kind of filter do you have?

You can train your fish,but in the meantime,if you are worried about the little guy,you can feed him in a basket.When I need to feed 1 of my fish something different from the others,I use 1 of these-it floats:

IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0373.jpg

I got mine in the cosmetic dept.,and they sell them as drawer organizers also. good luck to you ;)

Hand feeding your goldies is easy!

I'll tell you how I did it. I started by feeding him at a certain spot each day. Once he learned where to go for food, I started putting my fingers in the water and waiting. Bold fish might take the hint, but if your fish are shy, you can drop the food. Each day you can wait a little longer before dropping the food. Soon enough, your pigs, I mean fish, will get impatient and steal it out of your fingers.

You can use your hand to keep the bigger fish back, or use both hands for feeding.

I am a little concerned about your tank size though. Is there any way you could measure it's length, width and height? From that we can plug it into a calculator and find your actual gallonage.

What kind of filter do you have?

Hi

thanks for the things you told me dont worry about the size i have it well under control i know you need atleast 10 gallans per fish well this tank is over 10 gallons and enough to hold the little one just now i will probly need to move him out when he's older or get a bigger tank.

ummm... I don't know if anyone else noticed, but one of those fish does NOT look like a common/comet to me. The orange and white one IS a commet, but the other looks like some sort of fancy to me. The body shape was what clued me in, and I'd also SWEAR I saw a double tail despite how fuzzy the vid was on my comp. That would go a long way to explaining why one is so much slower than the other, fancies don't swim as well as comets do.

Unfortunately that's one of the problems of having common goldfish in with fancy goldies. I think the solid orange one is a fantail. The commons always swim faster and regardless of size they always will, they are streamlined and made for speed. However you can try feeding them at night and turn the tank light off, the darkness will slow down the common and give your other fish a chance.

Oh, okay. 31312, I didn't know if you knew yet. I'm sorry!

nah mate no need to say sorry its fine cheers for your help i think the feeding thing is sorted i jst fed them there and im sure the Small one eat more than the big one lol

Unfortunately that's one of the problems of having common goldfish in with fancy goldies. I think the solid orange one is a fantail. The commons always swim faster and regardless of size they always will, they are streamlined and made for speed. However you can try feeding them at night and turn the tank light off, the darkness will slow down the common and give your other fish a chance.

when i gave them some food tonight the small fish eat most of it probably more than the big one the big one did eat too so i think its sorted fingers crossed.i know the big one is a commet i thought the small one might have been a common but you think its a fantail should i get some more pictures to help you find out ?

Just so you know your bigger fish the comet needs a full 20 gallons to live in comfortably. Your fancy smaller fish needs 10 gallons, and ideally these two types of fish shouldn't be kept together because the comet will be faster and will eat all the food before the fancy has even reached the food area. If you don't have an extra tank I'd advise that you try and rehome one, probably the comet since he is lovely and big and I am sure would looooveeee a pond to live in! xxx