Today I Went To My Favorite Lfs And.....

Shawnee, how about some photos of your shrimp tank? :)

I was going to wait until I have some fish, and I'm waiting on fish until I see that the plants are established. I'm trying dwarf hair grass, and it comes out easily, so I wanted to give it a few weeks.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went down to my favorite lfs last night with my daughter and we picked up a large bubble disc for my 60, 16 ft. of airline, and a pack of connectors. We checked out their GF tanks as well, they had a lot of Lionheads, small Black Moors, and a tank of Urkel's.

I got another bottle of Nutrafin Cycle and API drops test kit. I don't think I can afford these fish!!

Oh, and I saw a gorgeous little calico ryukin. It was small with a nice big hump, button eyes and a huge tail. If only I had a place for it.

Mostly got things for the dogs and the bird, though I did pick up some filter supplies for the goldies.

Saw a GORGEOUS white oranda, too. If only my other tank wasn't taking so long to cycle . . .

• Supporter

Mostly got things for the dogs and the bird, though I did pick up some filter supplies for the goldies.

Saw a GORGEOUS white oranda, too. If only my other tank wasn't taking so long to cycle . . .

can you feed it some filter media from your other tank's filter that is cycled? perhaps that will speed things along for you.

A couple days ago I was at Pet$mart, and had I had room for another fish, I would have came home with one of their lionhead mutants :rofl

They had a whole tank full of lionheads, and half of them had tiny, really short dorsals. And with tiny, I mean TINY. Those dorsals were only about 4 rays long, and not tall at all. They were really funny and cute looking :D

Did some online shopping today for some necessary supplies. Picked up 3 lbs.Omega One pellets for the herd, two different Omega One flakes for the trops, and 4 kilos of Seachem Alkaline Buffer. That should last me a while. :ehh

3lb Omega One Pellets? Dayum, how much do you feed them? :rofl Your fish are PIGS! :rofl

Haha I know...I've even got some of the large Omega One pellets...those things are huge and Larry Pizza scarfs 'em like they're nuthin! :)santa

I've never seen the big pellets! But then again I feed pellets to the goldis only occasionally, lately even Hugo gets buoyancy issues from pellets-too-often. Anyway. I demand a video of Larry Pizza scarfing down huge Omega One pellets! :D

I went to get more Prime and I really wish I had room for another fish! There was a gorgeous black one...I was drooling. He looked just like your Blacky Fishie, Fang.

Wow! I did it AGAIN.......I DIDN'T BUY A GOLDFISH!!!!!!!!!

We went to Joe's Crab Shack (one county over)....by the way the food was FANTASTIC!!!! As we went out I spied a Ptsmart I haven't been too...so we went.

I told myself NO GOLDFISH....the only exception would have been a Black Oranda (my dream goldie). I looked around at the goldies..there were some pretty ones..but NOT my Dream Fish! We left empty handed!!

There MAY be hope for me!!!! :clapping:

Edited by Jeana727

Good for your, Jeana for holding out for the perfect fish.

I have yet to go to my lfs since getting the new tank, but once I do, I'm sure I'll have a long list of things I "needed".

yesterday i was at a local lfs and got myself a tiku pearl scale and a bronze ranchu. today, i will be visiting another lfs to check out if they have short tail ryukins and buy frozen bloodworms. :)

got a couple of jungle vals and another 5 lb bag of tahitian moon sand (I only added enough initial to just barely cover the bottom, but the goldies dig through it so much that there are always patches of bare bottom showing through, so I am going to add a little more)

• Supporter

this time around, in order to resist temptation, i had the LFS come to me.. lol.. supplier got some 26cms telescopes in :o and although he shared pics to my mobile, i said no :( so he came to see if i was ok and bring me the prime i wanted!.. haha..

gawd help me when Kathy gets here tomorrow and she demands an LFS visit! lolololol

Today I went to the lfs and found this super cute calico telescope that I almost bought but had to resist buying because I just don't have room in my tank. Since I was having such a hard time leaving my bf asked me what would make me happy..so I look at him intently with big ol' eye balls and tell him a bigger tank and that fish over there (pointing).... Well, he told me that whenever he proposes to me he'll put the ring in my "dream tank" and stick a gold fish in there. The problems with that are, that probably won't happen for quite some time, I wanted "that" fish and he has no clue about setting up a tank :doh11: oy ve.

Lol I gave him one of these looks after that.. :bat:

Today I went to the lfs and found this super cute calico telescope that I almost bought but had to resist buying because I just don't have room in my tank. Since I was having such a hard time leaving my bf asked me what would make me happy..so I look at him intently with big ol' eye balls and tell him a bigger tank and that fish over there (pointing).... Well, he told me that whenever he proposes to me he'll put the ring in my "dream tank" and stick a gold fish in there. The problems with that are, that probably won't happen for quite some time, I wanted "that" fish and he has no clue about setting up a tank :doh11: oy ve.

Lol I gave him one of these looks after that.. :bat:

Ask him to leave out the water and sub the goldfish for some goldfish crackers. I think that'd be adorable. :)

Got a new fluorescent bulb for the tropical tank. Not sure if I like it as it casts a strong magenta-purple glow on everything. It seems quite unnatural to me. Looks good on some fish, gotta get used to it on other fish.

Also got a pack of plant bulbs. The package said it contains 1 water lily, 1 onion plant and 2 aponogetons.

Instead of these 4 bulbs, the package contained a total of 1 water lily, 3 onion plants, and 4 aponogetons. For only $ 3.99, I bought it and decided to give it a try, after all it's twice the amount of plants - if they all sprout.

Funny though how some of them are difficult to plant. The lily bulb had to be weighed down with two river rocks. One of the onion bulbs also wanted to float, and one aponogeton.

Bought a new nitrate test kit. Got speaking to the guy serving about my tap water issues, and got told goldfish can tolerate nitrates of over 200, so 50 shouldn't worry me.

Can't believe it! That's the second time I've been told that, from people in different stores. Always thought that was a good lfs, too. I'm sure goldfish can tolerate alot, but that doesn't mean they should have to.

Bought a new nitrate test kit. Got speaking to the guy serving about my tap water issues, and got told goldfish can tolerate nitrates of over 200, so 50 shouldn't worry me.

Can't believe it! That's the second time I've been told that, from people in different stores. Always thought that was a good lfs, too. I'm sure goldfish can tolerate alot, but that doesn't mean they should have to.

Yeah, I am sure that some goldfish can tolerate 200ppm, but first the fish have to survive these parameters and get used to them, I guess. And even then I would doubt if the constant exposure to such high nitrates won't slowly harm the fish.