Sign in to follow this  
blackteles

Today I Went To My Favorite Lfs And.....

I got some new plants to try. I got rotala, anacharis and crypt parva. :)

Got some prime and 3 fishies yesterday :)

Went to the LFS to price things for my trip on friday. They had the two val types I was looking for and lots of anubias species to choose from so I'm pretty excited. they also have very cheap rocks so I may end up with one of those as well.

I went to the Pet Supermarket today and found they sold a couple Clown Plecos as Common Plecos for only $ 1.99 :lol

Guess what's in my QT now, together with a couple nice big water lettuces from the same store. :D

Guest nicole*

im currently on vacation but i went to there lfs just because i had an extreme urge to look at goldies (im guessing its due to the fact i miss mine?) but anyway so i walk into the petco and there is a tank FULL of bottom sitting comets and a tank with 3 orandas that had extreme fin rot! one barely had any fin left and was just squigling around it was truly heart breaking

I couldn't find this thread yesterday :(

But I was thinking it would be more like a rant :(

Went out of town about 50 miles the other day with plans on stopping by a few non chain pet shops (one in which i had found my white tele blizzard (r.i.p.)

and was hugely disappointed with pet land discounts selection of goldfish, although they did have a panda Oranda I was looking at ...in their koi tank ;)

at least three pet shops had closed :( including beach aquarium where I had found my beautiful white tele :(

all we could find were pet co's and pet smarts :(

the one other pet shop had a nice selection of fish but had NO Fancy goldfish at all ...and wouldn't be getting any till the weather cooled down some :( it was quite warm in the shop :( So I guess he was doing the right thing for the goldfish

Any way since I will be heading to Florida near the end of sept- beginning of oct I will be holding off until my return now ;) Maybe I will find the fish of my dreams while there ;) lol

I guess till then its big chain pet stores for me from now on :(

I blame the big chain stores for putting the little guy out of business :( I was quite disappointed :(

Sorry for my rantings

Ooh, I got to go to a few LFS yesterday and saw some very nice fish! I accidentally came across the Pet Supplies Plus store that's around here (I could never find it with google maps - go figure) and I was very impressed by their live fish section.

Very bright and ultra clean tanks, lightly stocked (for an LFS). Out of all the fish they had, I saw only one fish with an issue; a gorgeous ryukin with one anchor worm. Everyone else looked great.

Their goldfish were incredibly beautiful. Small size for somewhere between $6 - $12. They had the most adorable pearlscales. I really liked that little tri-color one, but I have no room.

They also had a tank full of the most beautiful calico orandas. I wish I could have taken a photo.

No koi for sale, which I liked. No common plecos either, but a few bristlenoses. Horned nerites, which was awesome.

They had an oscar that both Steven and I were completely in awe over and we agreed that if I had a tank available for an oscar (an empty 55g, that is), I would have gotten this guy. He was soooo beautiful! Base color like Hidr's Willow, but with deep fiery markings. Not in big patches but like a labyrinth-type pattern. GAWD he was so beautiful :please

Got some anubias for the 55g goldfish tank, and the guys love them :D

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I love visiting pet stores even if I don't need anything.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I love visiting pet stores even if I don't need anything.

Me too! :D It also is often some heartbreak though when you see a perfect fish like that oscar and know you can't have him. At least I got some gorgeous anubias!

I got two replacement bulbs, one neon tetra to make my school bigger and 15 ghost shrimp. I saw and left behind an oranda with a wen that was half white and an orange-gold ryukin with mostly metallic scales. He was flashy and caught my eye.

I got some type of red sword plants. :)

Got the API drop test kit :)

I paid a rare visit to my local fish store and purchased some Hikari Oranda Gold, bloodworms, filter cartridges and (don't be hatters) TetraFin goldfish crisps. My fish always love these crisps. I pretend they are candy/brownies/popcorn or some other unhealthy treat for them because they practically bust the glass trying to get at them. The store also had the most gigantimus orandas I've seen in a very long time. Easily 5-7 inches each with outstanding fins and head growth and puffy cheeks. They were only $49 each. Had to come from a local as they were huge, fat and in excellent condition. If I had the tank space I would have snapped them all up. Of course it's always fun to buy small and grow them out myself.

The store also had the most gigantimus orandas I've seen in a very long time. Easily 5-7 inches each with outstanding fins and head growth and puffy cheeks. They were only $49 each. Had to come from a local as they were huge, fat and in excellent condition. If I had the tank space I would have snapped them all up. Of course it's always fun to buy small and grow them out myself.

Hey my bathtubs empty, send them to me :rofl Ain't no shame in showering with the garden hose.

Edited by Smegy Psiren