White Coating On Fish

plaid423

Hi. I really appreciate any help or advice. I rescued five goldfish from an abandoned water feature at a bar. Two are about 9 inches and three are about three or four inches. I have one of the little ones in a hospital tank, but now the other ones are sick as well. My main tank is 55 gallons with a whisper 70 filter on it, I have an air stone and I add conditioner to every water change. The levels are as follows, Ammonia: 0, Nitrites:0 Nitrates 0, and the Ph is about 6. I have tried to raise the Ph and the tap water is 7, but every time i do a water change, within a few hours the ph is back to 6. I hesitate to add chemicals or buffers right now because they are sick, but maybe that is the reason they are sick. One of the big fish has a white layer on her, it almost looks like she is shedding, but she isn't. The other large one is getting a little of it around his face. The two little ones look fine, but their top fins are starting to clamp. I have done 50% water changes everyday and I have added aquarium salt at 1/2 tsp per gallon. I have started Maracyn and Maracyn two,(yesterday) and they do not look worse, but they do not look better and now they are sucking at the top of the tank when I am not around. When I walk up to the tank they dive back down. I saw this behavior today and did another water change, it seems to calm them. I also cleaned my filter. I looked inside and there was a ton of blue slimy stuff coating the inside so I cleaned it with a paper towel. Their pooh is not normal. It is stringy and clear and sometimes it is redish brown. Could that be nematodes? Please help me. I have never owned a fish before and I would love for them to be happy and healthy. I have gone as far as starting to plan an outside water feature at our house, but that will take time, and I hope they make it. I do not know if they have a bacterial infection , fungal or parasites, and it seems very hard to diagnose. I have tried to take pictures, but they are all coming out really poorly. The last thing is that I think they now have septicemia, since one of the big fish has red leaching under her tail and it looks like it is now around her side fins. Thank you so much. I really appreciate any help. Rebecca

:welcome

I would not put meds right now. your tank isn't cycled and the changes in pH are dangerous to the fish. I would do a large water change now and take all the meds out. for the pH wait for someone else that has experience with a good product to use. the constant pH changes will do more harm than good.

the white coat sound like slime- this happens when there are changes in pH. the poo could also result from such pH stress. dont medicate for now. you have to first fix the pH and observe how they are then

i don't know your filter but make sure it has 550gph.

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

Hi. I really appreciate any help or advice. I rescued five goldfish from an abandoned water feature at a bar. Two are about 9 inches and three are about three or four inches. I have one of the little ones in a hospital tank, but now the other ones are sick as well. My main tank is 55 gallons with a whisper 70 filter on it, I have an air stone and I add conditioner to every water change. The levels are as follows, Ammonia: 0, Nitrites:0 Nitrates 0, and the Ph is about 6. I have tried to raise the Ph and the tap water is 7, but every time i do a water change, within a few hours the ph is back to 6. I hesitate to add chemicals or buffers right now because they are sick, but maybe that is the reason they are sick. One of the big fish has a white layer on her, it almost looks like she is shedding, but she isn't. The other large one is getting a little of it around his face. The two little ones look fine, but their top fins are starting to clamp. I have done 50% water changes everyday and I have added aquarium salt at 1/2 tsp per gallon. I have started Maracyn and Maracyn two,(yesterday) and they do not look worse, but they do not look better and now they are sucking at the top of the tank when I am not around. When I walk up to the tank they dive back down. I saw this behavior today and did another water change, it seems to calm them. I also cleaned my filter. I looked inside and there was a ton of blue slimy stuff coating the inside so I cleaned it with a paper towel. Their pooh is not normal. It is stringy and clear and sometimes it is redish brown. Could that be nematodes? Please help me. I have never owned a fish before and I would love for them to be happy and healthy. I have gone as far as starting to plan an outside water feature at our house, but that will take time, and I hope they make it. I do not know if they have a bacterial infection , fungal or parasites, and it seems very hard to diagnose. I have tried to take pictures, but they are all coming out really poorly. The last thing is that I think they now have septicemia, since one of the big fish has red leaching under her tail and it looks like it is now around her side fins. Thank you so much. I really appreciate any help. Rebecca

First, kudos to you for trying to save these fish. It's a really great thing for you to do.

I'm guessing that these fish are common and comet goldfish, and they require about 20 gallons of water each. I would highly recommend that you try and rehome some of a pond once you get them all healthy again.

First, your pH is very low and is probably contributing to their sickness. The white layer that you're seeing is probably the slime coat shedding off of your fish A very low pH will do that to fish and can even kill them from the shock. I would try and get a bag of crushed coral and get a stocking and fill the stocking with the crushed coral and put it in the filter box. Make sure you rinse the coral well so it doesn't cloud up the water. You can usually get a bag of florida crushed coral for around $15 at local fish stores. The coral will buffer the water so the pH will raise up and stay stable.

With Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0, and Nitrates 0, your tank is not cycled and will probably take a long time to cycle since your tank is now overstocked, so you will probably have to do very large daily water changes, as the ammonia will raise due to the fish wastes which can be toxic to your fish. You are also going to want to have x10 the gallonage turnover in the tank. So since you have 55 gallons of water. You're going to want to have filters that turn over 550 gallons of water.

Please don't add any salt, it could possibly be stressing them out more since we don't know what is exactly wrong with them yet, and no medicine yet either. I would make sure you keep track of how much salt you put it, and try to get it out. When you're using salt as a treatment, you are going to want to raise it to .3% by adding salt 3 times every 12 hours. http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/saltastreatment.html There is a link to salt treatment.

You said the fish are gulping at the surface, what is the temperature of your water? The higher the water temperature, the more difficult it is for your fish to get oxygen.

That was a lot of information to swallow, but first, I think you need to deal with the pH of your tank, and then you can move on from there. Get some crushed coral and put it in your filter box, and hopefully the pH will stablize to a number of 7.5 or above and the slime coat will stop shedding off.

I really hope they make it, they sound like such beautiful fish, and they're very lucky to have you as their savior.

Ph is dangerously low :yikes Both the white schluffing and gasping at the surface are strong indicators. It sounds like you def need some kind of buffer,and they sell them at your lfs,but try to stay away from things like "ph Up". Maybe something from Sea Chem or Kent. your ph is not being sustained by your kh or gh,and at that level will most def kill your fish. You can also use baking soda,but I will need to go see how much. Don't raise it all at once-maybe make a batch(you'll have to mix it w/ tank/dechlorinated water to dissolve it-thus you'll have a solution),and add it in 1/3 s at hour intervals. The best of luck to you :goodluck ,and please keep us posted ;)

Here is a link to a thread about it by Koko:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/65745-ph-kh-problems/

I'm still looking for the info about the baking soda.

Edit:Ok,here is 1 of my old threads where Trinket was helping me out w/ a low ph of 6.6.See post #14 where she refers to this as a temporary solution. I do use the referenced "Buff It Up" from goldfishconnection.com-it's great.

pH at 7/neutral is a very low starting point for goldfish and if your pH is dropping down that fast you most likely have very low or zero kH (thats the water's natural ability to hold the pH steady).

pH fluctations are a serious cause of concern. One of the deadliest. The first symptom is white peeling skin like your fish have. Some fish die at 6. I have lost fish to pH of 5.8. If you dont bring the pH up fast it will slip down farther. This is a very urgent situation.

Do you have any baking soda/sodium bicarbonate in the house? It can be used as a temporary measure..you need longterm coral in the tank (natural pH steadier) and or Buff-it-Up (Goldfishconnection.com) as suggested. Low cost pH Up products contain nothing but simple baking soda so last a very short time. More pricey pH up products like Buff-it-up contain a selection of minerals allowing for a sustained more stable steady release. Much better!

I just got home from work and they seem a little better. I will go to the store first thing and get the crushed coral, should I use a buffer as well? I read the link to the Ph/Kh discussion and it seems that coral takes a while to effect the problem and I really want them to have some relief now. I have a product called Bullseye 7.0 at home right now, but I have been afraid to use it because the store said that it worked really quickly and to be careful not to shcok the fish. Now I feel desperate to get them some relief. The only Baking Soda I have is for actually baking and I am afraid to put it in the tank for fear that it is contaminated with other baking products. ( incase I used a measuring spoon in the baking soda that was used in something else) Do you think the low Ph is causing the red around the fins and on the stomach of my very large Goldie? Thank you so much for the advice. It is all very overwhelming and the more I surf the internet, the more panicked I get.

Please don't panic :) Sorry if we alarmed you. You can use the product they gave you, even if it is gives you a sharp raise in pH. This is absolutely fine in your situation I assure you. The difference between a sudden rise and a sudden drop is vast. It is FAR less of a problem when pH suddenly rises as the alkaline levels (above 7) are sooooooooo much less dangerous than the acidic level below 7.

So stay calm and use that product while we work out a long term remedy to get you above 7 here :)

I have been following everyone's great advice and my Ph is 7 and holding strong. I used the Seachem buffer because it was a sunday and the best the fish store could offer. I also got the coral but they told me it would take a little bit to work and that I needed to do something faster in the mean while. My fish already look significantly better and the bleeding around my big fish's fins has almost totally cleared up!! The white fuzz around her is gone as well. I did feed them an antibiotic food on Sunday and Today and I did do one more Maracyn and Maracyn two treatment. Whatever has happened it has worked!! They seem so much happier and all four are eating better as well. I also switched their food from the Tetra to New Life Spectrum Optimum. Thank you for your help. I hope they stay healthy. I am doing 30% water changes everyday while the tank cycles. I hope that is not too much....or not enough. Thanks again. Any more advice is greatly appreciated.

great news!

as for the water changes - the best way to know how much to change is by testing the water. sometimes 'pushing it' a bit helps with a cycling tank.

