Goldfish And Bn's?

I noticed on your link about compatible fish with goldfish, you have bristlenose plecos listed. I was just wondering about that. I have 3 in QT at the moment. (I only wanted two, but one got in the filter and I didn't know about it, so I got another one and then found the one in the filter!) I had planned to put one in my betta tank, but its only a 10 gal tank and probably too small for a BN. Anyway, since I have an extra BN I was wondering about putting one in the goldie tank? Isn't the water too cool for a BN? It would be great if I could put one in the goldie tank, but just wanted to check.

Same experience with Jeana. They coexist just fine provided you have adequate space and foods for both. Female BN are much more passive than males in general. BN plecos will be fine to as low as 72 degrees.

I don't think you'll have any problems day-to-day, but if you do get any sick fish I would recommend QTing them, BN's have been known to snack on a dead or dying goldie (see the obituaries, the fish went into the BN cave to rest while sick) but they won't go for a sleeping goldie as far as I'm aware. There have been cases of goldies trying to eat other goldies with finrot or similar as the rotting smells like food, which is why I think the BN's would only be a problem with sick fish. These situations are very very unusual, but you should probably still be aware of them :) They are exceptions and shouldn't be taken as 'I'm not putting that in my tank!', I've never kept them myself but plenty of members here do without any issues at all even after a number of years.

I have a female BN never been a problem for my goldfish. Even when they pass away she has never bothered them. I do make sure she gets plenty to eat.

I TRY to get a little gel food where the BN plecos are....they'll gobble it up IF a goldie doesn't beat them to it! But there's plenty of algae on different things in the tank & they are ALWAYS busy & ALWAYS have a very green tummies! (Mine are albino)

Mine is an albino too. But no green belly. I try to give her stuff besides just green stuff. She really like the sinking shrimp pellets I put in after lights out.

• Admin

Most of the time these fish if they have the right environment wont cause harm, but the key thing is to make sure they do. they like plants, logs, and algae..... if you dont they could try to go after them, over all they are the best pleco to put with goldfish...

Me personally dont have any other fish with my goldfish, but this is my choice :)

I keep albino bn pleocs with my goldfish and they also do fine :) , just be careful if any goldfish are sick or weak, because two of my bn plecos killed my oranda that had sbd when it went into the pleco hang out :(

Edited by Shamu23

I had an albino sail fin with mine not too long ago. Had to get rid of him, as he started attacking the goldfish. Never had a problem with the bristle nose though.

I guess mine always have green bellies because the main thing I feed is MAzuri & the formula right now is green based. PLUS they are ALWAYS munching on algae! (They also like the ProGold pellets!)