Today I Went To My Favorite Lfs And.....

I went to one within a shopping center yesterday. Bought a API master testing kit and some water conditioner. Had a look at the goldfish too. At this time, the shop assisstant was trying to convince me to buy one of the pearlscales they had in there. I kind of ignored her :oops:

Poor things, more than 20 of them crammed in a small tank that was half filled with ornaments. They were so weak, they could barely keep up with the current. I did see a butterfly telescope in there. It was a sad sight, it had damaged scales and a battered dorsal, if I hadn't been desperate for some water conditioner I would've walked right out.

Today my dad went to the lfs to buy some filter media and Hikari Lionhead. I couldn't go so I asked him to ask the workers a couple of questions on installing a new filter in an already established tank. The guy said to my dad that I was worrying and overcomplicating it too much and that it was as simple as running the new filter in the old tank water. Apparently he added, that if I wanted, I could go in an get fish keeping lessons from him. The last time I was there, I was worried about the ammonia levels in my tank. The same guy didn't see any reason for ammonia being present but I bought the test anyway. Turns out, my ammonia was sky high. So it's official, my name in that store will shall be "The Paranoid Daughter".

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well on Thursday I got paid, and having no bills due, I had full intentions of getting myself in trouble :P I went to three new lfs that I had just heard about. One had a small selection of goldies, nothing fancy. The second had a 50 gallon hex tank filled with headstanding orandas. I had to run out of there before offending the owner, an elderly man. And the third had no goldies at all but the best price on Prime so I bought another liter for only $20! Then still on a mission, I went to my favorite lfs and found my three new orandas. One was headstanding and since the owner knows me all too well he gave him to me for free. I also bought two other beauties :ehh

Next up...Filters!

At least your paranoia turns out to be right :) It could be entertaining to see what their fish keeping lessons are like and how bad they are :rofl

I went to my LFS and came home with a dilemma. Scallywags.

Sarah, did you get that big black oranda?!

Today someone else brought me home a bunch of stuff from a lfs..

a male crowntail betta :D, betta food, API Proper PH powder,a drop ammonia test kit, a feeding ring and a package of airstones :D:)

I was thoroughly disgusted. Poor little goldies floating and dead. Looked like they were shutting down the tanks.

So much for the this board making me think about new fish. It must be a sign.

Now online at Big Al's looking at filters.

We went to our local big box pet store and saw the little gal who always helps us as usual. She had never heard of using salt and heat to cure ich. Well, yesterday she told me she now tells all of her customers going home with new goldies about my "salt trick". Hee hee!

I told her to be sure and tell them about Koko's.

bigsmile.gif

I used to work at a place like that and my managers were extremely angry with my for referring customers to this site. According to the store policy, you can't give advice that's not taken directly from the store handbook... which barely has any information. So I quit! :booty

This was a few weeks ago, but I stopped by a store I go to when I'm in Pasadena. They get in some amazing goldies and I bought probably my favorite fish there (a speckled black and red lionhead). Unfortuantely, that fish sparked off my ulcer disease issues. Since that time I always stop to check in, but haven't decided if I would buy from them again. This time they had lots of selection, but so many sick fish. A lot laying around, upside down and a whole tank of extremely cute panda teles that were full of ich. When I mentioned that I liked them but they were all sick, they said look in the tank below and see if I could find one that wasn't sick. Ugh!

The worst part was when I looked in one of the tanks with large fish. The water was really cloudy, but I finally got a glimpse of a softball sized ryukin that swam by. His skin was peeling off all over and he was covered in blisters. He looked like he had been boiled. When I asked what happened the owner said it was a screw up and he got burned. I know I have accidentally run too cold or too hot of water out of my python at times which is why I always check it and I'm guessing that is what happened. But really there is no excuse for it...that is just terrible. I am glad they didn't put the fish down and he did seem to be healing, but it was one of the most painful sights I have ever seen and so sad. I won't buy from them again.

That's really sad Amy :( That poor ryukin :( This is one reason I like my buckets rather than a python, if I just run hot water in I'll notice way before it gets to the tank when I stick my hand in it to check the temp, and then it'll be me with the blisters! :o I wouldn't buy from them, waaaaay to risky :(

I'm waiting for my system to result in a sprained ankle one day. I test the water before I turn it on to pour in the tank and then I run as fast as I can to the tank and put my hand under the siphon to feel the water before it ever makes it into the tank. My sink is tempermental so on occasion it is too cold and then when I turn it to warmer it is too warm, but it could never burn a fish. You would literally have to have a massive screw up for that to happen. I wish I had room to take him and heal him up, but my QT is full and I am pretty paranoid about their fish now.

