Tropical Fish Suggestions

Well, after 9 years, my beloved goldie Gill has passed away :cry1 I'd like to thank everyone here who has helped me over the years with my goldies!

Since my Gill has gone, I have decided that I will not have any more gold fish, so I would like to start a tropical tank. It is 55 gallons, i have a ton of filtration...so now I would like some suggestions on what type of tropicals and how many of each I should put in there?

Got to have an angelfish or two as our main attractions and 8 or 9 cory cats. Then fill in from there. And don't forget your live plants.

Good Luck

well, i dont really have a preference. except that i dont want fish that need live food. haha

-i do have a chocolate albino pleco that I will be putting in the tank, so whatever would be compatable with him.

i'm also looking for fish that dont require quite as much work as goldies. I'd like to have alot of fish that swim at each water level, but i'm just not sure which those would be and which are compatable with eachother.

I do like the silver dollar fish, is that what they are..or hatchet fish? not sure, but i've seen them and they are cute, i like angelfish too.

Well ok since you have a common chocolate/albino pleco and they get huge that limits it some. Oh and they are even messier then goldfish.

You can do 3 silver dollors if you like they get about 8 inches. And a good tank mates for a pleco.

Or how about a couple fire mouths. They get large enough that they can defend themselfs from a pleco.

I would stay away from smaller fish. Plecos get large and have been knowns to eat even angelfish.

A single Jack Dempsey (they grow large but very slowly) can be kept with your pleco and a coupe silver dollors they would be great tank mates.

You can try smaller fish but at some point you would have to rehome or rehome the pleco.

sounds good. my pleco is pretty big. i've actually had him for 5 years now. I had him in with my goldies, but as they got older and sick and began bottom sitting, he started eating their tails, so he is currently in a 10 gal tank that he has been in for at least 2 years. it is too small for him, which is why i want to put him in the 55 gal.

Well, I got the tank moved from my old room in my parents house into my living room at my house. It is full and filter is up and running. Seeded with media from my pleco's tank. I'm on my way to town now to pick up gravel & bubble walls and decorations. Mr. Freddie pleco will be in there tonight and out of his tiny 10 gallon prison!

Yup, i only got 3 silver dollars because thats all i could afford :( but i'd like to get more, they are so cool. I really like the barbs too. i think its the schooling. i may pick up some more of each! however, this is not easy on the ol pocket book, thats for sure!

Many people keep just three silver dollors. They get like 8 inches. So they get pretty big. They are going to love that tank. If you have at least six of the bards I would not worry about more. That is asuming they are not something huge like tinfoil bards. lol

• 2 weeks later...