Shrimp?:s

Pontosfan

I was in Pets at Home (twice) yesterday, and was looking at the bettas. The fish, in their little compartments, had shrimp in with them! A few with each betta. At least, I think they were shrimp. They were see through as well. Anyway, my initial reaction was to question the wiseness of this. WOuldn't the shrimp (i keep wanting to say shrimps XD ) nip the bettas fins? But they seemed fine together. Do other people have shrimp with their betta? Is it encouraged?

I was in Pets at Home (twice) yesterday, and was looking at the bettas. The fish, in their little compartments, had shrimp in with them! A few with each betta. At least, I think they were shrimp. They were see through as well. Anyway, my initial reaction was to question the wiseness of this. WOuldn't the shrimp (i keep wanting to say shrimps XD ) nip the bettas fins? But they seemed fine together. Do other people have shrimp with their betta? Is it encouraged?

I would be tempted to say the shrimp are more in danger then the betta. I've often heard of bettas eating the shrimp which makes for an expensive snack. :D

I have cherry shrimp in with my betta Razz. I've seen him chase one every once in a while but I've never seen him eat one. However, my tank is well planted so the shrimp can hide.

A well planted tank is usually best if you attempt to combine both shrimps and bettas. No issues with combining ghost or bamboo shrimps with bettas in my experience but cherries and crystals may likely get picked on unless they have enough refuge to avoid being eaten.

The shrimp will eat flakes or food debris that goes to the bottom. Supposedly they live off of plant debris too. I think real plants would be better but they'd probably do ok with fake (I don't know that for sure). As for the betta I believe you should probably be feeding it a betta specific diet.