Are Goldfish Getting Harder To Keep?

When my dad was younger, he had a goldfish. It was kept in a bowl, sometimes a bucket, which was cleaned once every few months and had no filter of any kind. It almost constantly had a long trail of poo hanging from its back side and once, when it got a bit ill, his mum poured in a bit of whisky in to perk it up. This fish lived for ten years and only passed on when his cousin came round and started kissing it! This is all the god's honest truth.

Nowadays, a goldfish would be lucky to last 10 days in those conditions. Are goldies getting harder to keep? Could it be the continual inbreeding? Or did my dad just have a super fish?

It's probably a combination of those.

Given that it was constantly trailing, it probably had some intestinal issues, but some goldfish are simply strong enough to cope with it (which doesn't mean that it's a great situation for them - a dog can also cope with living in a 2 m? box, but that's not a happy dog you've got there). If it was cleaned only one every few months, it's likely that there would be plenty of algae in there. Compared to having a clean-up every months, that might even be preferably, but the algae possibly also functioned as a crude (but not quite efficient) filter.

All in all, it's possible for goldfish (or any other kind of animal) to survive living in less than optimal conditions, but it's just not very likely. That means that although most might not live long under such conditions, some might (only just) be able to cope with them enough to survive for a relatively long time.

Hope this answer is of some use :).

Cheers

Alain

Probably something like the few people that live past 80 smoking and drinking and eating fatty sausage...

Probably something like the few people that live past 80 smoking and drinking and eating fatty sausage...

Take out the smoking and I hope to be one of the lucky ones! :yeah:

Exactly! Like the 105-year-old guy who told the newspaper out here that he owes his long life to beer and cigarettes. rolleyes.gif

I bet your dad's fish was a common or comet, Pontosfan. They are much much hardier than the delicate (and, admittedly, deformed) fancies.

• Admin

Also try to remember comets/commons are truly more harder than the Fancy fish. Fancy Goldfish are more complicating that the common goldfish. :)

you would think that after sutch a long time having a goldfish he would of educated him self on keeping fish

Since I've noticed bettas getting much weaker genetically then when I kept them as a child, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Now, I'd like to know more about treating goldfish with whisky. No, I'm not saying I'll do this to my fish, I'm just curious.

you would think that after sutch a long time having a goldfish he would of educated him self on keeping fish

Why would he? The fish was doing very well as far as he could tell. Why would you read up on something when what he was doing was working?

Since I've noticed bettas getting much weaker genetically then when I kept them as a child, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Now, I'd like to know more about treating goldfish with whisky. No, I'm not saying I'll do this to my fish, I'm just curious.

Well, the result was that it was drunk for a two days (kept doing loop-de-loops) but after that he was fine; so in the long run - it worked!

I think you're right about being harder to keep now. Some 20 years ago I had a shubie that was kept in a 2 gal bowl with irregular cleaning and he lived just fine for about nine years. He was never sick, always appeared to be in good health with a good appetite. He didn't have any algae in there either. But nowadays I'm lucky to have a common live one year before they up and die. And I have a nice filtered 30 gal tank with big weekly cleanings--go figure!!

I don't think they are getting harder to keep. I think we are just learning how to correctly care for them so that they live longer and back then people just didn't know any better.

And I am so glad as humans we can improve what we know for the better and not get stuck with something just cause it works. If we all believed that we would not have better running cars, planes, farms, ect....

I do think it's very possible that they're getting harder to keep. Goldfish are being mass produced and certain genetic traits are being selected for, likely at the cost of other traits that would make them more hardy. The same goes for a lot of animals, like dogs. If you look at certain purebreds now compared to their appearance 50 or 60 years ago there is a huge difference because of extreme selective breeding.

Of course I'm not sure if this is the case with fish, but it does seem like a likely scenario.

I think another factor will be the increased number of chemicals in tapwater and food, contact with chemicals is in modern times often unavoidable, but it certainly has an effect. Messed up genetics probably play the biggest part, look at the trouble I'm having getting Admiral TT to not be upside down on the bottom of the tank. He's a tiku pearlie and as genetically inbred as they get, Red is a pearlscale crossed with an oranda to give them the crown but it also gives him much longer fins and tail which make him more stable, and a more elongated body which gives him better buoyancy and less internal problems because his innards are not in the same ridiculous knots. As a result Red is hardier than Addie, Mariko will be hardier than Red because she doesn't have any pearlscale messups, and my minnows will be hardier than Mariko because while they might be inbred, they're not selected for recessive traits and mutations so they're much more stable.

Why would he? The fish was doing very well as far as he could tell. Why would you read up on something when what he was doing was working?

how do you know it was working he could of had a very sad life i have a westie dog that gets on fine but i still educate myself about them.

how do you know it was working he could of had a very sad life i have a westie dog that gets on fine but i still educate myself about them.

Yeah, you've missed the key phrase there: "as far as he could tell". :rolleyes:

Yeah, you've missed the key phrase there: "as far as he could tell". rolleyes.gif

the other key phrase is "what he was doing was working"

Yeah, you've missed the key phrase there: "as far as he could tell". rolleyes.gif

the other key phrase is "what he was doing was working"

Exactly.

Goldfish are being mass produced and certain genetic traits are being selected for, likely at the cost of other traits that would make them more hardy. The same goes for a lot of animals, like dogs. If you look at certain purebreds now compared to their appearance 50 or 60 years ago there is a huge difference because of extreme selective breeding.

GOOD POINT!!!! You're sooo right! Even if it can't be blamed fully I'm SURE that has something to do with it. Exactly like dogs! The more people breeding, especially less experienced, the greater the chance of them just mixing ANY goldfish and getting some babies but not neccessarily the cream of the crop. Then it continues! I would have never thought of it that way, but I'm sure that factors in. Like puppy mills, only goldfish mills? LOL