Today I Went To My Favorite Lfs And.....

Went down today and picked up a Rena SmartHeater for my 20 gal tropical tank and also got a nice Skunk Cory Cat for my tropical herd. Also picked up a bag of Hikari Bottom Feeder wafers for the Cory group. I wanted Panda Corys but none to be found. Took a look around the teles tanks, they had some Sarassa Teles, some small Black Moors, and they weren't in too good of shape.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard those Rena heaters are one of the best money can buy!

They're comparable in price to others at the LFS, Sakura, and truthfully I'm going to stay with them from now on. ;)

The far left two bunches are anacharis. These are fast-growing, but goldfish normally like to make a snack out of these! Maybe your fish won't realize it's edible, and he'll leave it alone. You can actually tie anacharis to a rock if you want, because I find it does better when it's not buried. The middle one looks like some type of ludwiga. These are high light requiring plants I believe, and are difficult to keep alive. The last type looks like it may be some type of sword. I didn't have any luck with those types, but some people do. They will do best if you can get some root feeder tablets to bury in the gravel near their roots. The ludwiga and sword will do best if you don't disturb the roots too often, which is honestly difficult in a goldfish tank where you have to be siphoning the gravel very thoroughly every week.

thanks fruitde loop .love your name

use it everywhere, nickname because I never leave to go anywhere without a packet of fruitloops in my pocket lol

Last trip to my lfs I bought some fake plants (there weren't any good real ones >.>) a background, and 5 glowlight tetras for my tropical tank. (The tetras have now been reduced to four, as number five died under mysterious circumstances :( )

And I also stared at a 55 gallon tank, baby orandas, baby moors, baby koi, young shubunkins and a REALLY lovely baby orange and black calico fantail.

None of which I have any room for *sigh*

Edited by EGJ

I went to my lfs, and drooled at all the fish. I bought some sinking spirulina pellets for Fluffy when I go out of town this week, and a small Anubius plant attached to a rock.

It was my first visit to this little independent shop that has rave reviews on Yelp. It's down a dark alley in a bad part of town, so I was a bit nervous getting there. Inside, it was great! The people are friendly and helpful and they have a great selection of fish, plants and equipment. Besides the gf and tropicals, they have some really happy looking bettas. I was very impressed and will brave the bad neighborhood again soon.

So I went to my local petsm@rt and bought one bunch each of corkscrew vals and moneywort. Their plants are always snail infested but pretty healthy. There goldfish looked pretty decent- only one sick fish (crooked spine) in the fancy tank and several bottom sitting fish in the feeder tank. No dead fish in any of the tanks. They were pretty active, too. The lady that works there is knowledgeable about fish, which is nice :) I guess you can't blame them for a few sick fish, after all the stress of shipping is going to take a toll.

... and saw "stuff" for Dennis.

A preeeetty all white Telescope. Her tailfins were joined but that actually looked really good on her. She was matte on the back, and the scales on the sides were metallic. She had a very nice shape overall, this one looks very much like her, except for the color, of course. http://exoticgoldfis...-telescope4.jpg

And then they had this funny Black Moor. He had really short fins, especially his tail. His tail looked like a Lionhead's tail, I wonder if he was a cross. He cracked me up, I've never seen such a funny and silly looking goldfish in person :D

The only thing I did not like was that the breeder must have sent a stunted fish. This fish was definitely new, a calico ryukin.

He was adorable, but the eyes and fins were so out of proportion big... the fish already had a very pronounced hump for a LFS ryukin, and a deep body. But the fish itself was so tiny, its body maybe an inch. Poor thing.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

... and saw "stuff" for Dennis.

A preeeetty all white Telescope. Her tailfins were joined but that actually looked really good on her. She was matte on the back, and the scales on the sides were metallic. She had a very nice shape overall, this one looks very much like her, except for the color, of course. http://exoticgoldfish.net/images/pic%20-%20breeds-telescope4.jpg

And then they had this funny Black Moor. He had really short fins, especially his tail. His tail looked like a Lionhead's tail, I wonder if he was a cross. He cracked me up, I've never seen such a funny and silly looking goldfish in person :D

Fang, you need to go get those two telescopes! (for you)! ;)

Right, after Dennis sends me another goldfish tank for Christmas ;)

They were cute, but didn't give me that GET MEEEE vibe, although the white telescope was cute. I more wished that YOU would be there so I could show you and talk you into buying them for yourself :D

They'd fit so well in your collection :D

Right, after Dennis sends me another goldfish tank for Christmas ;)

They were cute, but didn't give me that GET MEEEE vibe, although the white telescope was cute. I more wished that YOU would be there so I could show you and talk you into buying them for yourself :D

They'd fit so well in your collection :D

Darn it Fang, if you didn't live so far away I'd be there to get those two telescopes....BUT, since I'm not, I had to go to my LFS and pick up two new telescopes, Patch and Bat. (Pictures will be forthcoming).

I also returned my crappy Tetra 100w heater for a Rena SmartHeater 100w to use as a backup. I love those things. Also got a couple of check valves, a couple of plants for my tropical tank, and a hanging thermometer. Pretty good score today! ;)

Edited by blackteles

Went to get some more Tiger Barbs. They had a tank full of baby TBs, probably FIFTY (or more) in the tank. And when the net went in they moved pretty much together......like LIGHTNING!! The whole group ZOOMED back & forth. I told the guy I wanted 5....then I acted like I was picking them out one at a time. He kinda gave me the ole' stinkeye!! LOL!! I laughed & told him to scoop out 5. After quite a bit of net chasing he ended up with six & was trying to remove one. I said that it was okay!! He was a very good attendant....both helpful & funny!

I got a new check valve and a satin plant for my betta! I think I really do need blinkers like horses have seeing as though last time we went in to get some new gravel we ended up purchasing a gigantic new Aquarium that was the "last one left" on special and a whole bunch of Aquarium related things...

... bought a humongous bag of gravel for the tropical tank.

As always I checked out the goldis, and they got some new orandas in. Decent size for 5.99.

Three of them caught my eye (DARN YOU, LACK OF ROOM!!!), they were about 4 or 5 inches long, hat a nice wen going on.

One was bronze but had a strong green tint to it. I'm sure he will change color. He was the smallest one of the three that I liked most.

Then there was a blue one, very nice looking fish! I love blue orandas! This one was my second favorite, only topped by...

The big, all white oranda. Even Steven said that this fish looked awesome. I honestly can't remember now if he was metallic or matte, but he looked amazing.

Oh and Dennis, the small white telescope is still there :D