Tank 1: Pumpkin's Rear End Issue

j0shua

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10-20ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4. KH and GH should be on the lower side, but there's crushed coral in the filter.

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Never tested.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

[*]Water temperature? No thermometer, probably around 28 Celcius, 82 Farenheit.

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 22 Gallons, running for about 2 months.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Hagen Aquaclear 70 on max flow.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Usually 20% every other day.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2x Orandas, about 4" body length.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Hagen Nutrafin Aqua-Plus

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets, peas, broccoli, orange, zucchini, papaya, other veges. 3 small feedings daily.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? They were introduced to the uncycled tank 2 months ago. Tank cycled in 2 weeks with used media numerous water changes. Two java ferns recently added after a 1 week quarantine.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Salted lightly. Should be around 0.1% right now.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red fin streaks due to recent nitrate spike.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? They seem active as normal.

Introductions: Here's Ponyo on the left and Pumpkin on the right, jostling about for camera attention as usual.

4732304932_63fc0c0aa0.jpg

We've kinda assumed that Pumpkin's a girl, as she's got a slightly more rounded shape and lacks the breeding stars Ponyo has.

Now, two days ago, we noticed that Pumpkin (the larger of the two) had developed an extension in her rear vent. It's really hard to take photos of her bum as she loves the camera, and it's difficult to get her facing away from the lens.

Here's a side shot of the extended anal vent:

4732304940_933e9814d5.jpg

She's had peas for dinner, which explains the green poo. We have been finding a lot of poo recently, which isn't normal. Pumpkin tends to poo short poos in small amounts but constantly. They have been fed thrice daily, but relatively small amounts, but we've now reduced that to twice.

Now this vent extension looks to have small round opaque things inside.

Closer pic:

4732304946_26af3710a6.jpg

Our question is: Is she pregnant? Are those eggs in there? Or is it something else?

If it is eggs, ,what may have triggered it would be our introduction of the 2 java ferns two days ago, which has provided a lot of green in the tank. Other than that, the tank has been pretty much as it was for the past month or so.

Thanks for your help!

Update: her activity has slowed down, apparently she's basically sitting in the same spot and pooing a lot. It's a zig zag poo mostly, with bubbles in them. Reabsorbed eggs?

Here's an example from last night, with a little bubble and some black dots in it:

4731928743_bbd729f919.jpg

Is this cause for concern?

Also, we had assumed Ponyo was the male, due to his smaller size and the presence of breeding stars. We haven't really noticed any aggressive breeding behaviour on his part recently.

hmmm... not sure what it could be. but goldfish dont get 'pregnant' they lay eggs and the males fertilized them....

it doesn't look good - what comes into mind is some sort of swelling/infection. wait until someone more experienced with such things comes along. I would already put her her in a hospital tank for now... it might also be interior parasites causing this - not sure...

hope someone can tell you!

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

I agree, that does look like some sort of bad swelling.

How often do you feed her the fruit? You shouldn;t feed fruit like oranges and because they don't process the sugar very well. I would definitely do what Captain Findus said and put her in her own hospital tank so it doesn't pass on to Ponyo. Hopefully a more seasoned member can come in and maybe diagnose it.

Hi thanks for the replies.

Basically, what happened was that she did get 'pregnant' and those were eggs. However, Kanye, I mean, Ponyo, wasn't really interested in mating. So the eggs finally did make their way out, she was pretty much pushing them out/pooing nonstop in the afternoon. They came out all opaque, not transparent/translucent. Both of them promptly started eating them, but we removed most of them. She seems to be okay for now, just a little tired from all that.

Regarding the fruit, we do give them a tiny slice of orange as a treat once in maybe 2 weeks, as per directions provided in the Goldfish Food part of Koko's. They do like the fruit, but we are aware of keeping their sugar and carb intake in check.

Thanks again!

Hi thanks for the replies.

Basically, what happened was that she did get 'pregnant' and those were eggs. However, Kanye, I mean, Ponyo, wasn't really interested in mating. So the eggs finally did make their way out, she was pretty much pushing them out/pooing nonstop in the afternoon. They came out all opaque, not transparent/translucent. Both of them promptly started eating them, but we removed most of them. She seems to be okay for now, just a little tired from all that.

Regarding the fruit, we do give them a tiny slice of orange as a treat once in maybe 2 weeks, as per directions provided in the Goldfish Food part of Koko's. They do like the fruit, but we are aware of keeping their sugar and carb intake in check.

Thanks again!

I'm glad it was just eggs and nothing else! A catastrophe was avoided. :blink: It seems she had a lot, they must have excellent care if she laid eggs and it's a sign of a great fish daddy :D

That's great! It looks like you've got everything down and going well, I'm glad everything went ok. Think you'll try hatching any of the eggs?

Those were some very good, clear pictures. I'm glad everything is under control again. Certainly when a fish is re-absorbing eggs they can block the vent and it looks like a lump. Main thing she has expelled them :D. I would watch her in the future as these issues tend to recur.

Very glad all's well now :)

Thanks again.

Three days later, and everything is under control. Pumpkin is swimming around fine.

I wasn't around when she laid the eggs, but was told that the vent distended by a significant and alarming amount before releasing them. We had tried to get her to lay them earlier by providing a temperature change by introducing water that was a couple of degrees colder, coincidentally when a thunderstorm started, but she didn't respond. Anyways, the eggs came out all unfertilised and opaque, so we disposed of as many as we could while they hoovered up the rest.

I came across an article stating that multiple (say, 4 or more) feedings a day would encourage the production of eggs, as well as the presence of plants for which the eggs can attach themselves to. They've been fed well with a wide variety of foods, and the plants did indeed arrive a couple of days prior to her condition. The idea now is to prevent this issue from repeating itself, seeing as how it puts her in so much discomfort, and how Ponyo has no interest in mating.