Best Set Up For A Bubble Eye.

I love bubble eye goldfish and used to have three. unfortunately they all died because of an equipment problem. I'm thinking of getting one again, but i don;t think the tank set up i had last time was as good as it could have been. What would be the best sort of set up for a bubble eye?

First of all, you will need to allow 10 gallons of space per fish, and you will need 10x filtration. The usual. :) As for decor, minimal is best. You should keep the tank bare-bottom, because bubble eyes can easily tear their bubbles open on the gravel. If you don't like the look of bare-bottom tanks you can try painting the outside bottom glass, I've seen that done and it looks really nice. You can scatter a few large, smooth rocks on the bottom if you wish. Just remember, nothing sharp. Also keep decorations to a minimum. I think if you need to have decor, your best bet is a very soft real plant. Your selections will be limited with no gravel, but there are some (java fern, cabomba, anacharis) that can be tied onto a smooth rock with fishing line. Cabomba and anacharis can also be left free floating in the tank, but they may get pushed around a lot by the filter.

You will also need to make some sort of cover for the filter intake, because the bubble eye can get stuck on there and the suction will pop the bubbles. Some people choose to cover the intake with a chunk of sponge, or even wrap it in nylon stocking secured by a rubber band. I think both methods work well. If your bubble eye has trouble swimming against the current from the filter outflow, you may also need to baffle that. You can place a bundle of plants in front of it, or you can rig up a way to tie a chunk of sponge in front of it.

About the filter thing. I was planning on using one of the Fluval U series. Would that be ok? Or does it need more covering?

Would fake plants be ok if they were soft and blunt enough?

I think silk plants would be okay, but only if they don't have any plastic parts on them. I'm not 100% sure, maybe someone with more bubble-eye experience can tell you for sure.

That filter does look like it would be difficult to cover the intakes. What you can do is create a "fence" around the filter so that the fish can't get to it. You can use crafting needlepoint canvas and attach suction cups to it using aquarium silicone, and create a barrier around the filter with that. You will need to make sure there are no areas where your fish could get stuck though. I used that stuff once to make a barrier around my filter intake tubes and left the tiniest opening at the top. Somehow one of my fish managed to squeeze himself in there and get stuck! So you just have to be extremely careful to cover all gaps.

Maybe someone else will have other ideas too.

I would start out with at least a 20 gallon and 10 gallons per fish. Once a week LARGE water changes. Maybe a fishless cycle since they seem to be a little more fragile then other goldfish. Be careful nothing is in the tank to hurt the eyes.

Pretty much care for them like you should all goldfish just keep an extra eye out for them eyes. I would also go barebottom. Even large river rocks would worry me with those eye sacks.

Good Luck

I agree with Hidr - nothing on the floor, since they cannot see in front of them, they will be smashing into walls and corners etc.

They are very very very fragile to bad water - so definitely a fishless cycle and large weekly water changes. (watch out with the python as they get sucked into it so fast - that is how I killed my Chuck :( )

My bubble eye was a pretty tough cookie - he was the only one to survive the fungus that got into my tank with an unqt fish. But he was always weak and my filtration was hard on him. At the time I had a power head hooked to a large sponge - so no rough intake, but sometimes I would find him just laying against the sponge- sucked up against it. And the stream out was hard on him too. If I blocked it with anything he would get thrown against it. His bubbles leaked a few times, but always came back. I finally took him back to my lfs because I didn't feel I could do right by him with the set up I had. I actually put him in a bowl for transport and he was as happy as I had seen him - not having to fight current.

Sadly we have had many cases here of bubble eye fish getting bubbles popped on fake and real plants :(. Honestly your very best bet is nothing at all in the tank.

Bubble eyes are so cute and appealing, good luck with yours :heart

I'm not sure what you mean by a cycle, fishless or otherwise. Also (i asked this in another thread and got no reply) what do you mean by python?

Nothing in the tank? The fish would get incredibly bored; I don;t think I could do that to a living creature.

Fish don't need as much mental stimulus as humans do, their brains are not nearly as developed. They will be fine :) Besides, it's much better to have a slightly bored fish than to have a fish with it's bubble popped open and a great risk of a life-threatening bacterial infection setting in.

This is a python: python

And by "cycle" we mean the nitrogen cycle: cycling

Fish don't need as much mental stimulus as humans do, their brains are not nearly as developed.

I'm fully aware of that, which is why i'm not sticking the latest issue of National Geographic into my fish tank. But any creature that has the ability to be inquisitive can also get bored.

As for cycling, I've always heard, and put into practice, you should leave the tank running for atleast a week before you put any fish in; not just the 24 hours stated in your link.

Somone once suggested cottonwool, hung from corks floating at the top. Surely that wouldn't hurt their eye sacks...

As for cycling, I've always heard, and put into practice, you should leave the tank running for atleast a week before you put any fish in; not just the 24 hours stated in your link.

A fishless cycle doesn't take a week - and the tank doesn't just cycle itself. It takes about one month and it will only work if you introduce pure ammonia into the water to simulate fish waste etc. 'leaving' a tank for one week is pointless. The thing is that with bubble eyes you cannot have any ammonia or nitrites in the tank - so it has to be perfectly cycled before you introduce the fish. You cannot afford guess work with these fish.

As for entertainment, this was my Chuck before he died from an infection from the burst bubbles. I let you decide if that is really worth it.

DSCN2143.jpg

PS. I would assume cotton balls would just become breeding grounds for bacteria and waste.

CFG, Chuck was so handsome. I am so sorry about his loss, even if it's not recent it still hurts. :(:hug:

I agree with everything said by everyone else except the OP. Ornamental goldfish don't need frills and thrills in their tank point blank. And when it comes to the bubble sacks this is when you need a tank with absolutely no decor for their safety. I find it almost impossible to offer any further advise as the OP always has some rebuttal to the well thought out and knowledgeable advice that is given in every thread he makes.

thanx Martha. :death

he was my little darling. such a great personality! My boyfriend brought him home as a surprise (I had always been afraid of bubble eyes - too sensitive). Anyways, he died a long death about 2 weeks after we got him. I was so upset - even boyfriend still talks about him sometimes. We had even planned to get his own 'bubble proof' large tank with a friend.

this was him before the accident:

DSCN2095-1.jpg

RIP Little Chuck Norris.

I have to agree goldfish do not need decorations. Those are just there for us. But you could put in a bubble stone. I have heard of some goldfish "playing" in them. Mine don't. My goldfish don't play with their fake plants either. Those are there for me not them.

Maybe two bubble eye fish entertain each other?

Also I think my Betta is entertained by us when we come in the room. Can you put your fish is a room with human activity?

With my Bettas I prefer to have at least two next to each other. Right now they are in the warmer room in the house so they don't see each other due to space/arrangement but they both can see the goldfish activity.

I don't think fish need beauty but I thing some environmental stimulation is good.

Edited by Texana

Even something smooth can pop the bubble if they run into it. They also get caught in any current because in addition to the bubbles, they don't have the dorsal and are eggy fish. Like I said, my guy was a trouper, but the current just wore him out. He would do well with another bubble eye, even my lionhead was a speed demon next to Parsnip.

I agree with everything said by everyone else except the OP. Ornamental goldfish don't need frills and thrills in their tank point blank. And when it comes to the bubble sacks this is when you need a tank with absolutely no decor for their safety. I find it almost impossible to offer any further advise as the OP always has some rebuttal to the well thought out and knowledgeable advice that is given in every thread he makes.

That seemed a bit harsh :( . Surely I'm aloud a difference of opinion. Is that not the purpose of a forum; to discuss things? Rather than just blindly follow what one person or group thinks?

I'm here for advice, that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with everything you say. But I do consider everything that is said (err, typed) and i do appreciate all the people who have given advice, whether I agree with it or not. When I used to have bubble eyes, i had three, with a fake plant and some rocks and not once did any of them have a popped bubble.

Just because I don't agree with everything everyone says, I seem to have got this reputation as someone who argues for the sake of it. That's really not the way i wanted it come across. I've even stopped posting on some threads to give people advice myself because it may conflict with what other people have said. :(

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

. Surely I'm aloud a difference of opinion. Is that not the purpose of a forum; to discuss things? Rather than just blindly follow what one person or group thinks?

I'm here for advice, that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with everything you say.

Absolutely. On both :) You are allowed an opinion goodness and no - don't blindly follow. We are discussing this. And that is the fun of a forum :) You take what you want and leave the rest ;). As long as everyone is polite no harm in that at all is there?

I do think its wise to take note of other people's experiences with bubble eyes even though you have kept them before. Your previous success was lucky but if you hang around kokos diagnosis forums for 5 years( like I have :o ) you may change your mind a little about just how delicate many bubbles can be -we have seen some very nasty accidents :(

Bare bubbly tanks can look great with rock/waterfall type wallpaper at the back IMO. But yes, in the end, you will decide for yourself and do what you will do :)

OK but got to ask. Why ask for advice if your going to do what you want to do anyways?

I don't see giving advice as being harsh.

I was also wondering what happened to your previous three? I had a couple but I was new to goldfish keeping and my tanks were not fully cycled and my intake was to strong and not protected,and sadly I lost both in a short period of time,I still miss them and would do their set up completely different now if I were to try again :)

OK but got to ask. Why ask for advice if your going to do what you want to do anyways?

I don't see giving advice as being harsh.

You see, this is what I'm talking about. You've clearly not read my posts. I've asked for advice, all of it I will consider, and from that, with my own knowledge, gut feeling and information from other sources, i will make the most informed decision I can.

I was also wondering what happened to your previous three? I had a couple but I was new to goldfish keeping and my tanks were not fully cycled and my intake was to strong and not protected,and sadly I lost both in a short period of time,I still miss them and would do their set up completely different now if I were to try again :)

The filter just stopped working whilst i was away. I came back to find them all dead. :( The worst thing was, that when i picked the filter up to look at it, i flicked it on the side and it sprang back to life.

I have read every word you typed!! I think something is getting lost in the transplantion cause does not sound that way to me at all.

What I am reading is everyone is wrong and your going to do it the way you have always done it instead of learning something new.