With Such Loving Results.. Why Are We Cloudy?

• Supporter

hi guys,

i decided over the weekend to clean my filters and this time i added crushed coral to assist with the forever dropping PH level as i have live plants in my tank.. i did rinse the coral in the old tank water which was only 4 days old.. would this be the problem..

here is a pic of my water params as of a few hours ago:

waterparams19710.jpg

any suggestions as to why we're running cloudy? the water was changed 50% saturday.. 2 days on, clean filters, pristine params and cloudy? i can't work it out :(

Did you change your filter floss? That usually sorts mine out...too many fine particles for the floss to catch as it's already saturated... I tend to just change my floss rather than rinsing it, it gets clumpy anyway and is cheap enough, and with the amount of sponge and ceramic stuff in the filter I've never had a cycle bump just changing the one layer of floss at the top.

• Supporter

no :(

i wasn't advised to :( this is still a learning game for me too :( and now it will have to wait till next month :(

but with so much gunk that came out of it, i am surprised to know that this may be the culprit.. when i rinsed it, it turned to white again.. like new.. but it wasn't clumpy or anything.. but i will keep this in mind for the next filter clean.

It's just the floss I change, not the sponge, just the stuff that's made up of strands squished into a sheet if you know what I mean, like non-squashed felt. It's usually right in the top of the filter. It might be if you washed it well that it'll be fine, you just need to leave it an hour so the particles can be sucked into the filter and trapped, it doesn't happen instantly. See what it's like tomorrow morning, it might be something else but that seems the simplest explanation to me, simple explanations are always the best place to start, otherwise my poor little brain gets confused :rofl

could it just be the crushed coral leaking??? I have never used it, but I would imagine it would give off a little powder - like hard water - in the beginning?

• Supporter

hi frederica,

i suspected this may be an issue before i added it.. so i took some water out from the tank first and put the coral in a strainer and really cleaned it quite well until i didn't see any more cloudiness. i dunno, perhaps it will take some time to settle in.. hopefully the clean filter pads will sort it out. it's day two now and i thought it would have cleared up by now.. but, unfortnately it hasn't.

i'm not too fussed as the params are perfect.. i am more curious. perhaps a good bactirea boom?

oh, i forgot to mention, i have two filters and in both filters i replaced half my ceramic rings that came with the jebo filter with the eheim ball like thingies.. could that have caused this to happen?

helen

• Admin

I would say its most likely cleaning the filter pads, doing the water change and adding Coral in all at the same time, this will change things and might make the tank alittle cloudy. If it doesnt straighten out in a few days then i say lets take a look and see whats going on hun :)

• Supporter

I would say its most likely cleaning the filter pads, doing the water change and adding Coral in all at the same time, this will change things and might make the tank alittle cloudy. If it doesnt straighten out in a few days then i say lets take a look and see whats going on hun :)

thanks koko :heart .. will let you all know how we progress..

I think it might be the crushed coral as I am having the same happen here as I rinsed my coral very well(so i thought) and yes my water has been cloudy the past few days too and the parims are all good ;)