Today I Went To My Favorite Lfs And.....

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly the kirin tele was not there anymore :( just as well ...as Jet has been feeling a bit down this week,not sure if it's just the prazi or not, well see if he perks back up after tomorrow w/c maybe next week my fav lps will have calico tele or panda moors on there ordering lists??

there were baby bettas at the petsgo. Like in a "raise your own betta" kind of display. They were about {----this----} long and FREAKING ADORABLE. A couple of them actually had the nerve to flare at me! My immediate reaction was WANT. But I can't help thinking in the more logical part of my mind that this is really a bad idea. They were just barely this side of having to eat food I can't actually see.

oh my gosh! I wish you had pics of those wee ones! I would be very tempted by that. I purposely bought the smallest betta I could find because I wanted it to grow in my care a bit :)

oh my gosh! I wish you had pics of those wee ones! I would be very tempted by that. I purposely bought the smallest betta I could find because I wanted it to grow in my care a bit :)

I thought about taking pictures but my cell phone is not very good at them and the bettas were soooo tiny and in round cups and... well, I decided it wouldn't work anyway.

Today I went back to the mom and pop lfs and got two more female minnows. This makes 7 in all (4 female, 3 mail). The school is much more cohesive. I may go back and get 2 or 4 more this weekend.

Today I went to the LFS and went a little crazy. I traded in my zebra danios and got a betta, two african dwarf frogs, an aqueon water changer (on a huge sale! $35 for the 50-foot one woot!), 6 neon tetras, two very small yo yo loaches, fish flakes and frozen blood worms. :))

The loaches will end up in the angel tank but for now they're small enough to stay in the old danio tank and gorge themselves on snails.

Pics in a minute!

well i have to fess up i went to a NEW LPS and was quite pleasently suprised! though it was a very very small place with only a few very common types of pets they had a few fish tanks like 2 salt water and 10 freshwater well all the tanks were slightly cloudy BUT in every single one of those tanks ALL those fish were very active and healthy no torn fins,no bottom sitting fish,no ich or missing scales not even in the feeder goldfish tank!!!! it was about 30 gallons with close to 25 feeders and ALL of them were active swimming around no clamped fins NOTHING! i asked how long ago the feeder shipment came in he said his last batch (the fish in the tank) had been there for 3 WEEKS!! i find that impressive...sooooooo

i MAY have picked up....a cute bronze colored goldy and i MAY have...named her....betty minnow....

and thats not even the worst part we took a stop at wally world so i could pick up my water conditioner and some salt(yes more ;) )

and i MAY have fallen in love with a gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous telescope labled a black moor(but is clearly NOT) and a cute little oranda

i know i know! i feel so horrable but i COULDNT pass up those two!!especielly the tele! it is GORGEOUS so since ive only got a 20 gal QT tank and ive already basically had to start my 80 gal from scratch im going to cycle the tank with the 2 facies and betty minnow while marchello will stay in the 20 gallon till i get the green water tub set up.

dont worry im testing the water every single day to keep a super close eye on the levels plus i seeded the filters with my nephews goruamis 20 gallon (which has been running 5 years now) media and water.

BUT i am SO done with fishies in the 80 gallon actually betty minnow will also be transfered over to the green water tub once its running.

Today I went to the new fish store in my area. This is the one that I got Jazz, my beautiful Fantail (they had labeled Ryukin). No big deal I love Jazz! She had told me she could get me a Black Oranda....so I went down to pay a deposit so she could place the order. I watched her & she "clicked" on Assorted Orandas. I asked if she had actually s e e n BLACK Orandas. She said yes & kept sort of pointing at the Black Moors. Finally I told her that the Black Moors are a different type of goldfish & I want a Black ORANDA. Finally she said she'd get one & let me look at it THEN I could pay. I agreed with that. (We'll see....I HOPE they get a Black Oranda but I have serious doubts. I have only ever seen ONE around here once & I got it. (I miss him!)

But they did have a couple more Calicos like Jazz.....one actually might be a Ryukin & has a seriously beautiful tail. If I don't get the Black Moor & that one's still there I'll get him. ((I only want one more fish))

Edited by Jeana727

Went to Pet$mart to see what they got included in their Black Friday sale - left very disappointed, empty handed. They did have some good deals, but on nothing I need. Like the Whisper EX70 for like $ 30. That is pretty good for a 340gph filter, but I was hoping they'd have the AC filters on sale, but nope. Checked on everything else that would be of interest to me (prime, test kit, plant bulbs, live plants, frozen foods, filter media) but nothing of this was on sale.

The only sort of interesting thing was a canister filter for 30 gallons which was half off.

