Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Fishless Cycle

Yeah when I did a fishless cycle it took way longer than 10 days to see nitrites :( It was a painfully slow process.

Thanx Sakura! I was already thinking that I had 'non cyclable' water...! :aint:

That stuff should give you alittle bit of a boost. i have used "cycle" in the past when my cycle got lost and it helped it recover fast :)

Oh no,not cycless-just interminably looooooooooooooooooong :doh11: I just kept reading old posts that said it WILL eventually happen,BUT it was not soon enough for me :blink: I too was under the gun Federica,Ken was holding 10 fish for me and was very anxious to free up the space in his holding tanks :undecided: OMG,it felt like SOOOOOOOOOO much pressure each time I tested and STILL NOTHING!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :krazy: But it did finely cycle :bingo: It was this post by Daryl that I kept reading

Group:M

Referred By:internet search

How many Goldfish:Far too many to count

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

Let's go back and look at fishless cycling just a tiny bit, here. You add in a certain amount of ammonia and just leave the tank until the first type of beneficial bacteria starts processing the ammonia into nitrite. At that time, the ammonia drops and the nitrite rises. Then you need to add in a small amount of ammonia each day to "feed" this first type of beneficial bacteria while you wait for the second type of beneficial bacteria to grow and start to process the nitrite into nitrate.

When you start to get a population of the second type of beneficial bacteria, you will start to get nitrate readings. But until the population grows large enough to process ALL the nitrite that is in the tank each day (zero reading) you are not completely cycled. Since you have a regular reading of zero ammonia, some nitrite and some nitrate, you have almost accomplished your cycle. It is within a very short time when you will be completely there - and ready for fish.

You do, however, need to keep feeding the bacteria with ammonia each and every day - just as having a fish in the tank would do. Putting in only a very small amount of ammonia each day will feed only a very small population of beneficial bacteria - both types. Putting in a larger amount of ammonia (the equivilant of at least 1ppm when you add it) will grow a larger population of beneficial bacteria. They grow to as large a population as the amount of food will support. This is why, if you cycle a tank only using a small tropical or so, the cycle will not be "big" enough to support even one single goldie.

You do not need to change the water at this time. You have no fish in there. You do not need to add Prime or Amquel. You do not have any fish in there to protect from the ammonia or the nitrites. Just leave the tank alone and feed it clear ammonia each day. Add in enough that it will read at least 1ppm after the addition. (no more than 2ppm) As a rule of thumb....1 ppm per day is approxmiately equal to the waste of one adult goldfish.

Continue to test your water. When you see that the ammonia is zero each day before the addition, the nitrites is zero each day, then you are cycled. Typically, I run the tank a bit longer, just adding in ammonia and testing. When the cycle has solidly held at zero/zero each day before addition then you are ready to do a water change.

Change out a HUGE percentage of your water, for the nitrates will be very high. IT has not mattered up to this point what they were - for you had no fish in there to worry about. Now that you are about to add in fish, you need to lower the nitrates to a reasonable level. I like to aim at 10ppm or less. This may mean changing out almost 100% of the water at this time. That is fine. The water holds no beneficial bacteria. Just change the water - leave the filter and media strictly alone.

When you first add in your fish, it is very very wise to test your water each day. The fish may create more waste than your cycle is capable of processing each day, depending on how much ammonia you added, the way you feed your fish, the size of the fish, etc. Change out the water - or use Prime at this time - to help control this bounce in parameters for a bit. Do not worry. The population of beneifical bacteria will grow very quickly to process the "food" it is offered. (If you feed them, they will come!)

So:

1. Continue to add ammonia to the level of 1-2 ppm each day.

2. Do not change the water at this time.

3. Do not add Prime at this time - it would be a waste.

4. Continue adding ammonia and testing until the ammonia and nitrite read zero for several days.

5. Change out the amount of water necessary to bring the nitrates down to under 10ppm.

6. Add fish and test each day - treating as needed to keep the water parameters well until the cycle balances out.

Enjoy your cycled

That helped me to get through it,and not lose my mind :wall

Thanx Susan! Could I be over feeding the bacteria? I have about 3-4ppm ammonia. And Daryl says 2..!

I love Daryl's posts! :nana I sure do miss her on the forum. :undecided:

I do think I was over feeding mine,and ended up doing like 2 60% w/cs to get the ammo down.BUT,also,the guy who set my tank up used r/o water,and it turns out you either can't or shouldn't cycle w/ r/o. It seems to me that I may have been reading another post too that said IT WILL HAPPEN :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall I'll see if I can find it.......

Should I just leave it at 4 then?

Ok,here is another 1 by her:

Goldfish Collector

Group:M

Referred By:internet search

How many Goldfish:Far too many to count

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:46 AM

A fishless cycle is simply the process of encouraging a colony of beneficial bacteria to grow where you want them - in most cases, in or on the media of a filter. A betta still needs some sort of filtration, so will want to build this platform in the filter you intend to use.