Am so glad to hear good news. It sounds like you are on the right track. pH will be much safer at a level higher than 7. pH at 8 contrary to myth is actually an excellent pH for goldfish and beneficial bacteria. The coral will work, effect can take a few weeks to kick in, but is well worth the peace of mind and should raise and hold your pH several points above 7. Better.

I would warn against one thing and that is overmedicating your fish. Since this was a water issue alone, your fish healed because the pH rose NOT because the Maracyns worked.

The red is typical of the acid burn caused by dropping pH. The water comes first. Only when your water is perfect can you really look around and say hey my fish are still sick maybe next step is meds. Overmedicating and repeated use of antibiotics and medication in the water especially in a uncycled tank weakens a fishes immunity-period. Dont believe the sales blurb "cures red fins and spots " whatever..,,,they ALL say the same thing. It is not in their interest to tell you about the nitrogen cycle and how correct water chemistry heals your fish best.

Good luck. We are here for you at any point

Thanks for that advice as well. I am testing the water everyday and having a little trouble keeping the Ph up. I did read online that using Amquel as a water conditioner can lower Ph...Have you heard about this at all? it is what I use, but I am thinking of switching. My fish look and act better everyday. I really think their color is brighter as well! we are thinking of putting in a pond in the back yard, do you think they would be happier there? We are looking at about 12 ft by 8 ft and at least three and a half feet deep in part of the pond, or should it be that deep in all or it? Thanks for all the support and great advice!

you should try Prime - it is great stuff! it neutralizes ammonia and nitrites! PLUS conditions the water. I don't think you will need Amquel anymore for now as once you are in advanced cycling you just get nitrites and later just nitrates.

as for how to keep the pH up - wait for someone who has experience there - my pH never budges! :rofl

Thanks for that advice as well. I am testing the water everyday and having a little trouble keeping the Ph up. I did read online that using Amquel as a water conditioner can lower Ph...Have you heard about this at all? it is what I use, but I am thinking of switching. My fish look and act better everyday. I really think their color is brighter as well! we are thinking of putting in a pond in the back yard, do you think they would be happier there? We are looking at about 12 ft by 8 ft and at least three and a half feet deep in part of the pond, or should it be that deep in all or it? Thanks for all the support and great advice!

To keep the pH up you can try some crushed coral. It takes some time to take effect, but it works :D and keeps your pH stable for years. I would put a small amount in some pantyhose and make sure you rinse it thoroughly, and you can put it in your filter box.

As for a pond, you're going to want to have it deeper since birds and other animals can get into that so easily. You'd probably want 2 feet or deeper so herons and raccoons can't get in. Herons can wade in shallow water.

Fancies are better kept in tanks, I think, they can't handle the temperature changes in a pond as well and need to be taken back inside for the winter. Commons/comets on the other hand do very well in ponds.

Now I have a new problem. One of my big fish has really weird pooh. It is practically clear with very little pockets of color and has pockets of air. I find it floating on the top of the water and yesterday saw which fish it was coming from. Is this because of my Ph problems? Could they have a parasite? I just want them to be healthy. Thank you again

my fish get that when they are stressed and a bit constipated. try fasting a day and feeding de-shelled peas.

then if it continues once you pH is good and your water params are stable you can take into possibility parasites. but not until then.

good luck!

Now I have a new problem. One of my big fish has really weird pooh. It is practically clear with very little pockets of color and has pockets of air. I find it floating on the top of the water and yesterday saw which fish it was coming from. Is this because of my Ph problems? Could they have a parasite? I just want them to be healthy. Thank you again

If there are air bubbles in it your fish could possiblty be gulping air from the top of the water and or is constipated. like Federica said I would go ahead and feed some shelled peas to help clear your fishie's system.

I have been feeding shelled peas and a little of their food, that i have soaked in their water. It doesn't seem to be helping. Keeping up with the water changes and keeping the Ph in a healthy zone. What could be causing this problem? I haven't seen any worms, but their poop floats on the surface of the tank and is clear and really gross. Thank you for any and all help

I have been feeding shelled peas and a little of their food, that i have soaked in their water. It doesn't seem to be helping. Keeping up with the water changes and keeping the Ph in a healthy zone. What could be causing this problem? I haven't seen any worms, but their poop floats on the surface of the tank and is clear and really gross. Thank you for any and all help

I think they are gulping air from the top of the water. What are your water parameters for today? it could be them gulping from high ammonia or nitrite.

Edited by Tay