Stopped today at my local PetSm*rt and picked up a 29 gal tank and stand, 100 watt heater, a couple of bags of natural gravel, and some airline tubing. Have to get up early tomorrow and start building the stand and then it's on to the set up! ;)

I went to my favorite store to pick up some Aquaplus and I almost came home with a cute little orange and black fantail. The store had had a huge goldie order and this little fella was perfect. His body was a nice deep orange and his tail was black. Oh yeah and he wore black lipstick. :wub: :wub: I think I spent close to an hour watching him and the guy who works there kept asking if I wanted him, I kept saying yes I want him but I can't. :cry I mentioned that I hoped he wouldn't be sold to someone who would keep him in a bowl and the guy said if I wasn't taking him he was going to get him. He has a 150 gallon goldie tank and he says he keeps only 10 goldies in there. So this little guy will go to a good home, but I sure wish I could have brought him home. He would have looked awesome with Coquin and Hercules. :(

• Supporter

well.. i didn't go today, but i went yesterday. i've been having problems with 1 of my jebo canister filters not powering strong enough.. purchased this from one lfs.. i have also been having minor issues of recent with my jebo uv sterilizer.. purchased this from a different lfs..

so i had to do the run around.. now, none were helpful at all and i came home with the same products i left with.

highly frustrated, i cleaned the fark outta the filter and it's working like 80% better.. and i kicked the uv sterilizer once reinstalled and not working and it started again.

so now, thanks to my xena loulouloulouloulouloulou efforts.. my tank is 100% functional again!

pork chop was highly impressed!

I went to a different Pet-Smart than I normally go to and they must have had a new shipment of goldies, too. Lots of nice fancies--many with those long flowy tails I love so much. That is until I got to the lionhead tank. The short little tails weren't the problem though--they all had such deformed, lumpy, bumpy spines it was frightening! They could all swim/wiggle around ok but it just looked so bad and I felt sorry for them, you know?? Only one had the tucked tail going on but he was no prize, poor thing. I still wanted to get one though as I think ranchus and lionheads are just adorable but I am really more of a single tail type person. Plus we had other shopping to do before we could go home so no fishies today.

Well, let's see...I stopped at my LFS today and picked up a bonus pack of Nutrafin Cycle (50% free- BONUS!) and while I was there I happened to find my new Black Moor, Magoo. Pretty good day! ;)

^ :Congrats: Magoo is super cute

I went to visit 4 different fish shops yesterday.

The first one I went to sold goldfish for really cheap prices. My eyes lit up like a christmas tree. If ever I need restocking, I shall go there. They were selling goldfish around 6 inches for $12.50. It was pretty amazing, Crown pearlscales and celestials were going for around the same price as well. I saw a one eyed fantail there too. It literally only had one eyeball. The owner saw me looking at it, and told me how he had to separate it from the others because it was being bullied all time. He said that he wasn't going to sell it to anyone because he had gotten really attached to it and was planning to raise it at home. Poor thing, I was so glad that it was going to a good home :)

I went to a chain store next. One common had it's tail shredded right down to the base, the rest were either bottom sitting or gulping at the surface. Urgh, I got out of there quick.

Next was B & C Aquarium. It's now my favourite lfs. It's a bit on the pricey side, but I didn't mind seeing that all their fish was so healthy and the staff were so friendly. I got 2 Java ferns. Yay.

The last one wasn't much of a visit. The guy told us to come back tomorrow because he had to go somewhere that night.

Stu and I went to his LFS today and dreamed about giant pearlie tanks and marine tanks and guppy tanks and many other things :wub: We didn't buy anything though, they were sold out of what I wanted so I went to my old failsafe - ebay! I got 5m of airline hosing, 4 thermometers, 2 non-return check valves and 2 splitters for ?12 and free postage! Bargain!

I've been dreaming today of setting up something like this in clear glass with lots of plants as a naturally filtered tank for a few guppies to go on my desk, but I don't think I'll do anything about it until Chester's out of QT and Red's better if at all, I have enough tanks running atm and too many deadlines to look into it now!

I just took a break from studying to go get some new plants from Pet*Smart. I got the topfin kind that come packaged in a tube, I've had great success so far with these kind. I got a small anubias and a large anubias. This large anubias is different than the others I have (which are anubias nana), it's the kind with longer leaves and stems.

I also got a bottle of Prime

I also made $25 today selling a filter I've never used on CraigsList. :rockon