Fill the tank with water, conditioned and prepped as if you were going to put the fish in... but do not put the fish in.

Set the filter up and set it going. Make sure there is some sort of "media" in the filter for the beneficial bacteria to grow upon. This can be a sponge, floss, sintered glass, biowheel, lava rock, etc. Ideally, it should not be the same stuff that is used for mechanical filtering - for if you replace it when it gets dirty, you lose your BB. I realize that in smaller filters, this is usually the case - so try to have something you do not need to replace often - something you can rinse clean in used fish water.....

Now, the BB want to eat. If you do not feed them, they cannot grow. So you must feed them. You feed them ammonia - the same thing that fish produce. You can find ammonia in many groceries and sundrie stores - you want CLEAR ammonia - no perfumes, no soaps, so "sudsing", no additives. To feed your growing BB you will need to add in the ammonia to the tank just like you were a fish. A single betta does not produce too much waste - but for the sake of a speedy cycle, it is best to add in enough ammonia to bring the concentration to 2ppm or so.

Now you wait. And wait. And WAIT. Do not do anything else, but test the water. In a while - it may be 1 week, it may be 4 weeks - you will see nitrites appear. As the nitrites appear, you will want to test your ammonia each day, too. As the ammonia level drops, add in a drop or two more each day to keep feeding the BB.

After a while longer, you will see nitrate appear. When you can add in a few drops of ammonia each day and each day the BB process that ammonia through to nitrate - so that there is zero ammonia and zero nitrite in your tank before you add anything new, you have cycled your tank.

That is when you need to do a MASSIVE water change to remove the high nitrates that have collected. Leave your filter media alone. Fill and condition the tank and add the fish. Since your cycle was grown on ammonia and not on the actual ammonia production of your fish, you may or may not find that the number of BB that live there are sufficiant in numbers to process all the waste of the fish - at least at first. Keep testing for a bit until you see the balance of the tank settle out.

Happy Betta Tank!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Answers: $1.00

Answers which require Thought: $2.00

Correct Answers: $4.00

Dumb Looks are still Free.

Based on what she says here,4 may be a little high-you decide............ :exactly

Water change, here I come... Boyfriend is going to KILL me!!!

What he doesn't know won't hurt you! :donthit::bingo::tomuch:

IF it makes you feel any better,mine was testing at an 8 before I brought it down!!!!!!! :doh11: And I think the only reason it didn't test higher was that;s as high as the test goes! :blink: But I think that also had to do w/ the r/o water :hummm Just tell BF,you wanted to give those 1st bac some steroids :flex::teehee

I did it with a pitcher as boyfriend prefers to 'wait 6months than to do w/c' :rolleyes:

I also had 8 ppm the first few days!!! Sorta got excited on using my 'illegal ammonia'!!! Ahahahahah!

OHHH I got a couple of bottles of the Sera 'magic' liquid Koko suggested! I DID empty en entire bottle in the filters (even if it said it was for 2000 liters)! whatever, I am desperate!

:krazy:

Tomorrow will be the moment of the truth!!! Come on Nitrites!!! (in a few days I will hopefully be yelling GO AWAY nitrites!!!)

come on Nitrites.... WHOOOT... Go! Go! :panana

Guys, we've got a CLOUDY tank!!!!!!! I am going to test it! CMON!!!!!

NOTHING..... tester is still blue - maybe less bright blue - but still blue.... uffff... and ammonia is still 2.

do I need to create much splash for the bacteria?

cloudy should mean the bb's are looking for a home...so wait a little bit and see if it clears up. it took my tank overnight to clear up. they don't need splash, as the water will carry the oxygen then need through the filter I believe.

I retested - bacteria STILL hasn't found a home! The tank now is totally opaque.... Impossible to see the wall hehe. I have an army of bacteria in there! If only they would start doing their job!!!

Patience grasshopper! It will happen, but it just takes time! It helps if you don't test it for a few days, just let it sit and try to forget about it. Testing it constantly just makes it harder to be patient and makes the progress seem slower. :)

I am going to forget about it! (or at least try!) :)

Patience grasshopper! It will happen, but it just takes time! It helps if you don't test it for a few days, just let it sit and try to forget about it. Testing it constantly just makes it harder to be patient and makes the progress seem slower. :)

Excellent advice :yeah:;)

If you wish it, it will happen... Let those BB's find there home hun, there trying :lol

cloudy at this point is good WHOOOT!!

I think I am growing the BIGGEST bacteria army EVER! The tank is STILL totally cloudy :rofl

with so much bb, one would expect a superman cycle on it's way sometime soon.. LOL