How Easy Are Nano-Tanks To Transport?

devilduck

Basically it looks like I'm going to be better off financially when I start uni than I was expecting, and it looks like I'll have the money to setup a 10 gallon nano reef like I'd originally hoped to and then abandoned.

I definately wouldn't be looking to start it until October when I've moved into my new house, and I will then be there until probably early July (9 months basically) and would like to set up the tank while I'm at uni. Thing is, in July I will be moving again and will likely be in a more permanent residence. How difficult is it going to be for me to move the tank? It'll most likely be about 3 hours car journey away and I know everything has to be kept in buckets with water which would be a bit of a pain.

I want to setup with some live rock and sand, some soft corals, a few critters and maybe 1-2 small fish like gobies and 1 clown fish but that's very dependent on more research. I might go with shrimp instead. TBC. It'll be a slow process as I accumulate things and I might not even have the fish by the time I move, just the corals and some rock or something. I'm intending to take it slow and haven't looked into it too seriously yet.

I just want an idea of whether it's feasible and I can start looking for a second hand marine tank and some gear or if I should put the brakes on the idea now and shelf it until next summer. I don't know how disruptive moving the whole thing would be. 10 gallons isn't that much but still too heavy for me to move full, I have a hard enough time with my 6 gallon when it's not full of giant chunks of rock!!! I know the stuff transports, I can buy corals and LR in Manchester and that's nowhere near any reefs!

• Admin

Moving Salt water tanks are much harder than Goldfish. You got to keep the rocks wet, and the coral and plants. Me personally wouldnt set it up till you know you got a solid spot to set it up and not move it.

When i had to switch from my 10 gall nano to a 45 gal tank and it was in the same house, it took me about a good 4 hours to get it all together. It wasnt fun :lol

Me I would look for the tank, filter and all the out side stuff but not set it up :)

That was my thought this morning, that or maybe just go with FOWLR so there's not as much to move, with a small tank I shouldn't have more than 2-3 biggish lumps of LR. The other thing that occured to me this morning is I'll probably be moving into a studio flat and I already have 3 tanks all of which will need electrical sockets in various numbers + my computer etc etc etc so I might not have power for one for another year anyway!

That was my thought this morning, that or maybe just go with FOWLR so there's not as much to move, with a small tank I shouldn't have more than 2-3 biggish lumps of LR. The other thing that occured to me this morning is I'll probably be moving into a studio flat and I already have 3 tanks all of which will need electrical sockets in various numbers + my computer etc etc etc so I might not have power for one for another year anyway!

Ah yes electrical sockets! Plan those very well because reef tanks use a lot more equipment so you need lots of sockets. My 29 gal uses: 1 canister filter; 1 110 Aquaclear transformed into a fuge; 1 light for the fuge; 2 sockets for the main tank light; 1 heater; 2 Koralia circulation pumps.

Then if you mix your own salt water (it's cheaper) you need to be able to plug in another circulation pump in the pail and leave it to mix all night or 24 hours. This gives allows the water to stabilize. This extended time is connected to gas exchange and the chemical reactions going on in the water between the various salts and the gases in the surrounding air.

Not to discourage you or anything. :rolleyes:

This idea has been shelved again. By the time I go back to uni in October I'll be in my 7th house in 3 years, with addresses in Guildford, Manchester, Marske, Thornaby and Newcastle, all up and down the country, I don't think I live a marine friendly life right now. When I finish uni I'm likely to be more settled in probably Newcastle/Gateshead for a few years at least and that might be the time to start thinking about it more. It's bad enough moving all the goldfish around...

Isn't it hard to be grown up? I do admire you for your practical thinking. I could have gotten a bigger tank [65 gallon-more goldies!] but realized while it was a nice dream, it wasn't good for the floor of my two hundred year old house. Oh well. We have to have limits sometimes. Good for you, Devilduck.

Being grown-up is a pain :( Sometimes I just wish I could be irresponsible and go 'stuff it, I'm going to get it anyway, I'll sort out affording it later' but I think the angel on my shoulder stole the pitchfork off the devil and uses it to stab me into behaving myself cry2.gif I occasionally get things anyway, but it's usually small things I can afford anyway, just don't really need and now might not be the best time to get them.

• Admin

I will never grow up, I have to much fun just being me.... Your only as old as you feel and want to be.....

Oh crude the responsibility part that sucks :lol2

• 1 year later...

Whatever you go with what I will recommend is this salt:

http://www.marinedepot.com/D_D_H2Ocean_Magnesium_Pro_PLUS_Salt_Mix_Salt_Mix_for_Aquarium_Water-D_D_H2Ocean-DD2211-FISM-vi.html

It is the best salt I have ever used. Leaves 0 residue when you let it sit for 24 hours and the parameters are exact.