Tums

seheap

I read somewhere that you can feed mystery snails tums and it makes their shells harder.....is this true? It seems kinda weird, but I think I read it on the apple snail forum......I just want a little more advice (and from people I know and trust! :) )

i do that for my turtle (the gel food thing) - but I also heard that adding cuttlebone in the tank slowly releases calcium in the water. I never tried it myself tho.

yea I also add it to the gel food - the only time I put it in the turtle tank - she thought it was a surfboard :doh11:

you could also grind the cuttlebone - and add it to the gel food. that way the snail would eat it.

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

I remember reading about this on some other forums. A lot of people seem to use Tums for their snails, I've never used them but I know one of my friends has and he seemed satisfied. I also remember a warning tho about the mint flavored Tums. Apparently in the mint ones there is an ingredient that can burn the snails foot.

Well, given the responses, I tried it.....He LOVED it! It was a lemon flavored one (I think, it was yellow and from a fruit flavored bottle).

But now I have lots of white snail poop all over my black sand! :doh11: Time to get out the syphon, methinks!

Wow, In my 30+ years of keeping fish I have never heard of that, adding tums post-4056-1113060392.gif . I glad it seems to work, and guess the saying is right ......you learn something new everyday.

Koko, your responce had me like this rofl3.gif

Here's something I found Sarah...hope this helps too. :)

-Dennis

Tums will count as calcium pill. It's just pure calcium carbonate with flavor added or not. The other alternative is Caltrate but unless you can find Caltrate without Vitamin D added, you shouldn't use one with Vitamin D for an extended time due to the possibility that vitamin D will harm the snails once it becomes excessive, and the snails will have difficulty flushing it out of their body due to it being an oil soluble vitamin.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no evidence until now that Vitamin D, when Caltrate with Vit D is used excessively, can kill your snails despite the theory. You can use Caltrate with Vit D just fine even on weekly basis without worrying.

Tums dissolve slower than Caltrate but both calcium tablets can dissolve quickly in acidic waters. Caltrate will dissolve still quicker though.

We've discussed this Tums issue in applesnail.net in 2008-2009 with no reported ill effects on all four flavors available. I remember my fellow member there, Annie Anderson suggesting Caltrate to me at first but I looked up Tums and to my surprise, my snails absolutely love it although I prefer Caltrate better since Tums can cloud the water badly (though no harm done).