Filter Pads

I've had my Aqueon 55 gallon filter since April and the filter pads are quite brown, now that the tank is cycled I was wondering if I needed to replace them one by one as I have an Aquaclear 70 too. Should I just leave the filter pads alone or should I replace them? If so, how often do they need to be replaced? I have swished them in a bucket of tank water once before to get off any loose debris.

Here's an article that may be of some help....

-Dennis

The manufacturer of the Aqueon recommends replacing the cartrige once per month.

However . . .

In the real world, cartridge replacement depends solely on how well you cycle your tank,

how heavily planted it is and what types of livestock you plan to keep.

For example, your tank stocked with tropical fish would have a very low bioload, and very low polution. The same tank stocked with goldfish, notoriously messy fish hence the high bioload, would have to have the

cartridge changed more often.

My recommendation is when you do your weekly water change, remove the cartridge

and swish it in the tank water you just drained before you toss the tank water.

That will extend the life of the cartridge.

Never clean your cartridge or any other filter media [from other types of filters]

under running tap water, especially if you live in the city. The chlorine and chlorimides

will kill your valuable beneficial bacteria, defeating all the hard work you did in cycling your media.

Another thing to watch for is densely packed clusters of small bubbles along the sides of the tank,

near the intake at the water line and so forth as well as an oily looking surface. These are

signs of protein build-up from dead fish scales and most often left over fish food you probably

could not see. These conditions are a sign your filter media needs to be swished in some drained

tank water.

Finally, in a densely planted tank, decaying plant material can get sucked up in the intake tube

and clog the filter media. Needle leaf plants are most often the culprit. Broad leaf plants show

decay that is much easier to see just by eyeballing your tanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my own personal opinion, I run my filter pads as long as possible by rinsing them as mentioned above. Some filter pads are kept by some and reused until they actually fall apart. If you notice a reduction in water flow or even a spike in ammonia or nitrites then it's definitely time to replace. I only replace filter media one at a time, never both filters at the same time. Better safe than sorry.

:exactly I'm one of the ones who does like Dennis said. I rinse mine in old tank water until they literally fall apart. :rolleyes: I've been in this hobby almost 4 years now and I've never replaced any sponges in my filter except in my qt tank. :D

Thank you both very much :) That was very informative and very helpful. I'll definitely do a swish at every water change. That's good news as it's money saving as well. Thank you guys so much for the info. :D

I'd like to second what has already been said above. We do a water change one a week for our 70 gal tank, which has 1 internal and 2 external filters. Typically, with every water change on of the filters is also cleaned, which included swishing and squeezing the sponge a couple of times. Because we sometimes don't have the time to include a filter cleaning when doing a water chance, generally each filter is cleaned one every month. From what I've heard, that also what many (or at least several) other from other people on the forum do.

Dennis' info was awesome! :exactly

I'd like to second what has already been said above. We do a water change one a week for our 70 gal tank, which has 1 internal and 2 external filters. Typically, with every water change on of the filters is also cleaned, which included swishing and squeezing the sponge a couple of times. Because we sometimes don't have the time to include a filter cleaning when doing a water chance, generally each filter is cleaned one every month. From what I've heard, that also what many (or at least several) other from other people on the forum do.

This is exactly what I do also!!! Weekly swish/rinse, monthly filter cleaning.. I'm broke so replacing the filter cartridges monthly for all the tanks is NOT an option.. Once in a while I do cave and get new ones when they are pretty ragged, or on my favorite tank sometimes I get new ones more often. Sometimes when I do, I still pull off the foam or padding part and shove it back in the filter WITH the new cartrdige so there is less chance of loss of BB's..

Thanks for all the info above as I am new to this wonderful hobby of Goldfish keeping,just coming up to my year mark and loving it,I currently have only one filter on each of my tanks with the 10x gph recommended... what do I do when that filter pad falls apart?and what about the fact that my filter pads (came with filter)contain carbon???I will be moving in a few weeks and was planning on my yearly strip down...how do I do this with out losing my cycle??Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

• Admin

Easy I have a penguin filter system, I dont use the filter pads that are supposed to go with them, I use Filter floss and put that in there, I rinse them off until they fall apart or are just so dirty they dont work.

As for cleaning a tank as long as you keep the filter pads, bio wheels and some gravel nice and wet while you take down the tank, it should recycle in ease. You might have a slight cycle bump but not much :)

http://www.aquariumguys.com/polyesterfloss.html

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18430/si1383416/cl0/coralifepureflofilterpad18x24

I have 3 Aquaclear 110s & up to this week haven't had to replace a sponge. I just rinse & squeeze & put it back! (The only reason I had to replace this one was that I had a really bad incident in my tank & was worried that some REALLY bad bacteria was in there so I "BLEACH BOMBED" that tank!! I chunked the ceramic thingees & the sponge. I put a used sponge in with the new ceramic thingees & the tank is good to go!!

Actually it felt weird to throw them away!!!

I haven't used floss in a long time. What it does it really polish the water, right? Since all my filters are Aquaclear 110s...........where would I put it. I place the sponge on the bottom & the ceramic thngees in a mesh bag on top. Would it go above or below the ceramic thingees? Would I put it in a mesh bad as well?

Edited by Jeana727

Loose floss at the top then the ceramic bag in the middle and the bio sponge on the bottom. The idea being the floss gets the big stuff so the other media doesn't get blocked up which will keep them from working as well.

-Dennis

• Admin

I just love using the filter floss or pads cause man, they are so much cheaper and you dont need the carbon all the time :) Saves money and I know everyone can need some extra cash :lol