Apple Snail?

I've been hearing a lot about these snails lately (and I think they're kind of cute), and I wonder if it would be ok for my tank? My tank is a 55 gallon with 5 goldies in it. I've read that apple snails become 5 inches or more so would putting it in my 55 gallon be alright? If not what other types of snails would be available to put in a goldy tank where the snail wouldn't be harrassed by the 5 local pigs?

Also, are the 'Mystery Snails' in P*smart apple snails, or are they pest snails?

Edited by Tay

Yep the mystry snails are the same thing. None of mine ever got bigger then a large marble. But I have heard of of them getting tennis ball size.

But since you have five goldfish I would not add one to the tank.

There isn't a single apple snail recorded that grows beyond 4 inches. The Pomacea insularum are quite rare in aquarium trade and these are the ones that do grow to at least 4 inches in size. Pomacea canaliculata come second to at least 3" in shell diameter. Mystery snails (Pomacea diffusa) reach 2 inches max only. Either canas or diffusas are available in pet stores but canas can only be legally obtained within the state line. USDA bans the shipping of canas across other states. Diffusas, on the other hand, are legal to ship anywhere from egg clutches to adult.

2.5g per snail is the recommended stocking guideline. A 55g will be fine for a couple at least but upgrade the filters as well since these snails poop a lot even rivaling your goldfish and plecos on that. They need to be fed adequately with vegetables and calcium enriched foods. Make sure your water is hard and alkaline since the shells easily erode in soft acidic waters.

There isn't a single apple snail recorded that grows beyond 4 inches. The Pomacea insularum are quite rare in aquarium trade and these are the ones that do grow to at least 4 inches in size. Pomacea canaliculata come second to at least 3" in shell diameter. Mystery snails (Pomacea diffusa) reach 2 inches max only. Either canas or diffusas are available in pet stores but canas can only be legally obtained within the state line. USDA bans the shipping of canas across other states. Diffusas, on the other hand, are legal to ship anywhere from egg clutches to adult.

2.5g per snail is the recommended stocking guideline. A 55g will be fine for a couple at least but upgrade the filters as well since these snails poop a lot even rivaling your goldfish and plecos on that. They need to be fed adequately with vegetables and calcium enriched foods. Make sure your water is hard and alkaline since the shells easily erode in soft acidic waters.

That's interesting, now I can probably identify the ones that I see. :D Thank you.

Thanks again for the detailed info. :D I've read about those liquid calcium things you can add to the water. Would that be recommended for the fish or no? Or would crushed coral be fine to buffer up the water?

• Supporter

i noticed a deterioration in my apple snails shells.. now, twice a week, i take them out from the tank and sit them with a cuttle fish bone and a wad of spinach or lettuce or anything green.. i have been doing this now for 2 months and i have notices some serious improvement.

personally, i think that to maintain the gold fish, there already is plenty added to the tank.. ie, salts, prime, conditioners and so forth.. my tank is planted so i have to add fertilizer and then algae fixers and so forth.. so i prefer to feed the snails the repair foods seperately every 2-3 days.

there is always a cuttlefish bone in the main tank..

;)

i noticed a deterioration in my apple snails shells.. now, twice a week, i take them out from the tank and sit them with a cuttle fish bone and a wad of spinach or lettuce or anything green.. i have been doing this now for 2 months and i have notices some serious improvement.

personally, i think that to maintain the gold fish, there already is plenty added to the tank.. ie, salts, prime, conditioners and so forth.. my tank is planted so i have to add fertilizer and then algae fixers and so forth.. so i prefer to feed the snails the repair foods seperately every 2-3 days.

there is always a cuttlefish bone in the main tank..

;)

That sounds like a good idea :D So they can actually get something to eat! :rofl Will a regular old goldfish bowl do? Or a glass container?

• Supporter

That sounds like a good idea :D So they can actually get something to eat! :rofl Will a regular old goldfish bowl do? Or a glass container?

i just put them in a plastic tub.. they're only in there for a few hours at a time.. then once they're done, (and thankfully most of their poop stays behind as they do drop heaps whilst they feed) i just put them back in the main tank and their all charged up and happy again!.. :D

i just put them in a plastic tub.. they're only in there for a few hours at a time.. then once they're done, (and thankfully most of their poop stays behind as they do drop heaps whilst they feed) i just put them back in the main tank and their all charged up and happy again!.. :D

That is a fabulous idea. :rofl Another little poop machine addition. It's great XD. Thank you so much

• Supporter

That is a fabulous idea. :rofl Another little poop machine addition. It's great XD. Thank you so much

poop machine addition and dooooon't you forget it.. they may poop small, but there's about 60 to 100 little pooper pellets that fly out from the backsides of those machines!! LOL

:tomuch:

The reason I suggest you don't get any is cause my 55 gallon tanks don't hold 55 gallons of water.

Oh yes, I forgot about that :doh11: Was yours about 47 gallons or so actually in it?

That's interesting, now I can probably identify the ones that I see. :D Thank you.

Thanks again for the detailed info. :D I've read about those liquid calcium things you can add to the water. Would that be recommended for the fish or no? Or would crushed coral be fine to buffer up the water?

Crushed corals are fine. You may use Caltrate to feed the snails their calcium. None of the fish should be harmed by that. I prefer Caltrate over Tums since Tums clouds the water rather badly (although no harm is actually done; just unsightly).

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't a single apple snail recorded that grows beyond 4 inches.

My Pomacea maculata grow to around 6 inch. I am not sure about the rest of the world but they are certainly available in the aquarrium trade in the UK as I supply my lfs with them.

This isn't mine but is definitely over 4".

hugesnail.jpg

I originally obtained 3 of them through a friend about 10 years ago I don't remember where he got them but he had got them as babies & after about 18 months they were nearly 4" & had outgrown his tank as he had assumed all apple snails only grow to the same size as bridgessii/diffussa. They continued growing whilst I had them & ultimately ended up at between 5?" - 6?". 2 lived to just over 6 years old the other almost made it to 7. Some of their offspring has since been identified by a local university the shell shape & colouration made it clear they were in the canaliculata complex but it was the spots on the interior of the shells & the thin shell walls that positively identified them as maculata in the end.

So this snail laid eggs yet? What color are the eggs? I would have guessed canaliculata complex from the pics as well (though I am aware a personal observation would be more accurate).

So this snail laid eggs yet? What color are the eggs?

Yes & light green.

Once they reach breeding age (15-18 months) they start laying clutches of 200 or so eggs, as they grow the clutches get larger. A full grown snail produces well over a thousand eggs at a time. They hatch after about 2 weeks.

Interesting! The existence of Pomacea maculata in the trade had always been proven mythical before due to their practically nonexistence in that area. This seems a first to me. I was just wondering over the possibility of Pomacea haustrum. Did you look into this one?