Sign in to follow this  
jody

Koi Fish Saved From Horrible Demise

I work for a delivery company and I was scanning a box to stay at our station for the weekend. I heard something thrashing around inside and investigated. Found out there was 7 Koi fish in there. They had been in there since June 29th. Apparantly some sort of dispute between shipper and recepient so the shipper wants them destroyed. I offered to take them home for the weekend so they wouldn't die. They agreed. Hopefully things will get worked out between the two partys so they can get to a pond.

Anyways I bought a 36 gallon rubbermaid and have two filters going and an air wand ( 300GPH) I transferred the water (2-3 gallons) from the bag into the tub because I was afraid to hurt them and I wanted to get them in fresh water fast.

koi.jpg

Okay. Ammonia not so good:Looking at about 2-4.

test.jpg

I am prepared to change most of the water tonight, but how fast is this going to keep creeping up? I may steal some media from my goldie tank for them but I doubt it will be enough. I of course will find the proper home for them but I have to wait until it gets finalized at work.

Thoughts, opinions, all the help I can get?

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Oh my goodness, what beautiful fish! That's a shame that they had to be in the middle of a dispute and were in there that long. I'm not expert but I would say keep up with those water changes, and that seeding the filters may help a lot to keep up with the wastes. Thank goodness they were found in your care.

Wow just babies too.

You did an amazing save ! Good job, that is really admirable. 3 days in that ammonia is crazy!!!

They must be loving the fresh water..

Its going to rise rapidly again though....LESS rise with lower stress now but still koi are bigger than goldies and release more of this stuff :o

Have you made enquiries anywhere that might take them? Local ponds/govt/schools? Anywhere that has a pond. Your story is pretty sellable, so use it to the max...

If poss I would try and separate them into at least 3 tubs if you could. Much easier to manage the ammonia. You would need 2 more filters...yikes what a thing to happen, how sad.

Did you salt them to ease stress? 0.1%.

Thanx! :thanks

No inquires yet. I have to wait to see what my company says Monday. Could get more tubs tomorrow, same size you think? I will salt to 0.1% right away during my wc. Food? What will they eat. I gave them some Hikari-Saki.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Those koi were real lucky to find u. (or vice versa) I think now you need your own pond. ;)

Just a thought, if you are not planning to keep them long term, you could put zeolite in the filters to deal with the ammonia. If you do, you will need to keep up with water tests, and change it out and recharge it frequently. I've used zeolite in an emergency hospital tank with good results. It does tend to fill up without warning, so daily tests will help you see when the ammonia starts building up again.

One really important note: Zeolite is recharged with salt, so you cannot salt the tank if you use it. Salt will cause all the ammonia it is holding to be released back into the water.

You are amazing for investigating that. Those poor babies wouldn't have survived another few days. I would think you could get a couple of those same sized tubs and split them up to help with the water changes.

OMG Jody you're a hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:hi5:bighug:heart

LOL :rofl What a day is all I can say. I will find out Monday what the deal is. I just did a good 60-70% WC that pretty much cut the ammonia in half. I stole a media bag from my goldie tank(they have four) and put it in one of the filters. The salt is at 0.1% and man they are lively. One almost jumped out during my WC. Will look into long term solutions monday because I may have to turn them over then. They are worth $108 each. Sad thing there may be a few more boxes of them somewhere, the box says one of six. It was the only box like it on the trace shelf so hopefully the others got delivered.

here's to hoping the other 5 boxes did make it to their destination!.. and jody, i think it's swell you saved them.. and are taking great care of them.. why not reward yourself with a pond? you're half way there, you have the fish already LOL..

good luck, they're very lucky to have found you.. and they look adorable.

why not reward yourself with a pond? you're half way there, you have the fish already LOL..

OMG Great idea!!! :rofl

How awesome of you to rescue those poor fishies! They look like some really pretty fish too! I love butterfly koi :heart

Jody, I just remembered...koi often JUMP :o!! They jump HIGH. The pond fish at work really know how to do acrobatics, and it happens at feeding time often

Yikes. You may need to take precautions for that, the rubbermaids are shallow. Is there any chance of setting up a small plastic swim pool?

It has the sides..no room huh? Then do make sure the tubs are on the floor at least :).

I hope those other shipments made it okay and these guys find a good home. Looking at that green ammonia level looks more like it was 8 in that shipbox :o

Apparantly some sort of dispute between shipper and recepient so the shipper wants them destroyed. I offered to take them home for the weekend so they wouldn't die. They agreed. Hopefully things will get worked out between the two partys so they can get to a pond.

Anyways I bought a 36 gallon rubbermaid and have two filters going and an air wand ( 300GPH) I transferred the water (2-3 gallons) from the bag into the tub because I was afraid to hurt them and I wanted to get them in fresh water fast.

Great job HC. That was a really nice thing you did and I commend you. :clapping:

As for the cruel shipper... :wa:pan

I would love a pond!! I live in an apartment though :(

I am calling my boss soon as I did some more investigating with the tracking number and the other 5 boxes are at our station. There was 33 koi on the invoice so there are more. If the shipper wants them destroyed then maybe we can contact the recepient and they will take them. The recepient is a landscaping company so I am sure they are set up for them. There was a little note in the box from the shipper that said they applied a credit from last order so the recepient has ordered before.

The ammonia was that high after I transferred the 3-4 gallons of water they were packaged in into the 30 gallon tub, so I can just imagine what the ammonia was in the box. The ammonia right now is between 2-4. I am doing another huge WC as soon as I have my breakfast. I fed them Saki-Hikari last night because they hadnt been fed in 4 days. I know feeding them will spike the ammonia. What and how often should they be fed?

They are so small still goldfish sinking food is fine..if the saki hikari is the one with probiotics in so much the better.

Once a day but enough that they are satisfied. Do the water changing about one hour to two hours after the feeding. This is when the ammonia will spike most.

oh.. bummer you aren't able to accomodate them :( .. can you make a small advertisement in your local paper?, free to a well maintained pond? i don't know what else to suggest.. but i wish you all the best of luck.. i admire your courage in taking them on though (even if it's just temporary).. it's very sweet..

Oh no! More still at the station? This is a terrible mix up and I hope for your sake and the sake of the fish that it gets sorted out fast.

Why would the shipper want them destroyed?

I hope those other babies survive. Are you going to be able to check on them Monday?

Wow Jody,how utterly cool that you intervened here :9:goodjob:hi5 BTW,I live in an apt over a garage,and last summer,when I was overstocked, by A LOT,I bought a 130g pond liner and put it on my patio,bought a couple of filters-and PRESTO........... :pond

Here it is:20100410_0975.jpg

Thanks everybody for your kind and caring words :D

That's a nice little pond you have on your deck kukana! I really like the atmosphere, looks like a nice place to relax. :)

I can't get a hold of my boss, I left messages. I will know the fate on Monday. I am not sure the other koi would be alive. They were packaged on June 29th, and Monday will make 6 days. I don't know how long they would survive, I just don't know. :(

I am not sure why the shipper would want them destroyed but the shipping with my company is super expensive and it would cost more to ship them back then they are worth. Actually they arent as expensive as I thought, the price I looked at was for the whole shipment which was 33 koi. I have 7. I think they go for about $25 or more each. Price is not something I like to talk about but unfortunatly the almighty dollar is worth more to some than the lives of these fish.

I got the ammonia down to 1 today after a wc. I am feeding soon and then a couple more hours and another wc. I will check the levels pre/post wc.

My dad works at a golf course about an hour and a half drive away. They have a hole called the water hole and there is a huge pond. Dad says he has seen koi in the pond. He is not sure how they got there but he said he hasent seen them in a while, also he said the water is hard to see through as there is a lot of mud in the pond. I didnt know they could survive the winter, it goes down to minus 15-20C which I think is around 0F.

Here is a picture of that pond:

17.jpg

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

After you find out more about it on Mon.,and if you didn't want to keep them,I bet you could find homes for them via Craig's List-I'm sure someone would love to have them :exactly

I am so happy to see that pond!! It would be magic to get these babies into it. I am sooooo excited about this and have all my fingers crossed your dad can wangle it.

Fantastic idea.

That's such a shame that they shipper would have them destroyed. Random question but how exactly WOULD they be destroyed? I mean... in the UK I think there are certain laws, even with goldfish, it would be animal cruelty... But on the other hand I don't know how they would "put down" goldfish cos I can't really see them buying clove oil... I wonder what they would actually do?

Hopefully someone will want to take them off your hands! Someone with a nice pond too... I've noticed some disgusting ponds since I've got into goldfish keeping, when I wouldn't have noticed anything bad before.