Snails To Eat Fish Poop ?

rymnd

Might sound silly but I have some reasoning....

I've been reading around and some people say no snail would eat faeces but I myself have seen my apple snails eat long strands of fish poop if they happen to travel over it.

Just wondering, would it be good if I obtained many apple snails in my pond to recycle the big fish poop that settles at the bottom into smaller particles that can be more easily sucked into the filter or vacuumed away?

I read about snails increasing the bioload thingy but wouldn't the lightweight waste be removed heaps faster by the biological and mechanial filtration of the pond filter combined with water hyacinths, duckweed, and water lillies tied to bricks, providing a natural filtration?

Post your thoughts and ideas~

• Supporter
:hmm i've had two apple snails for about 4 years.. i heard a few times before buying them that they do this, but personally, i've never gained the opportunity to see this happen :blink: .. admittingly, it's the reason why i purchased them.. but when i saw that this never happened, i started to feed them proper foods.. now, i guess as they know they're going to get something better, i guess it would never interest them.. but then again, who knows what those cheeky little buggers get upto when the lights are out? :tomuch:

Okay, so here's my :twocents

In my opinion, I think that the apple snails would probably more likely munch on any algae or fish food in the pond first before reverting to eating fish waste. I highly doubt that their main diet consists of fish waste, and it's more likely that there was undigested vegetation if it looked like it was actually eating it. I've had a few apple snails myself, and mine never ate fish waste but instead produced quite a bit of it themselves. The likelihood of a large quantity of apple snails preferring fish waste to vegetation I think would be very slim.

My guess is if you were to follow through with your plan of apple snails as fish waste recyclers, you'd probably end up with a lot of dead apple snail shells seeing as their main diet consists of fresh vegetables or veggie pellets.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php#food

I'm glad you're looking for constructive ways to help lighten the bioload of your pond, but there's really very few options when the pond is overstocked. Even if the idea did work, the pond filter would most likely get mucked up with fish waste much faster than the bb's could break it down.

A heavily planted pond would work to provide some filtration, but you also need to keep in mind that at night, they are not photosynthesizing and are also consuming oxygen. Your fish also need room to grow. So with all the possibilities of lightening the load, it really all comes down to less fish, more space, more filtration, or you'll probably end up with stunted growth and fatalities.

It's not just about good water. The fish need space and keeping them in crowded conditions provides more opportunities for disease to spread. Seeing as the pond is already overstocked, I personally would highly recommend against adding anything more to the bioload. Waste is waste... unfortunately, there's no way to make it disappear.

• Supporter

Okay, so here's my :twocents

In my opinion, I think that the apple snails would probably more likely munch on any algae or fish food in the pond first before reverting to eating fish waste. I highly doubt that their main diet consists of fish waste, and it's more likely that there was undigested vegetation if it looked like it was actually eating it. I've had a few apple snails myself, and mine never ate fish waste but instead produced quite a bit of it themselves. The likelihood of a large quantity of apple snails preferring fish waste to vegetation I think would be very slim.

My guess is if you were to follow through with your plan of apple snails as fish waste recyclers, you'd probably end up with a lot of dead apple snail shells seeing as their main diet consists of fresh vegetables or veggie pellets.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php#food

I'm glad you're looking for constructive ways to help lighten the bioload of your pond, but there's really very few options when the pond is overstocked. Even if the idea did work, the pond filter would most likely get mucked up with fish waste much faster than the bb's could break it down.

A heavily planted pond would work to provide some filtration, but you also need to keep in mind that at night, they are not photosynthesizing and are also consuming oxygen. Your fish also need room to grow. So with all the possibilities of lightening the load, it really all comes down to less fish, more space, more filtration, or you'll probably end up with stunted growth and fatalities.

It's not just about good water. The fish need space and keeping them in crowded conditions provides more opportunities for disease to spread. Seeing as the pond is already overstocked, I personally would highly recommend against adding anything more to the bioload. Waste is waste... unfortunately, there's no way to make it disappear.

:exactly:goodpost

I think everyone, at some point in their lives, is told that there is a fish/snail/organism they can buy that will eat POOP.

As much as I'd love to own one of these mysterious animals, I just don't think they exist. :cry1

(Do dung beetles eat poop or just nest in it?)

Even still, what does an animal that eats poop poop? haha.

I think everyone, at some point in their lives, is told that there is a fish/snail/organism they can buy that will eat POOP.

As much as I'd love to own one of these mysterious animals, I just don't think they exist.

They do exist. They are called Tilapia. They are the waste recyclers for fish farms. Like if you buy some farmed Striped Bass, and some farmed Tilapia - The Tilapia probably had been eating the Bass poop all their life. They should go together pretty well.

Bon Appetit. :)

As much as I'd love to own one of these mysterious animals, I just don't think they exist.

They do exist. They are called Tilapia. They are the waste recyclers for fish farms. Like if you buy some farmed Striped Bass, and some farmed Tilapia - The Tilapia probably had been eating the Bass poop all their life. They should go together pretty well.

Bon Appetit. :)

OH MY GOSH THAT'S RIGHT! Mike Roe did a Dirty Jobs episode on them! Probably wouldn't mix with goldies though... Too bad.

On that note, what do Tilapia poop?

I did some reading on tilapia just quickly and they are a type of cichlid that doesn't tend to survive below 60'F/16'C, (thank you Wikipedia!) so would be unsuitable for all year round pond life in Britain at least. Definitely tropical critters smile.gif Nothing about them eating poop - they are apparently mostly vegetarian and also don't live very long (Wikipedia +1). They are kept with bass etc because they eat the plants, so the oxygen levels at night are higher and the fish grow bigger.

I did some reading on tilapia just quickly and they are a type of cichlid that doesn't tend to survive below 60'F/16'C, (thank you Wikipedia!) so would be unsuitable for all year round pond life in Britain at least. Definitely tropical critters smile.gif Nothing about them eating poop - they are apparently mostly vegetarian and also don't live very long (Wikipedia +1). They are kept with bass etc because they eat the plants, so the oxygen levels at night are higher and the fish grow bigger.

Well, you see - I was completely wrong. Serves me right for believing my son's stories. :)

Then Mike Roe LIED TO ME!?!

:krazy:

noooooooooooooo not Mike!!! I trust him!!!!!!!!!!! :o

wait remain calm!!!!!!!! anyone can edit wiki so lets just remember that!!

Mike is always right! :heart

I dunno about in other places, but I know in Texas, tilapia farms also use pig waste for tilapia raising. Here's an article that explains it. :)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Faqua.ucdavis.edu%2FDatabaseRoot%2Fpdf%2F280FS.PDF&rct=j&q=tilapia%20and%20pigs&ei=Ee07TKrvMpOksQOm9pjaCg&usg=AFQjCNExKmEFtI9njO_SdMm02eMAL8qHBA