Gary Is A Momma!

Laura

So we got this mystery snail almost a year ago, named him Gary, and kept him in his own 5 gallon filtered tank. He ate and grew and crawled and pooed and kept us all entertained. Then his filter stopped working so I had to move him into a bowl until I got a divider for the goldie tank. About 3 days after I put Gary into the 20 gallon fish tank, he... er, SHE laid a clutch of eggs above the waterline. ohmy.gif

Now how did that happen? Gary has been alone a LONG time. Do I have ~200 infertile eggs? Or was Gary just waiting for the Goldie tank because it would have been too easy to raise babies in the SNAIL tank!?rolleyes.gif

Any theories? Any advice?

Thanks!

wow cool! I had 2hickhiker snails in my last plant - I kept them they are called M and M :rofl they are tiny - I put them in my turtle tank were they have lost of stuff to eat. hope they wont become 5000 tho!

• Supporter

i think i saw my two apple snails having some smoochy time today! :oops: one was ontop of the other with very certain a connection.. they were like this and still moving around for over an hour.. also, i notice other times that one may pass over the other, but this is normally a 5 second thing for the "passing over" routine.. but today, they were stuck together and moving like a double decker snail bus!. could there possibly have been some :heart making?

Mystery snails can actually keep sperm inside them for years at a time until they find the right conditions for laying the eggs! That's why most people think snails are asexual. They DO sexually reproduce.....but the reproduction may come years after the initial :heart

Mystery snails can actually keep sperm inside them for years at a time until they find the right conditions for laying the eggs! That's why most people think snails are asexual. They DO sexually reproduce.....but the reproduction may come years after the initial heartpump.gif

ohmy.gif Years??? Wow... ok.

So maybies on the babies. Thanks for the info.

Any ideas on a pump/filter I can use in my 5 gallon that will not suck up the baby snails?

Any old filter will be fine, just make sure you have some sort of covering (like a sponge, or filter media bag) on the intake to keep snails out! :)

i think i saw my two apple snails having some smoochy time today! oops.gif one was ontop of the other with very certain a connection.. they were like this and still moving around for over an hour.. also, i notice other times that one may pass over the other, but this is normally a 5 second thing for the "passing over" routine.. but today, they were stuck together and moving like a double decker snail bus!. could there possibly have been some heartpump.gif making?

Well, it sure sounds like some heartpump.gif was goin' on. But if your gal is as big a procrastinator as my girl Gary, you've got until next Spring to get ready for the little bundles of snail joy!

• Supporter

i think i saw my two apple snails having some smoochy time today! oops.gif one was ontop of the other with very certain a connection.. they were like this and still moving around for over an hour.. also, i notice other times that one may pass over the other, but this is normally a 5 second thing for the "passing over" routine.. but today, they were stuck together and moving like a double decker snail bus!. could there possibly have been some heartpump.gif making?

Well, it sure sounds like some heartpump.gif was goin' on. But if your gal is as big a procrastinator as my girl Gary, you've got until next Spring to get ready for the little bundles of snail joy!

oooh.. yaaaay.. i've never had baby snails.. i hope they do the typical thing as i have read numerous times here and lay their eggs to the surface of the water so that they don't go unnoticed and get syphoned out... because by then, i would have forgotten about their little !ahem! "affair" :rofl

Mystery snails usually have an average lifespan of 2 years only and are not sexually matured until they reach the age of at least 3 months. I'm betting the eggs are simply infertile. Lots of eggs laid for the first time are often infertile.

Mystery snails usually have an average lifespan of 2 years only and are not sexually matured until they reach the age of at least 3 months. I'm betting the eggs are simply infertile. Lots of eggs laid for the first time are often infertile.

I'm about 50/50 on their fertility.

End of this week will make 3 weeks for the eggs. I've got an isolation tank floating under the eggs so that if any babies eat their way out, they'll have some spinach, cantalope and cucumber to munch on.

Waiting... and watching...

How do the eggs look? If blue, they're close to hatching. Same dull pink or white...dispose them.

Well, there is one I can see that has a dark spot in it, but all the rest look white or dull pink.

Thanks for the heads up!

Guess I'd better start preparing my DSs that we don't have baby snails on the way... cry3.gif