Aquaclear Filtration For 120 Gallon Tank

Just wanted to see if anyone has a similar setup as I'm planning for my 120 gallon tank. To obtain the 1200 gph required for my telescopes I'm planning on using the following:

AquaClear 110 (500 gph) x 2 = 1000 gph

AquaClear 50 (200 gph) x 1 = 200 gph

I don't think I would have any space issues at the rear by using three of the HOB's. I'm sold on the AquaClear filters but I wanted to hear from anyone who has a triple tandem filter setup as I'll be using.

-Dennis

I've got a 125gal tank... I've got 3 Aquaclear 110's and 2 Eheim 2215's on it along with 3 Hydor 4 air pumps and a 6" microbubbler.

Typically the larger the tank, the more I over filter it - especially if there's going to be a large load of fish. The 10x filtration is a minimum guideline, so I tend to go over that with all my tanks.

::EDIT::

The nice thing about having so many filters on 1 tank is that you can clean your filters at different times to prevent any cycle bumps. The aquaclear 110 that is located in the middle section of the tank is hard to reach though, so usually, the media stuff just gets taken out and rinsed. No completely filter cleaning for that one.

Edited by Tinkokeshi

Hey thanks Tinkokeshi for your advice. I just purchased three AquaClear 110's for a total of 1500 gph online and that will do the trick. Got all three of them for a steal too! :thumb:

-Dennis

:) No problem...

Just make sure that you maintenance your aquaclears on a routine basis. The sponges in them get clogged up really fast if you've got goldfish that produce waste like mine. :blink: I'd recommend keeping up with water changes in the beginning until all 3 filters are able to get a good bb colony going in there, and then just cleaning out 1 filter a month... and just alternate each time. :) That should do the trick!

Aquaclear 110s are GREAT!! I have 2 on the 90 gal & 1 on the 29!! They are hard working filters & easy to maintain!!

Aquaclear 110s are GREAT!! I have 2 on the 90 gal & 1 on the 29!! They are hard working filters & easy to maintain!!

Hey Jeana...I'm using two 70's on my 55 gallon tank and a 50 on my 20 gallon tropical tank and I swear by 'em. Can't wait to get everything ready to hook up on the 120 gallon! ;)

-Dennis