We then went to Fintastic who seriously had amazing deals on their tanks. But their tanks are already very expensive, and it does not help me much when a full 180 gallon setup (tank, stand, canopy, lights, filtration system etc) AFTER $ 1.700 off still costs $ 2.200.

Picked up some Gold Buffer, as well as a Hydor Mini heater and a small piece of driftwood for the betta tank.

Checked their fish, and they had such gorgeous fish! Still got this beautiful large (body larger than tennis ball size) red and white female ryukin. An absolute dream fish for me, but again, I neither have room for her nor the $ 70 to buy her.

They also had a ton of super cute celestials and ranchus. These little guys were typical mass breds though, with obvious flaws like kinked spines, bent fins etc. There was one cute orange celestial with white belly that I probably would have taken home if I had room, as these 2 inchers were only $ 5.99.

Except for one, all their panda orandas are gone, and this one has lost most of his black. Got a new large fish in too, a huge orange oranda. Never seen an oranda this big (in person). Including tail she probably was 10 inches long, a bit more on the long bodied side. Gorgeous top-of-the-head-wen though, and very healthy looking.

Overall AGAIN though I am not so pleased with the fish care at this store. There was an angelfish that had both pectorals rotted off. All the decor in the tank was covered in some weird looking fuzz, and it also grew on the fin-stumps of this angelfish.

The beautiful ryukin had a lot of red streaks and splits in her caudals. A dead goldfish in one of the tanks, and from the look of it it had to be dead for a couple days. Some fish with ich for sale, as always a lot of fin damage in all the tanks (splits, rot).

A celestial still alive, stuck to the filter intake, others floating still alive sideways at the surface.

Edited by stakos
deleted duplicate mention in same post.

Stopped last night at the new Petsmart that opened this week in my city. I purchased 2 Bronze Corys and 2 Emerald Green Corys for my tropical tank. Also picked up a container of Tubifex. They had a decent selection of GF notably a tank of Shubies and Sarassa Comets that Miss Fang would have liked. :ehh

Went to our favorite place to buy equipment this afternoon and I bought my husband a 14g biocube as an early Christmas present. We had some money planned to upgrade him, which he badly needs, but I decided to upgrade his upgrade a bit for the holidays as well. :)

We will probably move his saltwater kids into it tomorrow. I could make him wait till Christmas but that would just be cruel--the light on his old tank doesn't work anymore.

Yesterday went to a LPS and starred at the fish tank/ pond for 10 minutes and another fish tank with goldies to see 1 panda oranda lionheads but all the ones in the tank had kinked backs. Saw lots of pearls scales and pom-poms. To my surprise they had one white telescope and I think red eyes in the pond thing. I also saw the cutest lionhead that was panda with just a little bit of bronze leaking out from the black sadly we had to leave him there. I'm not getting a new fish until after Christmas .

All the goldies were healthy they may have not been as active as a fish in a tank owned by anyone here but the pond were all swimming around happily! Which was a joy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

Went to pet shop to get filter floss stuff. Found some nice wood with anubias at pet-co. They also had these little calicos who were mostly white. Their eyes were pure black. What's up with that? Is it just a variation??

Went to pet-co for Hikari sinking bottom feeder disks, they had these really weird vines with some kind of moss attached that you could bend into any shape. Most of them looked gunky tho...

At my job, got a beautiful dark silver and bronze fantail in with the shipment of orandas (clearly misplaced!) and I sorely wish I had the room to bring it home...

Did some online shopping the other day and picked up a backup kilo of alkaline buffer. Went to another site and purchased three backup SmartHeaters but was informed the next day all of their inventory has been depleted, Darn! :madrant

Yesterday, I went to two lfs's and saw a beautiful milk chocolate oranda; a gorgeous calico ryukin with heavy black streaks in a long, stunning tail; a moor who begged me to take him home; and a mostly orange calico oranda with lots of white and black. None came home with me, but they were very nice fish!

I did get six neon tetras and a light lavender betta boy. :) I also got some media to seed for DD's fish tank from Santa.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

i went with my husband to pick up crickets for his lizards. when we were checking out i went over to look at the parakeets and saw one that was hanging upside down from a bird toy. the poor thing was dangling from the band on it's leg and couldn't free itself. i told the cashier and she called someone over.

I have done way to much shopping lately.

Got 5 platies to replace the ones that were eaten.

Bought 2 liters of prime and a breeder net for my betta. His tank is in my chilly room and his heater cannot handle it. So he will be staying with my other betta who roams the 55.

Purchased 2 pounds of progold and 1 pound of salad supreme.

And 1 new 216 watt light for my 55.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk