Big Fat Danios!

No one can tell you what to do, All they're trying to do is help.

Funny then that no one's even mentioned the problem that started this thread.

What do you mean by cycled?

Nitrate test kits are absolutely required for goldfish. If you don't test for nitrate, how do you know when and how much water to change?

Why would you need to?

I will try to answer your questions, but chances are you'll take it the wrong way or won't believe me. Like I said, no one can tell you what to do. But if you want someone here to try to help you figure out what's going on with your fish, you'll need to tell us the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels in your tank. Making sure the water params are OK is the first step when figuring out what's wrong with fish. It's not a scam or anything. All those things can be toxic to fish if they're not at the right levels.

I've always found this website is a bit too strict with goldfish care; specifically tank sizes. I take on people's advice from here, and other places and i also use my own commonsense. My fish are healthy and happy. A lot more so than when i was doing a water change every week.

That is fine, that you take our advice but also weigh it with info from elesewhere - that's the beauty of online forums, you can take the information you get from them 'with a grain of salt' and do your best to educate yourself from other sources too.

I'm not going to say much but I just wanted to note that you mentioned your fish have been better since you did fewer water changes. I would think this is because the ammonia and nitrites in your tank (both very toxic) have built up so high that when you do a water change the fish experience a big shock from the change in levels of those chemicals. When you do them less frequently, they don't get that shock, but they are getting the long term effects :(

I used to be like you and think that people who preached about water quality and fish care were a bit crazy. I'd kept fish, with varying degrees of success, all my life without ever owning a test kit. But I learned the hard way about how important these things are if you are going to be serious about fish keeping. I lost a lot of fish and saw them suffer needlessly, but since learning more about the science behind what I do, I rarely have any issues in my tank. It really does make a big difference to know what's going on in there, chemically and biologically speaking. Fish are complex organisms and honestly, it is difficult for us to mimic their natural environment in these small containers. To do it right it DOES take a lot of time and money, compared to the common misconception that fish are 'easy' to care for.

I'm not trying to argue here, as with all other advice you get, you may not agree with what I'm saying. I have been reading the thread and I do think you are interested in keeping fish and care about them. Just please understand that we have a lot of experience and knowledge and we're not trying to attack you in any way, we're just trying to share that information with you. What you choose to do with it is your own business.

it feels like either he is trolling or really enjoys arguing and dismissing information. someone just give some input about the danios and lets be done with this.

it feels like either he is trolling or really enjoys arguing and dismissing information. someone just give some input about the danios and lets be done with this.

:rofl go martha! saying what we all feel!

They have swallowed too many socks :) Treat them with cherry pie for one week and all will be well :)

Hahaha that made me laugh so hard! :rofl

If it is happening every summer I would say that you may have females from what I've read. I've also read that they will eat all of the fry and eggs after they've been laid. Maybe that's why you haven't been seeing any eggs each summer. This has been going on every summer if I'm not mistaken, and none of them have been sick afterwards right?

I hope this helps answer your question.

I found that info here http://www.fishpondinfo.com/danio.htm

Edited by Tay

:rofl go martha! saying what we all feel!

Wow, insulting much?

Totaly not being attacked. [/sarcasm] I do beleive you just proved me right.

Anyway, thanks to the people who actually did try to help.